Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y full charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been charging my MYP with the superchargers for ~ 2x a week up to the daily max mark only. When I took delivery almost 4 months ago, 80% charge gave me 271 miles, quickly it became 270 miles and in last couple months, that charged up to 269 miles, and recently became 268 miles for 1800 miles only on the car. Now, I am charging for the first time to 100%, and it maxed that charge at 298 miles instead of the 303 miles listed.
I'm not following the numbers. How did you show 271 miles on 80% charge for a MYP? 80% of 303 miles is 242 miles.

From what I understand, your estimated range varies based on your current average wh/mi. So as your driving habits change, your estimated range will change.

That is to say, your estimated range depends on the amount of energy (kwh) stored in your battery pack, and also on your own personal average wh/mi (how much energy it takes to drive the car one mile) which depends mostly on the speed you drive, how hilly it is, and whether or not it is cold outside.

• Disagree
Reactions: craigery
I have a MY Performance first, the most I have ever seen is 281. I don't think the range estimates are really accurate honestly. I am at 264 now, lowest I have seen is 260. I seem to fluctuate between 270 and 260, its gone up and down in that range about 3 times. The one thing I found though, when going on long trips, the estimated range is always off by 3-5% once I get to my destination... So I think the computer is conservative by nature, which is probably good. That said, I don't believe Tesla's public numbers, 290 on a Performance would be tough, would have to be super optimal conditions. I think 280 is more likely the true number. At the end of the day though, you can control this yourself some by not pushing the fun pedal as much ;). I have had this car over a year now, it really bothered me for the first few months, now I don't care.. give yourself some time to adjust to it and you will feel the same eventually.

I have a LR Y and the best I’ve been able to get on a 90% charge has been 240 miles (down to 3%). My daily commute is 30 miles and I charge once a week so I might be losing some % when the car’s not being driven (I’ve seen people say that you can lose 1% per day when you leave the Y sitting in a parking garage for several days).

I have a LR Y and the best I’ve been able to get on a 90% charge has been 240 miles (down to 3%). My daily commute is 30 miles and I charge once a week so I might be losing some % when the car’s not being driven (I’ve seen people say that you can lose 1% per day when you leave the Y sitting in a parking garage for several days).
That sounds right. Assume about 1 mile per day phantom loss (More if you use any app that wakes a sleeping Tesla). I assume I will get about 80% of the range shown by the car (Which is based on the EPA estimate, not your driving style), so you are doing a little better than that.

From what I understand, your estimated range varies based on your current average wh/mi. So as your driving habits change, your estimated range will change.

That is to say, your estimated range depends on the amount of energy (kwh) stored in your battery pack, and also on your own personal average wh/mi
No, that is not true. This thread is talking about the little "fuel gauge" and the number in that. I think every other brand of electric car EXCEPT Tesla does what you are describing, where that number is constantly shuffling around based on the driver's habits. (Usually called a Guess-O-Meter) Tesla does NOT do it that way.

That display in the Tesla is not a range estimator based on your driving style. It is just the car's attempted measurement of the amount of energy but then converted by a FIXED efficiency constant from the EPA testing. That is why it is called "rated" miles. The cars do have an Energy app that you can display on the screen, where it can show you a projection of real range remaining, based on your previous 5, 15, or 30 miles if you want a more realistic estimate, but that's separate from the fuel gauge.

I think that rather than focusing on that number next to the battery, Tesla should just get rid of it and stick with the %, while expending the capabilities of the Energy App (by adding range based on last 50 & 100 miles), and make the Energy App accessible with one tap on the Home screen. That would make things easier and take out a lot of confusion among new owner.

No, that is not true. This thread is talking about the little "fuel gauge" and the number in that. I think every other brand of electric car EXCEPT Tesla does what you are describing, where that number is constantly shuffling around based on the driver's habits. (Usually called a Guess-O-Meter) Tesla does NOT do it that way.

That display in the Tesla is not a range estimator based on your driving style. It is just the car's attempted measurement of the amount of energy but then converted by a FIXED efficiency constant from the EPA testing. That is why it is called "rated" miles. The cars do have an Energy app that you can display on the screen, where it can show you a projection of real range remaining, based on your previous 5, 15, or 30 miles if you want a more realistic estimate, but that's separate from the fuel gauge.
Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking it worked the same way as the energy app.

I think that rather than focusing on that number next to the battery, Tesla should just get rid of it and stick with the %, while expending the capabilities of the Energy App (by adding range based on last 50 & 100 miles), and make the Energy App accessible with one tap on the Home screen. That would make things easier and take out a lot of confusion among new owner.

I agree. My previous EV’s (Soul EV) range indicator was a GOM, and as much as I didn’t like how low it was compared to the EPA advertised range, it was fairly accurate and adjusted itself as I drove the car.

