Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn’t a simple solution be to ship 2170s (regardless of US geography) to people who paid 8k less and 4680s to people who paid 8k more? (Assuming you’re have to run two separate lines for a brief period.)

Assumption: you want to run the model you’re going to run but can’t swap Fremont out immediately. So ship 90kwh to higher prices, people who want can reorder at new prices or take delivery of what they were promised?

If people don’t want the 2170, they can order anew, but there’s probably plenty of people out there who’d happily take 2170 and $8k in their pocket…
None of this speculation is going to have any influence on what Tesla does.
Tesla is expected to explain it in a few days at the Q4 Earnings call.
There's no point banging your keyboard in the meantime.

We are here because we don’t want to sit idly and do nothing. If you don’t want to hear us banging our keyboards, please wait patiently somewhere else.
Wouldn’t a simple solution be to ship 2170s (regardless of US geography) to people who paid 8k less and 4680s to people who paid 8k more? (Assuming you’re have to run two separate lines for a brief period.)

Assumption: you want to run the model you’re going to run but can’t swap Fremont out immediately. So ship 90kwh to higher prices, people who want can reorder at new prices or take delivery of what they were promised?

If people don’t want the 2170, they can order anew, but there’s probably plenty of people out there who’d happily take 2170 and $8k in their pocket…
This is basically what I am saying. The 90kwh you speak of would be a new more expensive trim. LR+.

I forgot, we’re the ones who paid 8K more promised something different?

Of course not. Do you really think Tesla is going to make changes to vehicles in its order queue and then suddenly only make them to certain orders based on who paid more regardless of the fact that the people have been waiting up to a year? As much as you want to justify paying 8K more, it would never happen.

My guess is it will be something like the M3 with LFP batteries. And email explaining the car you could get right now 2170 with a discount maybe or wait indefinitely for 4680. Regardless i don’t mind either way as long as the rest of the car is the same and the range difference is not like 150miles or more.

I forgot, we’re the ones who paid 8K more promised something different?

Of course not. Do you really think Tesla is going to make changes to vehicles in its order queue and then suddenly only make them to certain orders based on who paid more regardless of the fact that the people have been waiting up to a year? As much as you want to justify paying 8K more, it would never happen.

Most of the people that have waited a year at this point are ones that voluntarily put their orders on hold in hopes of the tax credit.

They could have had their vehicles by now if they wanted to.

IMHO, those who were holding out for the tax credits should be moved to the back of the line compared to the ones that never put their orders on hold and have EDD's of June, July, and September( my moms Y is in this camp.....). Serious customers should be prioritized.

My guess is it will be something like the M3 with LFP batteries. And email explaining the car you could get right now 2170 with a discount maybe or wait indefinitely for 4680. Regardless i don’t mind either way as long as the rest of the car is the same and the range difference is not like 150miles or more.
Tesla is not going to charge a premium more for something it has long touted as making its cars signficantly less expensive to make. 4680s are much cheaper batteries, and Tesla is all about getting costs down and efficiency up in the manufacturing process and it likes to trumpet that.
It has a solution to the marketing and manufacturing-timing dilemma the battery switch poses, but charging more for 4680s because half of the 2 percent of its order holders who are on forums paying attention to this are in a lather? That ain’t it.

Reactions: tangible1
Rule of thumb. If the only reason you know about something is because you are on a forum or follow random accounts on twitter - the company and public doesn’t care.

There will be no new model or range change. Tesla has already said that. You will be buying a Model Y LR with 330 miles of range. Some might get closer to 340 but the specs will be the same. The only people arguing about battery types will be us. And within a couple months Fremont will flip over anyways

Just like the chips. If more than 500 people ever put a hold on because of the AMD swap I’d be shocked. Yet this forum would make you think there are thousands of unwanted Intel model ys sitting in lots…

Rule of thumb. If the only reason you know about something is because you are on a forum or follow random accounts on twitter - the company and public doesn’t care.

There will be no new model or range change. Tesla has already said that. You will be buying a Model Y LR with 330 miles of range. Some might get closer to 340 but the specs will be the same. The only people arguing about battery types will be us. And within a couple months Fremont will flip over anyways

Just like the chips. If more than 500 people ever put a hold on because of the AMD swap I’d be shocked. Yet this forum would make you think there are thousands of unwanted Intel model ys sitting in lots…
Exactly! This forum is a tight little bubble. Tens of thousands of Y’s on order and seemingly a slowly rotating cast of like, 20 people here discussing this stuff at any given time. I’d bet 90 percent of the buyers have never heard of 4680s. Let alone lithium 12v, front castings (or even rear ones), heated windshield wipers, wood door trim for the Y or -- the holy grail of handwringing! -- ventilated seats.
85 percent are probably unaware of a Texas factory. I saw one on twitter yesterday crowing because she had just heard about it and said it was great because now her car might not be made in China. Uhhhh....
The concerns here could scarcely be more esoteric. Fremont is making a really, really nice Y these days. Most of us prob wouldn’t be able to tell the difference driving that or a 4680.

