Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my drive this morning too. My take aways/questions that seem different to the ones previously mentioned on here:
  • I found the view out the rear from the rearview mirror to be smaller than I expected. Anyone else feel that way?
  • I'm definitely going to need the acceleration boost. I could REALLY feel the difference between the Y stock and my 3 w/Acceleration Boost.
  • Does the Y have a vibrating steering wheel for lane assist? I kept getting it after accidentally drifting a bit and then when I would intentionally drift towards the lane to reproduce it.
  • 20" inductions were way more comfortable than 19" sport wheels on 3
  • It felt much more settled. I get the "go kart" impression from my 3 sometimes but this felt much more stable on the roads.
I know this one has been said but wow, it's definitely a bigger car! (excuse the state of the outside of my car)
View attachment 754931
View attachment 754930
It doesn’t look as big from that as I was expecting. I’m moving from a X3 and that looks much lower than a X3!

• I'm definitely going to need the acceleration boost. I could REALLY feel the difference between the Y stock and my 3 w/Acceleration Boost.

In the 3 performance day to day I find its rare to even find a place to put the pedal to the floor without being reckless especially in the winter and its only on long drives its really possible to find opportunities to max the car out for a few seconds, that said I guess I will have to wait for a test drive to see the actual difference hope its better than chill mode

Reactions: Silox
Had my test drive this evening at Thorpe Park... mixed thoughts.

Looks... stunning. Very very tempted to switch from grey to red. It really is an angry more muscular looking M3. Love it.

I personally thought the ride on 20" wheels was pretty bad. On the Staines road (which really isn't the worst road in the UK) I could feel myself being "jostled" the whole time which combined with very (overly?) sensitive steering means the car felt unsettled. Very glad I've ordered 19" and hope to god its noticeably better. Horrible rattle coming from somewhere in the back too.

Rear view - forget it. But I can live that.

The RHDs have AMD CPUs as reported previously I think. No lumbar support on the passenger side seat.

Cavernous interior. Glass roof is like being inside a space capsule.

Last November I hired a 2020 M3 LR and drove 600 miles to Cornwall and back over 2 days. That I felt was amazingly comfortable and I had no fatigue at all. The MY is not that and I suspect after market shocks/spring suppliers will do pretty well.

Overall.. very much still want one but still a bit worried about ride quality even with the smaller wheels. I strongly advise anyone to get a test drive before taking delivery even if that means delaying it. Unless you already have a car with hard suspension or just dont care, this is something you'll be living with for the duration.

Attachments

• IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    868.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
anyone find the ride too harsh. I went for the stock wheels due to reviews from motor journalists and also some friends in US who said 19" wheels were far nicer than 20" ones. Plus roads around Hampshire are shockingly bad for potholes
I did the same as you and went for the Gemini’s due the the ‘harsh’ reviews of the inductions. I’m planning to get aftermarket 20’s if the ride is ok and keep the 19’s with some winter tyres on for, erm..the winter. That way I will have 2 sets for no more than I’d have paid for the inductions.

Love the inductions tho and it was the hardest decision of all not to go for them.

Reactions: VX Foxy
In the 3 performance day to day I find its rare to even find a place to put the pedal to the floor without being reckless especially in the winter and its only on long drives its really possible to find opportunities to max the car out for a few seconds, that said I guess I will have to wait for a test drive to see the actual difference hope its better than chill mode
Yea. I was expecting it to be less in the Y but I guess I’ve just got used to the absolute launch “stomach in your throat” feeling from the boosted 3. I’m on winters and whilst I’m not silly about it, the 3 w/acceleration boost was really useful for overtaking, merging etc (and making people look silly off the line up to the speed limit lol)
Horrible rattle coming from somewhere in the back too.
I had this in the grey one I drove. Had a bit of a hunt and I’m pretty sure it’s the dealer plate they loosely zip tied to the back as the car trim was solid.

Reactions: dangrenade
Last November I hired a 2020 M3 LR and drove 600 miles to Cornwall and back over 2 days. That I felt was amazingly comfortable and I had no fatigue at all. The MY is not that and I suspect after market shocks/spring suppliers will do pretty well.
Out of interest where did you hire from? I''m potentially moving over from an iPace which is very comfortable and quiet on motorways, seeing as Tesla don't do extended drives I was wondering about hiring one for a few days.

