Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did he measure both an SR AWD and LR on the same scale?

Edit: Just found the video. So he's claiming after subtracting his weight and cargo, his Model Y measures at 4220 lbs. And he cites 4555 lbs as the MYLR weight. But on Tesla's website, the weight for the MYLR is listed as 4363 lbs or 4398 for the MYP. 140 lb difference is pretty decent, but probably can be explained entirely by the battery capacity difference

Yeah, I was following the different weight threads with interest too. Official weight is almost the same between MYAWD and MYLR. Then we have this one data-point which unfortunately is isolated and relies on both the accuracy of the particular scale and the assumptions for equating to official curb weight. A back-to-back on the same scale with a MYLR would have been vastly more interesting since I think he's got 100 pounds or more of assumptions in the exercise.

Bottom line for me is that so far, the MYAWD is not showing much weight savings from structural-battery-mega-cast yet.

The MY chassis using F+R megacasts can use a 4680 structural battery pack, or a 2170 non-structural pack.
Both have been exhibited at Giga Factory open house events, Berlin then Austin.
If the 2170 pack is used, the chassis requires an additional floorpan of sheet steel.
We don't really know which chassis assembly is being used in Berlin. Nor do we know what a MYLR chassis assembled at Austin would be.

I would presume both GF's would use the F+R megacast chassis, because of the production efficiency and cost savings so often cited by them.
It would be unlike Tesla to invest in the parts and processes and not take full advantage.
But we don't really know; there are no reviews I know of showing what's what.

What we DO know is Front Megacasts have been being made and stored at both Fremont and Austin for some time.
At Fremont, they're stored outdoors, lined up in rows on end (not in the stacked production frames as the rear casts are). In Austin, they're indoors.
These have been shown on many occasions via drone videos.

The only new info I've seen is from 'Spoken Reviews' on YT, in which he took his Austin-made 4680 MY SR AWD to a public scale.
He said the result was his SR AWD was 200lbs less than a MYLR - different than the EPA tag which said it was only 75 less than a MYLR.
I have not seen these full chassis examples of F+R megacasts and different types of batteries. Can you please point me to those pictures/videos? I have only seen the battery packs exhibited at each facility.

There is a post saying use of the front megacast with 2170 requires a separate floor. How does this differ from the 2170 at Fremont? Seems like everyone is trying to reinvent Tesla’s wheel by adding all these steps when they have a system that works to the tune of 500k+ worldwide. Why change that? The rear megacast didn’t require a new floor. It was seamlessly integrated into the Fremont line without much delay. Why wouldn’t they engineer the front the same way? You all expect Tesla to take these massive steps forward. They have proven they are susceptible to quite a few missteps along the way.

I look at the 4680 MY as an engineering exercise that didn’t meet expectations so I’m the end, it will be shelved for what is known and reliable. Look at the math. No matter how much they are saving in manufacturing and assembly, they are losing more revenue due to lower sales.

Assume $5k savings from megacast and 4680 (probably high but multiply total savings by whatever amount you think the actual savings is).

Fremont gross revenue per week
5,000 x $60k = $300 million

Austin
300 x $60k + 300 x $5k = $19.5 million

If they can ramp Austin faster by using a copy of the 2170 Fremont line, it will be much better for the bottom line than any savings 4680 will provide until 4680 can be produced at volume to make 5,000 cars per week. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 millions cells per week. Last we heard (and backed up by LR Austin vins in the 4,000 range) they are around 1 million cells per month (300 cars/week). They need to make 4 times what they are currently making in a quarter of the time. Throw in needing to realize all the CT revenue and 4680 in MY has a bleak future for a few years.

Reactions: advocate8
I have not seen these full chassis examples of F+R megacasts and different types of batteries. Can you please point me to those pictures/videos? I have only seen the battery packs exhibited at each facility.

There is a post saying use of the front megacast with 2170 requires a separate floor. How does this differ from the 2170 at Fremont? Seems like everyone is trying to reinvent Tesla’s wheel by adding all these steps when they have a system that works to the tune of 500k+ worldwide. Why change that? The rear megacast didn’t require a new floor. It was seamlessly integrated into the Fremont line without much delay. Why wouldn’t they engineer the front the same way? You all expect Tesla to take these massive steps forward. They have proven they are susceptible to quite a few missteps along the way.

I look at the 4680 MY as an engineering exercise that didn’t meet expectations so I’m the end, it will be shelved for what is known and reliable. Look at the math. No matter how much they are saving in manufacturing and assembly, they are losing more revenue due to lower sales.

