Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to stop referencing the CT like it’s coming out next week. Best case is 2023, so battery allocations for it are meaningless right now.
We still need to consider the amount of batteries they will need for the CT and the amount they will need fo the MYP & MYLR since there are over 1M reservations

If they decide to convert the all MY to 4680's they limit CT production or release date.

If they can sell :
100k MY's with 2170's and 100K CT's with 4680's Or
100K MY's with 4680's and 50k CT with 4680's

Tesla is all about production numbers and I don't see them making any moves which force them to make fewer cars . They said they were not battery limited in 2022 but they will be battery limited in 2023 and the CT is the reason for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
God, if it's air suspension, I might be forced to wait. That's a pretty substantial upgrade. Eff the batteries. haha

From a marketing standpoint, I think an air suspension on Model Y would encroach on the upmarket S and X cars, so not a lot of reason for Tesla to invest in that direction even if we'd find it delightful. Let's cheer for double-glazed rear windows, matrix headlights and maybe a package shelf? :)

Reactions: preilly44
I've noticed that, too. Also with regard to MYP orders vs LR...
I was waiting for a LR for over 6 months changed to a P a couple weeks ago.

It never made marketing sense that they would be producing a 2170 LR at Fremont and a 4680 LR at Austin but I initially thought that the LR would get the 4680 first when they announced that the MY would be shipping from Austin last quarter since the LR was more backloged.

However, once they released the info about the MYSR with the smaller 280 range coupled with the battery production numbers it made it more likely that just the SR varient would be coming out of austin initially. 1M batteries a month only gets them 1K carsv and having to share that 1K between a LR & SR makes no sense . Hopefully all is revealed tomorrow...

Looks like the third pic is highlighting the rear single cast. Fremont already has that right?
That rubber boot looks to be the standard suspension from the 3 & Y shown here.

1649267074002.png

This thread is kind of amusing. The people that are in the most vocal opposition (dissention?) to the 4680s being imminent in the Y, are unsurprisingly people that also already own Model Ys. The other side is largely populated by people who don't.

Buy the rumor, sell the news!
I don't own a Tesla yet, but I don't care 4680. I actually doubt it's beneficial to end users.

so, one more $40 camera? or is the blind spot something would it take more hardware than that?
If the missing spot is in the middle of a door panel, are you just going to drill a hole in the panel and glue the camera to the car? They’d need to redesign a panel and wiring harness and then all the back end programming, etc. It’s not a small task.

From a marketing standpoint, I think an air suspension on Model Y would encroach on the upmarket S and X cars, so not a lot of reason for Tesla to invest in that direction even if we'd find it delightful. Let's cheer for double-glazed rear windows, matrix headlights and maybe a package shelf? :)
The Austin cars we’ve seen do not have any of these. And there’s no shelf. If you get anything it will be a privacy cover. Something rigid enough to hold a package would be a giant pain to remove if you had a taller package. Or stroller or whatever.

If the missing spot is in the middle of a door panel, are you just going to drill a hole in the panel and glue the camera to the car? They’d need to redesign a panel and wiring harness and then all the back end programming, etc. It’s not a small task.

The Austin cars we’ve seen do not have any of these. And there’s no shelf. If you get anything it will be a privacy cover. Something rigid enough to hold a package would be a giant pain to remove if you had a taller package. Or stroller or whatever.
well, that’s an if. someone is guessing there’s a spot missing, im not hearing that is certain or if so where it is. The fix should be easy and this is something that should be on the car that shouldn’t cost them much at all. less than say the headlight swap or maybe even the rear cover thing.

I don't own a Tesla yet, but I don't care 4680. I actually doubt it's beneficial to end users.

If it means better performance in low temperatures, more charging cycles with less degradation, faster charging times, all of those would be considered more beneficial to your typical user than something like double paned windows.

well, that’s an if. someone is guessing there’s a spot missing, im not hearing that is certain or if so where it is. The fix should be easy and this is something that should be on the car that shouldn’t cost them much at all. less than say the headlight swap or maybe even the rear cover thing.

This is a visualation taken from an autopilor car . Youtube will let you drag it in 360. You definitley get a 360 view There are some wider blindspots on the right and left of the car since the cameras are not directly at the ground. They could do a 360 view but there would be some data missing next to the car and if you were using it to navigate you could hit something. I suspect this is why they did not release it

Not "Official" deliveries, but they could invite people from around the state, and then go through the whole rigmarole of getting the car delivered out of state and bringing it back in.
Tesla does not have to do that. They have the paperwork transactions done out of state. My Model 3 transaction was to Nevada. According the the SA 3 weeks ago, we will have the option of pickup at SC, home delivery or factory pickup.

Reactions: advocate8