Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubt Fremont shuts down anymore with China being shut down.
Not sure one has anything to do with the other. They support different markets. Not sure why people feel Fremont is going to shut down for retooling, I have seen nothing to suggest that other than some posts here guessing. And if they did, wouldnt have anything to do with China closing, it would be about making the process better and faster and cheaper. Probably do it a line at a time not a full shutdown. Its not like Everything is going to change.

Reactions: DrGriz
Isn't it a sad state of affairs, when we all have to get excited about the addition of a parcel tray on a $60,000 car, when it was something standard on the 1971 Ford Pinto? Bean Counters win! Hey, we've added a parcel shelf, let's raise the price by another $1000!
lol. It speaks more of us than Tesla, how spoiled we have become :) .
I still remember time when people had to wait years for new model to come out to get new features.

The parcel shelf wasn't offered at a time when we ordered our cars. We have agreed to get the car the way it was offered. That was the deal.

It would be nice of them to add this option but we shouldn't be so negative about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silence88
Not sure one has anything to do with the other. They support different markets. Not sure why people feel Fremont is going to shut down for retooling, I have seen nothing to suggest that other than some posts here guessing. And if they did, wouldnt have anything to do with China closing, it would be about making the process better and faster and cheaper. Probably do it a line at a time not a full shutdown. Its not like Everything is going to change.
It's going to require a fairly significant shutdown to switch to the 4680s and the battery tray. It's related to Shanghai's closing for COVID and overall quarterly numbers. Don't forget the bean counters $$$$$

Isn't it a sad state of affairs, when we all have to get excited about the addition of a parcel tray on a $60,000 car, when it was something standard on the 1971 Ford Pinto? Bean Counters win! Hey, we've added a parcel shelf, let's raise the price by another $1000!
OMG, if they actually add a parcel tray, and that magnetic latch for the console, I may have to put my order on hold to ensure I get it.

I hope a lot feel that way, then I may get mine faster cause I am not going to wait.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Interesting video on the potential for higher pack voltages from the 4680 pack:

Faster Supercharging, more compatibility with CCS charging, and also the potential to add 4 more ribbons of 69 cells to the AWD SR pack, and enable 380 miles of range for an LR+.
Even his initial assumption (81 kWh with the 828 cells) is false. Already proven to be ~68 kWh on the basis of the EPA docs.

Interesting perspective. I personally don’t care for parcel shelf bc it is usually on the way of bulkier items I load in to the trunk so I ended up removing it and driving without one in cars where I had one.

Last edited:
Even his initial assumption (81 kWh with the 828 cells) is false. Already proven to be ~68 kWh on the basis of the EPA docs.

Did we watch the same video?

1650034641101.png

Frequent drone flyer from Fremont factory noticed on 4/4 (below YouTube link) that factory was kind of closed and had very less traffic. Not sure if they were retooling or what was going on. Look at few other videos just to see how busy they are…

Interesting video on the potential for higher pack voltages from the 4680 pack:

Faster Supercharging, more compatibility with CCS charging, and also the potential to add 4 more ribbons of 69 cells to the AWD SR pack, and enable 380 miles of range for an LR+.
Stunningly good, best I have seen yet on topic. Sadly does not improve our chances of getting a further develop model Y performance any time soon.

Reactions: willow_hiller