The battery icon Tesla has can show the percentage INSIDE the battery and at the same time have the GOM right next to the battery, showing both. And giving the option of showing EPA or estimated range and at what miles previously driven.

So easy to program, yet......

Absolutely not, that just makes knowing one's range more difficult. Just knowing the battery percentage involves a calculation of how many miles can I drive with that much power. It would be like telling me how many gallons of gas in an ICE vehicle. The EPA range available, calculated from the available battery power, is what I need and what I get at present. I know how the current conditions (temperature, wind, elevation) and my driving style (speed, acceleration mode etc.) will affect the actual consumption and can plan accordingly.

Absolutely not, that just makes knowing one's range more difficult. Just knowing the battery percentage involves a calculation of how many miles can I drive with that much power. It would be like telling me how many gallons of gas in an ICE vehicle. The EPA range available, calculated from the available battery power, is what I need and what I get at present. I know how the current conditions (temperature, wind, elevation) and my driving style (speed, acceleration mode etc.) will affect the actual consumption and can plan accordingly.
Agree completely. % is nothing more than sticking your head in the sand. I know that the rated miles number is optimistically high by some ballpark fudge factor, but it does at least convey some real information you can relate to. % means all kinds of different things on different sized batteries and different models of vehicles.

If you read my post in its entirety, you'll see that I say that they should show the energy app readily accessible, for actual realistic range. What is the point of doing the math in your head (let's say you know that 1 mile of EPA rating will actually get you 0.7 mile in real life), when you could have the Energy app doing that, based on your last 100 miles driven, for example? Your last 100 miles driven are a much better indication of your driving style, and the actual range that you will get with said driving style, temperatures etc...

And actually, the gas gauge in an ICE car is exactly what you mention, just a rough estimate of how many gallons are in the tank. It's never bothered anyone for the past few decades, last I checked?

If you read my post in its entirety, you'll see that I say that they should show the energy app readily accessible, for actual realistic range. What is the point of doing the math in your head (let's say you know that 1 mile of EPA rating will actually get you 0.7 mile in real life), when you could have the Energy app doing that, based on your last 100 miles driven, for example? Your last 100 miles driven are a much better indication of your driving style, and the actual range that you will get with said driving style, temperatures etc...

And actually, the gas gauge in an ICE car is exactly what you mention, just a rough estimate of how many gallons are in the tank. It's never bothered anyone for the past few decades, last I checked?
I would rather rely upon a reliable base number to estimate my next 100 miles of driving than the actual results of the last 100 miles, the past is not necessarily a good basis to estimate the future.

As for using the gas gauge, as long as I remember my ICE cars showed miles remaining also, and that was always my guide because it most closely related to my trip.

And that number that ICE cars show is based on the last 30-50 miles driven. You keep making my point lol.

If I never drive more efficiently than 260kw/mi, why would I care what the EPA rated range with 240kw/mi is? It doesn't make much sense. But I guess the different preferences are why Tesla has both options and it will probably stay that way, confusing new owners who don't understand that they are only getting 220 miles flying down the freeway when the number next to the battery said 326 miles...

Last edited:
Reactions: 73Bruin
And that number that ICE cars show is based on the last 30-50 miles driven. You keep making my point lol.

If I never drive more efficiently than 260kw/mi, why would I care what the EPA rated range with 240kw/mi is? It doesn't make much sense. But I guess the different preferences are why Tesla has both options and it will probably stay that way, confusing new owners who don't understand that they are only getting 220 miles flying down the freeway when the number next to the battery said 326 miles...
Sorry but your "point" makes no sense to me (Nor mine to you, obviously)

However why try to introduce a new owner to wh/mi (fortunately it is not kw/mi!). "How far can I drive before recharging?" is the basic question. 326 may be the answer, with qualification about conditions and driving style. No need for another layer of data.

We must agree - to disagree.

Not sure it this will make you feel better or worse, but my MY LR AWD shows a 100% charge of 289 miles. It has slowly gone down from 316 when new to 289 now 5000 miles later. It is normal according to Tesla service.

Tesla service said that there should be 8-9% battery degradation after only 5k miles driven? Just want to confirm that is what they said....because that sounds atrocious.

I have about 15k miles on my MY LR AWD and at full charge range is 316mi.

I have just under 2k on my MY. According to Tezlab, I'm currently at 75% SOC, which translates to 242 miles (322 at 100%) or 'real world' range of 202 (266 at 100% SOC). The difference, I assume, is that the higher number is based on the EPA rating while the lower number is based on my driving habits. I'm currently at an average of 85% efficiency, so I guess that's the reason for lower real world range. Still getting into all of the info available in this app!