Assume $5k savings from megacast and 4680 (probably high but multiply total savings by whatever amount you think the actual savings is).

Fremont gross revenue per week
5,000 x $60k = $300 million

Austin
300 x $60k + 300 x $5k = $19.5 million

If they can ramp Austin faster by using a copy of the 2170 Fremont line, it will be much better for the bottom line than any savings 4680 will provide until 4680 can be produced at volume to make 5,000 cars per week. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 millions cells per week. Last we heard (and backed up by LR Austin vins in the 4,000 range) they are around 1 million cells per month (300 cars/week). They need to make 4 times what they are currently making in a quarter of the time. Throw in needing to realize all the CT revenue and 4680 in MY has a bleak future for a few years.
Here's a link to a relatively complete analysis of the 4680 structural vs 2170 std battery packs. 2170 pack requires additional floorpan to chassis for structural integrity.
Tesla Model Y Structural Battery Pack: What We Know (And Don't Know) (not a great source, but good enough for this discussion)

Also several images outlining MY chassis construction.
Note the 4680 structural pack has the seats integrated; assembly into the chassis is one step. With the 2170, the pack and seat installs are separate stations and operations.

While your presumption that all this is an engineering exercise but production remains unfulfilled, I suggest the benefits remain Tesla's goal.
The most effective use of Austin production lines would be to leverage what's already in place, not build a soon-to-be outdated one like Fremont.
I also note that Tesla has stated Fremont will be shut down for the first two weeks of July for re-fit. They might be going the F+R castings with 2170 route, or 4680, or.... ???

Whatever economic calculation anyone can dream up is a futile exercise, since no one has real numbers.

No one outside Tesla knows what MY chassis construction is being used in Berlin. There are no evals/reviews to that level that I'm aware of. Not that I'm all-seeing...
No one knows what MYLR chassis construction Texas would be using (or if they're making MYLR there yet). But it would be a whole separate line to do the Fremont chassis.

Anything is possible with Tesla, which is how they roll - keep the leaks coming, acknowledge nothing. And until there are cars in the wild, it's all speculation.

Attachments

• tesla-model-y-underbody-cast.jpg
    tesla-model-y-underbody-cast.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 301
  • New-Battery-Pack-Tesla-Battery-Day-Watermarked.jpg
    New-Battery-Pack-Tesla-Battery-Day-Watermarked.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 79
  • MY exploded view.jpg
    MY exploded view.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 89
  • MY cutaway.jpg
    MY cutaway.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 84
  • MY cutaway 2.JPG
    MY cutaway 2.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 71
  • 4680 pack w seat mounts.jpg
    4680 pack w seat mounts.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: KWC_Diu
Okay you guys are deep. I get a Texas made MYLR on Thursday. What on earth does this Chassis stuff mean to me? Like what am I hoping for. I’ve most just been hoping it has the Ryzen. Lol.

I am happy to report any details or photos come Thursday night if it is helpful or interesting to anyone. Not sure if others perhaps will receive theirs sooner.
First:
The MYLR you receive, (330 EPA range, not 279), will be an excellent car. You'll be good with it. Regardless of the minutae of the discussion above.
I received mine from Fremont January and it's been flawless. I expect Texas builds to be even better structurally.
The question we're trying to answer is...what is it? A Fremont chassis build (R casting, 2170 battery pack), or....what?
Second:
You can determine what front-end construction you've got with just a magnet. Aluminum isn't magnetic, so if the magnet doesn't stick, you've got a front magacast.
Or, look inside the front wheel well and look for the distinctive honeycomb-like webbing of the casting. It will show where the well liner is open at the back center. Take a pic.
This will require jacking it up and removing the front wheel.
Third, a little deep:
Take it to a public scale and weigh it. $10-15 fee, takes a minute or two. The 2022 MYLR with 19" Gemini wheels was supposed to weigh 4465lbs; the website now says 4363.
If you've got both Front and Rear magacasts (all MY have rear casts), there would be some weigh reduction. How much isn't documented.

Evidence in case (apparently?) people are questioning View attachment 821283
nothing personal, but this is the kind of evidence we’ve seen months ago that didn’t pan out. Still, no harm in any of us treating it as legit. welcome. yeah, as above photos of the mega casting from inside the wheel well, photos of the underside of the car to get at least a minimal sense of the battery setup....photo of VIN plate, the video screen on with vehicle info, esp range etc
And no doubt many here would be excited about a true weight, whether or not its running a front casting.

Perhaps you can take some pics of the underside of you Austin MY when you get it so the folks here can determine if it has the chassis front mega-castiing or not.
Fingers crossed I’ll have mine tomorrow around 5pm so I can take as many photos as people want. I’m expecting them to text me and delay it though, because when I get too excited that kind of thing always happens!

