Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 1,000 U.S. Signatures (confirmed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five years from now there will be bigger, more powerful batteries that will make this car pale in comparison. Resale value won't be great.

But the Tesla will be the first, and the Signatures will be leading the way. I'm happy to be part of that group.

If you intend to keep the car for a long time, as you seem to, most likely you will be upgrading the battery with the latest technology.

Agree completely Arnold...this ranks up there with cupholders to me...everyone should be getting excited about receiving & driving their Model S's, not losing sleep over this sort of detail imo...

Funny, when I was "sweating out" the 10 week delivery time whilst waiting for my Roadster to be delivered, all of my thoughts were about what a blast it will be driving the car :love: ...resale 'n such issues never entered my mind...

Agree as well. My reason for getting a Sig was mostly for earlier delivery and support of Tesla. The S curve ramp-up almost completely eliminated the early delivery advantage for me (probably inside of a month's difference now). I never expected my car would be worth more in some hypothetical future where I try to sell it to a premium relative to other v.1.0 Model S's because it's a different red or has Sig badging.

While it does take away from the US being a nice round 1,000 number it shouldn't really make much of a difference in resell value.
Ahem. Based on the Roadster, the Signature branding will have NO added resale value over the standard. Perhaps if there are more "Signature Red" cars or more "white leather" interiors that will affect resale value... but I doubt it.

Ahem. Based on the Roadster, the Signature branding will have NO added resale value over the standard. Perhaps if there are more "Signature Red" cars or more "white leather" interiors that will affect resale value... but I doubt it.
That's what I was trying to say. It may not sound as good as one of one thousand Signature cars, it won't change the value.

Last edited:
Tesla said they would build 1000 Sig’s in the US …… and that is what they should do; otherwise, they have a serious credibility/integrity issue.

They also said they would sell 1200 North American Sigs. So if they can't sell 200 in Canada should they go back on their word and not sell 1200?

This is pure silliness. I was amazed anyone saw this as an issue, but 2 of you?

They also said they would sell 1200 North American Sigs. So if they can't sell 200 in Canada should they go back on their word and not sell 1200?

This is pure silliness. I was amazed anyone saw this as an issue, but 2 of you?
The 1200, and the 1000, were <= not ==.

Characterizing as "silliness" because you don't agree is unwarranted, and frankly makes your opinion worth less to me in the future.

I do have an interest in varied court cases of various types -- for those of you who care, please make sure I get the case number of your lawsuit against any Canadian driver who drives his Sig S over the border into the US, since (s)he's going to be harming your special exclusivity too. I'd like to follow it.

Maybe people don't realize how connected the US and Canada are? In the winter, we have a ridiculous number of cars with Ontario and Quebec province plates in this part of Florida. I was in Lake George (NY) this summer, and the next stop on the highway was Montreal, which was less than two hours away.

As long as they don't go over the 1200 total for North America, I can't see any difference whether they sell a few "extra" in the US because they didn't get 200 people in Canada to buy Sigs.

Maybe people don't realize how connected the US and Canada are? In the winter, we have a ridiculous number of cars with Ontario and Quebec province plates in this part of Florida.

Yep, there are enough Canadians that are snowbirds such that we have a few Canadian members in our Florida Tesla Motors Club. (We accept permanent and part-time Florida residents.) I'm hoping that they bring their Signature Model Ss down in the Winter so we can do some rallies with them. :biggrin:

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Characterizing as "silliness" because you don't agree is unwarranted, and frankly makes your opinion worth less to me in the future.

Hi Brian,

So you share Joe's opinion that Tesla will have "a serious credibility/integrity issue" if they shift a few cars from Canada to the US?

Larry

Hi Brian,
So you share Joe's opinion that Tesla will have "a serious credibility/integrity issue" if they shift a few cars from Canada to the US?
Larry
With me, they do. With other people, I have no idea.

Is it stopping me from buying a car? No.
Does it weaken my support for and trust in Tesla as a company? Yes.

Note that the apparently-recently-incorrect Options page (for the U.S. market) remains as shown in the image in original post of this thread.

Tesla said they would build 1000 Sig’s in the US …… and that is what they should do; otherwise, they have a serious credibility/integrity issue.

If you think shipping some Canadian Sigs to the US to balance demand is a serious issue, then you're really going to be upset when actual issues arise.

Tesla is a Startup and by buying a Sig you're really just crossing your fingers, taking a leap of faith, and you have to expect that things won't be perfect. This is a trivial matter. Heck, SmoothOperator had a better case about the removal of the CF exterior trim pieces from Performance after the first Performance models were delivered, and he's still keeping his reservation, and as far as I can tell, isn't really upset about it.

Last edited:

With me, they do. With other people, I have no idea.

That seems pretty extreme. Is there really any significant difference if they sell all 200 in Canada as originally planned, or if a few happen to end up in the USA? Some relevant facts:

Canada and USA are joined at the hip - even if Americans are generally ignorant of the fact and Canadians would like to believe otherwise. We share a border thousands of miles long. Most major Canadian cities are less than an hour's drive from the border. There is an enormous amount of trade in both directions across the border.

More importantly millions of cars drive across the border every month. This means at any one time, there will be a significant number of Canadian Model S's in the USA, and a significant number of American Model S's in Canada. Also people sometimes move from Canada to the USA or vice-versa, and they usually bring their cars with them. Sometimes people sell their cars cross-border too. And of course occasionally a car is wrecked, and removed from the tally.

If Tesla happens to sell a couple of dozen more in the states and a couple of dozen less in Canada, it's insignificant. It's a rounding error. It won't materially change how many Signatures are in the USA, and it won't affect the number of Signatures in the common North American market at all.

@Doug_G

If this was the plan, they never should have said "1,000 in the U.S." It's on the Options page, and was originally on the Reserve page before they switched to the Sold Out text. I know because I read it like a dozen times before I clicked the button.

The issue is that they changed the plan after agreements had been signed. If they did it before anyone in the U.S. market signed an MVPA, then I'd be merely annoyed rather than feel that Tesla is being dishonest.

The argument that "it's only dishonest in a small way" doesn't change anything for me. In some ways it makes it worse. It's not like Tesla needs to expand the U.S. signature count to stay afloat or make the business viable. If they did, then they should be upfront about that.

The argument that "it's only dishonest in a small way" doesn't change anything for me.

Are you actually quoting someone?

BTW, this is what the options page displays right now:
Screen shot 2012-09-05 at 3.07.03 PM.png

It just says the first 1,000 deliveries have begun, not that there are only 1,000 Sigs.