anyone find the ride too harsh. I went for the stock wheels due to reviews from motor journalists and also some friends in US who said 19" wheels were far nicer than 20" ones. Plus roads around Hampshire are shockingly bad for potholes
So I managed to arrange a last minute test drive at 7.30pm last night and I currently have a White MYLR on 19's on order. I currently drive a current model Audi Q7 with air suspension, like others I was worried about all the reviews online talking about a harsh ride on 20's. I arrived early so had the car from 7-7.45pm and both my wife and I drove the car. On smooth surfaces I had no issues with the 20's whatsoever, so the dual carriageway outside and around Thorpe park were perfectly fine, on slightly bumpier surfaces and riding over cats eyes there was a jiggle but nothing that was a show stopper, I suspect on really bad surfaces it could be a little unsettling and not as well absorbed as my Audi, however the handling characteristics are great and I found it to be very responsive and sharp. My other car is a E63 AMG so I have some experience in order to make a comparison. Getting back in to the Audi Q7 afterwards made it feel more boat like even when put in its firmer dynamic setting. So I'd say its a trade off, if you are an enthusiastic driver and like a decent handling car then you should have no issue with the Model Y's suspension set up, I suspect the 19's will offer a marginal improvement over the 20's however I don't think its going to be a night and day comparison. I've instructed Tesla whilst at the demo centre last night to change my order to the 20's based on my experience as I prefer them cosmetically over the 19's. I have seen some video's on Youtube and the Tesla rep's also mentioned that you can take off the gemini covers and either paint them with a black plasitdip spray or the alloys underneath and get the best of both worlds if you don't like the silver. From my research the gemini wheel covers only offer you better range whilst at motorway speeds and less so around town so unless you do a lot of long commuting you may not see a lot of range improvement over the 20's or the 19's with the wheel covers off driving locally.

In terms of sound insulation, we had some vibration in the rear, when I pulled over and swapped over to my wife driving we noticed the middle rear seat was down and folded over but not clicked in so we just put in back to its upright position and the noise issue was gone. We drove mostly with the radio off to get a good feel for the insulation levels and again coming from the Audi I found it fine. I cannot confirm if this would be the same at constant motorway speeds but I didn't notice anything to put me off.

Only negative I can see was the rear view visibility out of the back window was like looking through a letter box but once you get use to the on board cameras it should be less of an issue.

Hope that helps.
T.

I'm going to push my delivery back. It looks like both Berlin and Texas will be coming online soon. I think we are within a year or two of the 4680 batteries and I don't want to buy in before large changes are made.

I also don't like the idea of having USB ports that don't send data or have to be retrofitted at a later date. I'm more than happy with my M3LR until that point so I won't be taking delivery of the model Y.

The only thing that might change my mind is if a dealer offered me more money than I paid for it to skip the queue but I doubt that will happen.

So I managed to arrange a last minute test drive at 7.30pm last night and I currently have a White MYLR on 19's on order. I currently drive a current model Audi Q7 with air suspension, like others I was worried about all the reviews online talking about a harsh ride on 20's. I arrived early so had the car from 7-7.45pm and both my wife and I drove the car. On smooth surfaces I had no issues with the 20's whatsoever, so the dual carriageway outside and around Thorpe park were perfectly fine, on slightly bumpier surfaces and riding over cats eyes there was a jiggle but nothing that was a show stopper, I suspect on really bad surfaces it could be a little unsettling and not as well absorbed as my Audi, however the handling characteristics are great and I found it to be very responsive and sharp. My other car is a E63 AMG so I have some experience in order to make a comparison. Getting back in to the Audi Q7 afterwards made it feel more boat like even when put in its firmer dynamic setting. So I'd say its a trade off, if you are an enthusiastic driver and like a decent handling car then you should have no issue with the Model Y's suspension set up, I suspect the 19's will offer a marginal improvement over the 20's however I don't think its going to be a night and day comparison. I've instructed Tesla whilst at the demo centre last night to change my order to the 20's based on my experience as I prefer them cosmetically over the 19's. I have seen some video's on Youtube and the Tesla rep's also mentioned that you can take off the gemini covers and either paint them with a black plasitdip spray or the alloys underneath and get the best of both worlds if you don't like the silver. From my research the gemini wheel covers only offer you better range whilst at motorway speeds and less so around town so unless you do a lot of long commuting you may not see a lot of range improvement over the 20's or the 19's with the wheel covers off driving locally.

In terms of sound insulation, we had some vibration in the rear, when I pulled over and swapped over to my wife driving we noticed the middle rear seat was down and folded over but not clicked in so we just put in back to its upright position and the noise issue was gone. We drove mostly with the radio off to get a good feel for the insulation levels and again coming from the Audi I found it fine. I cannot confirm if this would be the same at constant motorway speeds but I didn't notice anything to put me off.

Only negative I can see was the rear view visibility out of the back window was like looking through a letter box but once you get use to the on board cameras it should be less of an issue.

Hope that helps.
T.
Really helpful and put my mind at rest on a few bits.

I did wonder if the noise some users had reported was potentially as a result of something not being fully 'clicked' back in place. I imagine the back seats get dropped down on every test drive.

Still when we drive the radio is always on (otherwise we would have to talk to each other :rolleyes:).

Roll on Feb/March

Really helpful and put my mind at rest on a few bits.

I did wonder if the noise some users had reported was potentially as a result of something not being fully 'clicked' back in place. I imagine the back seats get dropped down on every test drive.

Still when we drive the radio is always on (otherwise we would have to talk to each other :rolleyes:).

Roll on Feb/March
Yes on a YouTube test Rory Whatshisname found the same issue….turns out it was the rear headrest being too high. Pop it back on to the seat and the rattle disappeared.

Reactions: dog299