Here's a link to a relatively complete analysis of the 4680 structural vs 2170 std battery packs. 2170 pack requires additional floorpan to chassis for structural integrity.
Tesla Model Y Structural Battery Pack: What We Know (And Don't Know) (not a great source, but good enough for this discussion)

Also several images outlining MY chassis construction.
Note the 4680 structural pack has the seats integrated; assembly into the chassis is one step. With the 2170, the pack and seat installs are separate stations and operations.

While your presumption that all this is an engineering exercise but production remains unfulfilled, I suggest the benefits remain Tesla's goal.
The most effective use of Austin production lines would be to leverage what's already in place, not build a soon-to-be outdated one like Fremont.
I also note that Tesla has stated Fremont will be shut down for the first two weeks of July for re-fit. They might be going the F+R castings with 2170 route, or 4680, or.... ???

Whatever economic calculation anyone can dream up is a futile exercise, since no one has real numbers.

No one outside Tesla knows what MY chassis construction is being used in Berlin. There are no evals/reviews to that level that I'm aware of. Not that I'm all-seeing...
No one knows what MYLR chassis construction Texas would be using (or if they're making MYLR there yet). But it would be a whole separate line to do the Fremont chassis.

Anything is possible with Tesla, which is how they roll - keep the leaks coming, acknowledge nothing. And until there are cars in the wild, it's all speculation.
Thanks for posting pics, however they are all 4680. I know what 4680 construction is. You keep mentioning needing to add a floor to 2170 with front megacast. This got me to thinking about the current construction. Does the 2170 with rear megacast not have a floor? This is what you suggest. I suggest that there is a floor currently to provide the strength and structure you propose so they only need to bolt the front megacast in in place of the many front pieces, much like what they did when they switched to the rear megacast. You seem to be stuck on reengineering the 4680 construction to accept 2170. Why? The path of least resistance will be cheaper right now and thus make Tesla more money.

You seem to be pushing 4680 as much as the hype sites. Now you suggest Fremont is going to refit to 4680? Why!? They is zero sign Tesla is producing enough 4680 cells for MY at Austin, let alone Fremont. You think they want to turn a 1 year wait into 3? We can see the 4680 production lines at Austin on previous drone videos. If they were refitting Fremont don’t you think we’d be seeing millions of cells per week being produced? They need about 4 million 4680 per week to meet current Fremont production.

Where is the news on the Fremont refit in July? A quick google search only shows the 2020 July refit.
Okay you guys are deep. I get a Texas made MYLR on Thursday. What on earth does this Chassis stuff mean to me? Like what am I hoping for. I’ve most just been hoping it has the Ryzen. Lol.

I am happy to report any details or photos come Thursday night if it is helpful or interesting to anyone. Not sure if others perhaps will receive theirs sooner.
In the end, it doesn’t mean anything to you. Even if you get 2170 with F+R megacasts, you are looking at maybe 100# weight saving from current MY. Nothing you will notice in 99.5% of driving.

Pictures will be great. If you can get a shot of the front of the battery tray through the front passenger wheel well opening it will tell us what the battery is. Earlier in this thread there is a post of the part number sticker from the front megacast that was visible behind a suspension member. Im pretty sure it was taken of a parked Tesla-owned vehicle while supercharging so shouldn’t need to remove the wheel and tire to check.
More evidence
These blog sites get their news from here, Twitter and Reddit. When someone posts wild speculation here, it makes news there. Unless they directly attribute news or data as being from Tesla, it is believe it at your own risk of it being false. In this case, it appears to be an email from Tesla posted on Twitter so maybe there is truth to it. We will see once cars are delivered.

I'm in Texas and am hoping for an accelerated delivery. So far my EDD has moved up from Jan-Apr 2023 to Oct-Nov 2022. I don't mind getting an SR at this point.
It is not clear if Tesla will email you or if you just need to go to Tesla.com and order. The email makes no mention of changing an existing order. You are limited to black 5 seat interior.

That article makes it sound like Tesla is prioritizing LR orders that pay current prices.
They are building vehicles in Austin that they want to sell by Thursday at full price. So you need to be in Texas and willing to pay current prices. Making a LR in Austin and selling for $58k or less will look bad on revenue.

I'm paying the current price increase for my MYLR reservation and have yet to hear anything from Tesla on an accelerated delivery.
See comment above, email that was posted to Twitter isn’t clear who qualifies. Says to just go online and order. Typical Tesla communications.

