Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UK Direct Line Insurance and PPF/Ceramic Coatings

As we lucky ones approach T Day , my thoughts turned to insurance and also the possibility of arranging for a partial PPF and/or ceramic ( a new car detail, from what I have seen swirlywise, maybe a minimum requirement, though I am always ready to be pleasantly surprised..)

So, I made a couple of calls yesterday to Direct Line and my current insurer Admiral.

I have related the results in the above mentioned thread. It's a bit over long (surprise surprise) and degenerates into something of a diatribe but you might find the relevant bits of interest.

I started a switch to Octopus today - had to call them but it was painless. We don't have a smart meter yet, so step 1 is the Octopus switch, then we sort out a new meter, then switch to a nice tariff. We're not currently on a fixed rate, so it's all win for us.
I’m on the current standard (capped) tariff with EDF and I assumed that it wouldn’t pay to switch to Octopus at the moment. I better get the phone and the calculator out. I already have a smart meter and the electricity readings are currently being sent half hourly (the gas smart meter hasn’t sent any readings for nearly a month). Thanks for the tip.

I’m on the current standard (capped) tariff with EDF and I assumed that it wouldn’t pay to switch to Octopus at the moment. I better get the phone and the calculator out. I already have a smart meter and the electricity readings are currently being sent half hourly (the gas smart meter hasn’t sent any readings for nearly a month). Thanks for the tip.
While you wait for your EV the Agile tarif is quite interesting at the moment (prices vary on a 1/2 hour basis, average is quite below the cap at the moment). Once I’ll get a delivery date I’ll switch to the Intelligent tariff to have consistent low charging rates at night

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
Hi there all!

I also had a Blue car recently brought back to Q2 dates. I'd even managed to ween myself off this and the app to fend off disappointment, checked on off chance last night!

VIN in source.

After the initial delay I had booked a few days away at the end of June and then found out it might conflict!

Just spoke on the phone. I have been told 30th will be the only day I will be offered (Southampton), as they're due in on the 29th. Which ends up suiting fine.

Also regarding texts. The rep told me that texts are pushed out in bulk, and the next scheduled day will be Tuesday!
Can i ask when you ordered? and what spec?

I started a switch to Octopus today - had to call them but it was painless. We don't have a smart meter yet, so step 1 is the Octopus switch, then we sort out a new meter, then switch to a nice tariff. We're not currently on a fixed rate, so it's all win for us.
Similar journey...
  1. Painless switch to Octopus (via phone, email took to long)
  2. Mains fuse just upgraded to 100A by UK Power Networks last week - make sure all cables are 25mm thick or else they wont touch it.
  3. Smart meter to be changed start of July (only slot I could get after a month of page refreshing this) NB: booking only available after full switch over...
  4. Next month having a temp Commando socket with 10mm reinforced cable fitted. Future proofing as I see a 2nd "cheapo runaround EV" on the horizon.
  5. <Future> get VIN/REG/Car 🙏
  6. <Future> fit all accumulated accessories
  7. <Future> get solar/batteries etc
  8. <Future> move to Octopus Agile
  9. <Future> Drive my MY everywhere!
  10. <Future> live happily ever after... :D
...and back to reality!

Happy Friday everyone!

Looks like the Texas built Model Y is getting the rear parcel shelf - maybe China will be shipping with it soon!? Picture at the end of the video, looks good.

Also the new 4680 batteries used at the Austin factory have a smaller capacity than our LR batteries, about 10kwh less. For now at least, if you want range you're better of sticking with our current LR 2170 cell size (not that we have a choice).

Not much else to see so not necessarily worth the watch, but info gleaned from here

Looks like the Texas built Model Y is getting the rear parcel shelf - maybe China will be shipping with it soon!? Picture at the end of the video, looks good.

Also the new 4680 batteries used at the Austin factory have a smaller capacity than our LR batteries, about 10kwh less. For now at least, if you want range you're better of sticking with our current LR 2170 cell size.

Not much else to see so not necessarily worth the watch, but info gleaned from here

Waiting impatiently for the first pictures of the batches unloaded from Glovis Splendor to see if there is this parcel shelf.

I don’t get the battery decrease though. Isn’t the whole point of the 4680 to have improved energy density and therefore pack more kWh in the same form factor?? It seems counterintuitive!

Also the new 4680 batteries used at the Austin factory have a smaller capacity than our LR batteries, about 10kwh less. For now at least, if you want range you're better of sticking with our current LR 2170 cell size (not that we have a choice).

If you are interested in the parcel shelf, here’s a review of the Texas 4680 Model Y:

Go to 3m26 seconds.

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
This is supposedly a video of the unloading of GS and if you go to 0:20 and zoom in on the cars coming out the boat, you can see the staff holding things which look suspiciously like parcel shelves

Loading seems a bit nippier :))) but maybe the Shanghai shots are speeded up.

As for spotting parcel shelves...........I should have gone to SpecSavers.:cool:

Last edited:
Loading seems a bit nippier :))) but maybe the Shanghai shots are speeded up.

As for spotting parcel shelves...........I should have gone to SpecSavers.:cool:
YouTube's Ryan Shaw Tech, an excellent source of Tesla news, mentions in his latest bulletin that all Tesla G-Factories, with the exception of Freemonte, are now shipping Ys with the parcel shelf.

He was not precise in his definition of "now" but Texas has already shipped Ys with the shelf. Maybe, with their recent issues, Shanghai did not get around to the shelves. Perhaps, bless them, they were sleeping on them. All will be revealed in a couple of weeks.🥳

Now then.... who will be first to post here, from inside their new Y,.... that they just banged there heads on a shelf when exploring the boot?

Oh! Goose bumps! :oops: How many sleeps to go?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Daedalus
YouTube's Ryan Shaw Tech, an excellent source of Tesla news, mentions in his latest bulletin that all Tesla G-Factories, with the exception of Freemonte, are now shipping Ys with the parcel shelf.

He was not precise in his definition of "now" but Texas has already shipped Ys with the shelf. Maybe, with their recent issues, Shanghai did not get around to the shelves. Perhaps, bless them, they were sleeping on them. All will be revealed in a couple of weeks.🥳

Now then.... who will be first to post here, from inside their new Y,.... that they just banged there heads on a shelf when exploring the boot?

Oh! Goose bumps! :oops: How many sleeps to go?
Tbh, I'm not sure I want one. Most parcel shelves I've had have spent more time in the shed than in the car