Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I didn't realize Munro had released the battery analysis, thought that was only for paying customers.

He didn't release to public the full results, but he did offer the most important items which were the total cell count in the pack (it's a full pack, no dead or missing cells) the pack capacity (slightly less than MYLR), and from that you can get the cell-capacity which ends up less than the goals listed in the famous battery-day white paper. Munro I think even hinted that the missing energy density looked to be in the details of the 4680 cell chemistry which is different than what they're using on 2170 right now - possibly for manufacturing and other challenges in the new form factor. It is likely Tesla will sort that out and a future 4680 will exceed 2170 energy density but right now it's not actually superior which is why we've not yet seen it used in huge volume.

And again - I expect we will see the huge volume in 2023, but due to the missed-window on the MYLR that volume might go first to the CT or Semi.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
He didn't release to public the full results, but he did offer the most important items which were the total cell count in the pack (it's a full pack, no dead or missing cells) the pack capacity (slightly less than MYLR), and from that you can get the cell-capacity which ends up less than the goals listed in the famous battery-day white paper. Munro I think even hinted that the missing energy density looked to be in the details of the 4680 cell chemistry which is different than what they're using on 2170 right now - possibly for manufacturing and other challenges in the new form factor. It is likely Tesla will sort that out and a future 4680 will exceed 2170 energy density but right now it's not actually superior which is why we've not yet seen it used in huge volume.

And again - I expect we will see the huge volume in 2023, but due to the missed-window on the MYLR that volume might go first to the CT or Semi.
right - that's the bit I was most interested in. I remember early on there was speculation on the cell capacity and that whole "its a software limited pack" thing.

Taking guesses on price? I’m hoping for low fifties. Probably a pipe dream. It’s just a tough pill to swallow since we picked up a brand new Y-LR earlier this year for $53k.
Depends on if they deliver Tri motor first or single motor. I’d expect the Tri motor to be at least 80 and maybe down to 45 for the single once construction efficiencies at scale are factored in.

Taking guesses on price? I’m hoping for low fifties. Probably a pipe dream. It’s just a tough pill to swallow since we picked up a brand new Y-LR earlier this year for $53k.

I would expect a slow decline in prices as Tesla balances cheaper supply chain costs and demand-vs-production capacity.

I think the MYLR "wants" to be back at a mid-$50k product price. Not sure when we get there. Remember that starting jan 1 there should be $7500 in government cash with each purchase

I would expect a slow decline in prices as Tesla balances cheaper supply chain costs and demand-vs-production capacity.

I think the MYLR "wants" to be back at a mid-$50k product price. Not sure when we get there. Remember that starting jan 1 there should be $7500 in government cash with each purchase

Plus ~$3700 that goes directly to Tesla for in-USA battery production (in addition to the $7500).

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
For MY? Likely 0. Probably stockpiling 4680 cells for other vehicles unless there are current photos showing current pack production. They have stockpiled quite a few but is that number growing?
So the 279 mile 4680 Model Y was just a testing/development platform? I hope they bring it back. I don’t need a ton of range, but would like AWD.

There is at least 1 4680 Model Y AWD available at the Sunnyvale, CA location on El Camino Real and 1 at the Fremont Facotry per the Tesla existing inventory search. Less than 50 miles so unless these were look only demonstration cars and not test drive, they are brand new and being shipped to CA from TX.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 7.23.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 7.25.29 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke and DrGriz
There is at least 1 4680 Model Y AWD available at the Sunnyvale, CA location on El Camino Real and 1 at the Fremont Facotry per the Tesla existing inventory search. Less than 50 miles so unless these were look only demonstration cars and not test drive, they are brand new and being shipped to CA from TX.

View attachment 893814View attachment 893815
I’d consider at $55k. No way is it worth $62k.

They should sell it at $55k just lower the range closer to Standard Range RWD and Call it Standard Range AWD. Everyone will be happy.
Except investors. And you can’t just “lower the range” without re-engineering the battery pack. And the demand would increase so much that people wouldn’t buy the LR 2170 based model because the price difference including the tax rebate would be $66k-$55k+$7.5k=$18.5k. That’s a lot for 51 more miles of range. $363/mile. Applying that to the whole 330 miles of range makes the LR MY “worth” $120k.

Also, that $18,500 difference is almost enough to buy a Chevy volt ($27,500-$7500 rebate).