You seem to be pushing 4680 as much as the hype sites. Now you suggest Fremont is going to refit to 4680? Why!? They is zero sign Tesla is producing enough 4680 cells for MY at Austin, let alone Fremont.

Eventually Austin is going to take over a portion of the deliveries to the east coast and they are the only ones making the AWD so it makes sense that Fremont will start to produce some AWD models for delivery to the west coast using the batteires at Kato Road or another source. So I think they will be retrofitting a line to produce 4680 AWD I just don't expect it until 2023 when Austin was actually offloading Fremont of the backlong and producing 2-3k LR cars a week

Thanks for posting pics, however they are all 4680. I know what 4680 construction is. You keep mentioning needing to add a floor to 2170 with front megacast. This got me to thinking about the current construction. Does the 2170 with rear megacast not have a floor? This is what you suggest. I suggest that there is a floor currently to provide the strength and structure you propose so they only need to bolt the front megacast in in place of the many front pieces, much like what they did when they switched to the rear megacast. You seem to be stuck on reengineering the 4680 construction to accept 2170. Why? The path of least resistance will be cheaper right now and thus make Tesla more money.

You seem to be pushing 4680 as much as the hype sites. Now you suggest Fremont is going to refit to 4680? Why!? They is zero sign Tesla is producing enough 4680 cells for MY at Austin, let alone Fremont. You think they want to turn a 1 year wait into 3? We can see the 4680 production lines at Austin on previous drone videos. If they were refitting Fremont don’t you think we’d be seeing millions of cells per week being produced? They need about 4 million 4680 per week to meet current Fremont production.

Where is the news on the Fremont refit in July? A quick google search only shows the 2020 July refit.

In the end, it doesn’t mean anything to you. Even if you get 2170 with F+R megacasts, you are looking at maybe 100# weight saving from current MY. Nothing you will notice in 99.5% of driving.

Pictures will be great. If you can get a shot of the front of the battery tray through the front passenger wheel well opening it will tell us what the battery is. Earlier in this thread there is a post of the part number sticker from the front megacast that was visible behind a suspension member. Im pretty sure it was taken of a parked Tesla-owned vehicle while supercharging so shouldn’t need to remove the wheel and tire to check.

These blog sites get their news from here, Twitter and Reddit. When someone posts wild speculation here, it makes news there. Unless they directly attribute news or data as being from Tesla, it is believe it at your own risk of it being false. In this case, it appears to be an email from Tesla posted on Twitter so maybe there is truth to it. We will see once cars are delivered.

It is not clear if Tesla will email you or if you just need to go to Tesla.com and order. The email makes no mention of changing an existing order. You are limited to black 5 seat interior.

They are building vehicles in Austin that they want to sell by Thursday at full price. So you need to be in Texas and willing to pay current prices. Making a LR in Austin and selling for $58k or less will look bad on revenue.

See comment above, email that was posted to Twitter isn’t clear who qualifies. Says to just go online and order. Typical Tesla communications.
You're right, I missed the attachments showing both battery packs. The two chassis variants were shown at both Giga Berlin and Giga Texas open house events.
I include those here, and the chassis hung up at the events show the added floorpan of the 2170 pretty clearly.
This is to say the 2170 pack is NOT structural, and requires further chassis reinforcement for integrity. The 4680 being structural does not.

1. Current MYLR and MYP chassis, using only the Rear Megacast, has a floorpan. The 4680 structural pack replaces that sheet steel floorpan. You already know this.
2. Fremont is shutting down for a re-fit in July. This was reported by Tesla itself. What they are re-fitting to is unknown, and I imply only that refit is likely to use both F+R casts.
The use of both castings is a saving of robots, time, and money. Tesla needs to get more cars delivered, faster, and make as much profit margin as possible.
A F+R megacast chassis with 2170 pack would achieve that.
3. You state that the 4680 and the die cast chassis components are engineering exercises and likely of little benefit to the vehicle owner.
I agree regarding the 4680. The primary benefit is Tesla profit margins. I expect there will be no range improvement any time soon, and charging time is not substantially better.
I disagree regarding the castings. Everyone wins with those. Tesla gets better margins, customers get cars faster and a better chassis with more consistent construction.
While Tesla would like to just roll over to 4680, it's not gonna happen, and their next best option is the 2170 non-structural pack chassis with both F+R castings.

Attachments

• 2170 vs 4680 MY chassis.jpg
    2170 vs 4680 MY chassis.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 75
  • tesla_4680_model_y_structural_pa.jpeg
    tesla_4680_model_y_structural_pa.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: MacO512