Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole system is still based on that rated range. So... When I start in the morning at 90% charge and it says 227 miles, I'm really not even close to that. 180 is probably a realistic range. If I charge to 100%, it says 248 miles but 200 is probably real. That's quite a difference. I'm planning a trip with 6 people and full luggage. Going through some mountains. I'm not even sure if we can make it between superchargers.

Keep it to the speed limit and you should be fine. It's better to arrive 5 minutes later than to embarrass yourself with a depleted battery.

On the way home from the service center, my wife drove the speed limit on a nice, 55 degree day and managed to get about rated mileage. That's not *too* bad, considering what winter performance is usually like. Prior to 7.0, my Model S average in summer was 300, and 355 in winter, an average of 320 overall.

When I'm in the Model X, I can't get under 400 yet - but then again, I've only driven her on days that are 35ish degrees.

20" wheels on ours. Range mode off (although I'm trying with range mode on now to see if there's any difference).

Keep in mind I come from a single-motor P85, so range mode doesn't really do much for me in the Model S other than keep the climate control from working fully. :)

A nice data point from the dragtimes article:

"One interesting data point we obtained during the 65 mile trip to the supercharger was the energy used by both cars. At around 75 MPH the Model X consumed 28.3 kWh (Avg 440 Wh/mi) while the Model S used 22.7 kWh (Avg 349 Wh/mi). This is quite a difference showing how the extra weight of the X can effect range and energy usage."

Both cars are P90D's with ludicrous.

"One interesting data point we obtained during the 65 mile trip to the supercharger was the energy used by both cars. At around 75 MPH the Model X consumed 28.3 kWh (Avg 440 Wh/mi) while the Model S used 22.7 kWh (Avg 349 Wh/mi). This is quite a difference showing how the extra weight of the X can effect range and energy usage."

Interesting data, but for a highway drive like this, the difference is most likely the difference in frontal areas rather than a difference in weights.

Model-X-vs-S-Energy-usage.jpg

Yes. Best comparison I have seen so far. Similar speeds/same driving conditions and similar (same) drivetrains.

Yes. Best comparison I have seen so far. Similar speeds/same driving conditions and similar (same) drivetrains.

I'm just curious, who drove the Model X during the trip? Maybe @fiksegts can answer that. I know from personal experiences that I tend to drive more economical over a longer period of stretch if I know I want to test the range. But others might just use their right foot a little extra now and then.

We can't really know how they were driven w/o seeing the energy usage chart. I'm seeing similar average energy numbers in my X, but have not had a long flat run for comparison. It seems that the glaciers long ago piled alluvial soil in lots of mounds and carved small mountains that make my energy usage chart look like a California seismograph.

Last edited:
I'm just curious, who drove the Model X during the trip? Maybe @fiksegts can answer that. I know from personal experiences that I tend to drive more economical over a longer period of stretch if I know I want to test the range. But others might just use their right foot a little extra now and then.

We can't really know how they were driven w/o seeing the energy usage chart. I'm seeing similar average energy numbers in my X, but have not had a long flat run for comparison. It seems that the glaciers long ago piled alluvial soil in lots of mounds and carved small mountains that make my energy usage chart look like a California seismometer chart.

IIRC: The wife drove the X and her husband the S. They drove them from location 'A' (their home I assume) to the race track covering identical roads at the same time and speed.

Here is the link: https://forums.teslamotors.com/foru...-world-record-set-during-husband-vs-wife-drag

IIRC: The wife drove the X and her husband the S. They drove them from location 'A' (their home I assume) to the race track covering identical roads at the same time and speed.

Here is the link: https://forums.teslamotors.com/foru...-world-record-set-during-husband-vs-wife-drag

Right, so could it be that she didn't dedicate herself to drive as economical as possible? That said, it could also be that he didn't do it in the Model S as well. I'm not saying that the X could ever meet the S' range and energy usage, but maybe we could see closer values if both parties where on the same page while driving.

Right, so could it be that she didn't dedicate herself to drive as economical as possible? That said, it could also be that he didn't do it in the Model S as well. I'm not saying that the X could ever meet the S' range and energy usage, but maybe we could see closer values if both parties where on the same page while driving.

I would also like to see some more quality side by side tests. To my knowledge this is the best, yet 'not perfectly objective/scientific' one, I have seen.

@Flasher: You got anything?

The video states they topped off the cars at the same place and time which the image seems to show. Yes she could have really punched it for the 65 miles but ???

I think Roamer is the only one I know who has gone sub 400 kw/mi in his car and that was after quite a few miles of break in.

We have seen estimates that to get the 250 miles of range you will have to come in around 330 kw/mi or so on a P.

I would also like to see some more quality side by side tests. To my knowledge this is the best, yet 'not perfectly objective/scientific' one, I have seen.

@Flasher: You got anything?

The only thing I have right now is a data point from the delivery drive home and it wasn't measured with enough rigor for me to feel comfortable with it. My wife drove the X loaded with my family, and a good friend drove the S (RWD P85 Sig). My wife babied the X the whole way, and was being followed (same roads - lanes - etc.) in the S. I believe the numbers were 290 Wh/mi in the S, and 350ish in the X. That would place them both right at rated mileage under the same conditions.

At some point in the not-so-distant future, perhaps I'll encourage my wife to come out with me and do a side-by-side.

I just took a long road trip from Tacoma, WA to Ashland, OR. Roughly 425 miles each way. Six people in the car with light luggage for 3 days but the car was pretty much maxed out for space. I had to use every supercharger on the route. Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true). Better weather on the way back. On the way down, I was 450 w/m. On the way back, I was 380 w/m. I wasn't sure that I would make it on the longest leg of 135 miles between stations. 2500 miles on the car so far and the average is 425 w/m. I can't come close to the rated 320 w/m. I think the realistic range is 150-175 miles per charge at 90%.

I'm really disappointed by this. It puts me on the edge of my daily driving for work. I'm going to have to install a HPWC at my office location for those times that I travel to my furthest business. It's significantly less range than the MS. I'd like to hear from anyone else if there is something I can do differently. Most of my miles are on the freeway at 65 mph which doesn't seem to me to be an excessive speed.

I just took a long road trip from Tacoma, WA to Ashland, OR. Roughly 425 miles each way. Six people in the car with light luggage for 3 days but the car was pretty much maxed out for space. I had to use every supercharger on the route. Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true). Better weather on the way back. On the way down, I was 450 w/m. On the way back, I was 380 w/m. I wasn't sure that I would make it on the longest leg of 135 miles between stations. 2500 miles on the car so far and the average is 425 w/m. I can't come close to the rated 320 w/m. I think the realistic range is 150-175 miles per charge at 90%.

I'm really disappointed by this. It puts me on the edge of my daily driving for work. I'm going to have to install a HPWC at my office location for those times that I travel to my furthest business. It's significantly less range than the MS. I'd like to hear from anyone else if there is something I can do differently. Most of my miles are on the freeway at 65 mph which doesn't seem to me to be an excessive speed.
You running on the 22s? The all season 20s are reported to get 10%+ better mileage.