Last edited:
Exactly! This forum is a tight little bubble. Tens of thousands of Y’s on order and seemingly a slowly rotating cast of like, 20 people here discussing this stuff at any given time. I’d bet 90 percent of the buyers have never heard of 4680s. Let alone lithium 12v, front castings (or even rear ones), heated windshield wipers, wood door trim for the Y or -- the holy grail of handwringing! -- ventilated seats.
85 percent are probably unaware of a Texas factory. I saw one on twitter yesterday crowing because she had just heard about it and said it was great because now her car might not be made in China. Uhhhh....
The concerns here could scarcely be more esoteric. Fremont is making a really, really nice Y these days. Most of us prob wouldn’t be able to tell the difference driving that or a 4680.
Don't forget air suspension!

Maybe Tesla will switch off Fremont for upgrades after Texas goes up. That way everyone gets the same car.

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
Agree with the rest of your post but where did you hear Tesla announcement about model Y range with new battery?
There was no announcement, it is just another personal speculation like most on here. That is what some people enjoy about this. Others just want provable facts.

I understand 4680 is cheaper to produce and all that, but that was based on expectation before one cell was made. Just looking at what they imagined the inputs and outputs would be. Until they reach scale production, they have no idea what the actual costs are. Let’s look at LFP batteries. Aren’t they supposed to be cheaper due to the materials used? Yet when they put those in M3, they had to put in more to get the same range and they still charged the same price even though the packs were supposedly less expensive.

Even if they keep the range at 330, the extra efficiencies will mean less weight which will mean better acceleration. Like close to MYP level so why would anyone buy a MYP if you could get the same performance from LR MY? Something has to change when 4680s go in. Either both lines need to switch at the exact same time (after a week or so pause to get all old cars out in the wild) or they will start selling a different trim. Maybe the 2170s go into a LR RWD with longer range and 4680s stay with LR AWD and both cars will have the same range and performance. Maybe they’ll start the SR Y again using 2170s (they did resubmit to epa).

There was no announcement, it is just another personal speculation like most on here. That is what some people enjoy about this. Others just want provable facts.

I understand 4680 is cheaper to produce and all that, but that was based on expectation before one cell was made. Just looking at what they imagined the inputs and outputs would be. Until they reach scale production, they have no idea what the actual costs are. Let’s look at LFP batteries. Aren’t they supposed to be cheaper due to the materials used? Yet when they put those in M3, they had to put in more to get the same range and they still charged the same price even though the packs were supposedly less expensive.

Even if they keep the range at 330, the extra efficiencies will mean less weight which will mean better acceleration. Like close to MYP level so why would anyone buy a MYP if you could get the same performance from LR MY? Something has to change when 4680s go in. Either both lines need to switch at the exact same time (after a week or so pause to get all old cars out in the wild) or they will start selling a different trim. Maybe the 2170s go into a LR RWD with longer range and 4680s stay with LR AWD and both cars will have the same range and performance. Maybe they’ll start the SR Y again using 2170s (they did resubmit to epa).
Whatever modest acceleration gains from saving a couple hundred more pounds (I’m not buying 400-plus), the MYP will reap them from 4680s just as MYLR will. They’re going to keep this simple.

Reactions: Tesraki
Well said. I knew none of this when I decided to buy a Tesla. 2 months later, I joined this forum and learned all of this. Timing wise, I might get all of the above or some of it. Either way I am getting more than I expected when I first ordered back in August

It’s also true the price on Y was lifted multiple times in 2021. So... if you ordered at $3,000 less than current, say, should Tesla give you a proportional mix of old vs new battery size? And change that ratio just a little more for $4,000? etc etc

Last edited:
I heard from a friends cousin who has a brother in law that works for the company that removes trash on site that the man that was picking up the garbage said he was told by the guy that was doing some electrical on line one that my MYP will be from Austin and it will have the new batteries, AMD and he also said something about a rear glass being extra quiet.

You can take that to the bank.

I heard from a friends cousin who has a brother in law that works for the company that removes trash on site that the man that was picking up the garbage said he was told by the guy that was doing some electrical on line one that my MYP will be from Austin and it will have the new batteries, AMD and he also said something about a rear glass being extra quiet.

You can take that to the bank.
Dude! You’re in so TIGHT with Deep CyberDuck! The source that all the hype websites and stock analysts are using! But how how how?

Also, what about the ventilated seats? I would totally put that on hold till 2024 unless the Yoda of Garbage says you’re getting them.

Give me Intel, 2170s, single pane glass, no Sonic the Hedgehog, car from Fremont, Austin or Shanghai....just give me my car.