Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E Gets Great Reviews = Model 3 Challenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I’ve had bad dealer experiences, too, and I generally prefer the Tesla distribution model.

But keep in mind, most of the folks who ordered MME’s are getting the MSRP just like Tesla. In many cases they are actually getting discounted x-plan pricing. There are only a few horror stories of dealers trying to screw people who ordered into paying markups, and that was generally a function of those customers not getting their pricing confirmed in advance.

The markups are mainly occurring on cancelled orders that dealers can sell off the lot. But this also means you can buy a new MME now as opposed to waiting for your order - something the Tesla’s model doesn’t really afford.

In my case, I actually found a dealer that accepted x-plan pricing for a MME off the lot. So I’ve got my car now, at a great price, at least six months earlier than if I had waited on my order.

So the dealer model can still provide advantages on pricing and availability, if you’re willing to do some work. Plus the service centers.

So - the ADMU is BS. New car shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. The negotiations are BS, as is the painful process of sitting with the finance people try to sell are the worthless aftermarket crap after you already made your deal. It even happened with our Audi e-Tron. Hate it - and absolutely prefer the Tesla sales model. I actually get frustrated knowing you can go below MSRP - but not how much. I've never paid MSRP from a legacy manufacturer - and it's always too time-consuming getting to a number.

I'd prefer doing away with the dealership model writ-large and just ordering from the manufacturer.

So - the ADMU is BS. New car shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. The negotiations are BS, as is the painful process of sitting with the finance people try to sell are the worthless aftermarket crap after you already made your deal. It even happened with our Audi e-Tron. Hate it - and absolutely prefer the Tesla sales model. I actually get frustrated knowing you can go below MSRP - but not how much. I've never paid MSRP from a legacy manufacturer - and it's always too time-consuming getting to a number.

I'd prefer doing away with the dealership model writ-large and just ordering from the manufacturer.
Everybody must read the Confessions of a Car Salesman before visiting a dealer. I tried it once, and most dealers I visited checked all the boxes of the F..-the-customer tactics described there.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I have a very early Model 3 that was similarly afflicted with software and trim issues.

Tesla gave me a two year warranty extension, a free $2500 set of rims and tires and lent me an S100D while they sorted it.

Tesla isn’t always the sh*t-show the media makes them out to be.
Sounds eerily similar to my situation, though I didn't get a two year warranty extension. Did you ask for that or did they offer it to you? I have paint and panel gap issues but didn't notify Tesla in time so they never got fixed.

When you say "free $2500 set of rims" do you mean they gave you a free upgrade to premium rims and tires you didn't have to pay for? Or did they swap out an existing set you weren't satisfied with and didn't bill you?

While I agree the reviews have been great, and almost all positive. The amount of issues with the limited released units to date are piling up the issues on the Mach-E forms. Ford's reputation as a legacy automaker is on full display when they launch new vehicles.

As a MME First Edition owner, I spend a lot of time on that forum and a lot of time driving my car. The only serious issues (12v battery dying and loose bolts) were rare and are already fixed.

Except for truly one off situations, we’re now down to mostly software bugs (settings not sticking, Phone As A Key unreliable, and Plug & Charge being unreliable for public charging).

The only two remaining hardware issues that can be widely replicated are wind noise from glass roof not being set properly (I don’t have it) and a coil whine (buzz) from driver screen that for most people is inaudible when driving or with any other ambient noise.

All told, the number of widely reported issues is quite small. I’ve owned mine for a week, driven 750 miles including a 500mi road trip, and the car is simply superb. It is better than the MY in most regards. It simply is. It looks a hell of a lot better and has a more refined interior and ride for a slightly lower price. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone. In the next two years something else will likely come out in this price point that’s better than the MME. That’s just the way it goes.

As a MME First Edition owner, I spend a lot of time on that forum and a lot of time driving my car. The only serious issues (12v battery dying and loose bolts) were rare and are already fixed.

Except for truly one off situations, we’re now down to mostly software bugs (settings not sticking, Phone As A Key unreliable, and Plug & Charge being unreliable for public charging).

The only two remaining hardware issues that can be widely replicated are wind noise from glass roof not being set properly (I don’t have it) and a coil whine (buzz) from driver screen that for most people is inaudible when driving or with any other ambient noise.

All told, the number of widely reported issues is quite small. I’ve owned mine for a week, driven 750 miles including a 500mi road trip, and the car is simply superb. It is better than the MY in most regards. It simply is. It looks a hell of a lot better and has a more refined interior and ride for a slightly lower price. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone. In the next two years something else will likely come out in this price point that’s better than the MME. That’s just the way it goes.
Firstly I’ll say I’m happy you love your car and made the right purchase for yourself, although one week is an extremely short time to have much of an opinion, on anything, in my humble opinion. You said it’s simply better than the Y so I have to ask what model Y do you own that you are comparing it to and secondly i’d be interested to know what you consider superior to Tesla Y. I ask these things because I have a 3 but I’m considering getting my wife a Y. I haven’t owned a Ford in almost 30 years for good reason, but maybe the Mach E needs consideration.

On a side note a co worker has a Ford Raptor and a Ford Explorer and he swears he will never own another Ford because the service here in Austin is so bad. His horror stories make Tesla service seem fairly good in comparison ( although I’ve never had to had service on my car so I’m going by some of the complaints here)

Reactions: alexgr and geekfam

Considering how few Mach-Es are in owners hands, the problems reported by the owners on the Mach-E are extremely common. The funny part is how many misaligned panels the Mach-E has considering how Ford made fun of Tesla before the Mach-E release.

Historically, Ford is known for bad quality and bad service, and I don't see why the Mach-E should be expected to do any better than any other Ford. And as it is a very new vehicle for Ford, we should expect it can be really bad even by low Ford's standards. All the excitement, all the hype are implanted on the web by Ford's PR using paid publications and "influencers" (aka trolls).

Reactions: MP3Mike and SO16
I've seen a few YouTube video's on The Mach-E and Tycan getting close to their EPA ratings at FREEWAY speeds. This is the latest -

Sound like they sandbagged their range and if so it's great marketing. Tesla can't come close to the 326 mile EPA rating and Ford and Porsche are almost spot on at FREEWAY speeds.

I've seen a few YouTube video's on The Mach-E and Tycan getting close to their EPA ratings at FREEWAY speeds. This is the latest -

Sound like they sandbagged their range and if so it's great marketing. Tesla can't come close to the 326 mile EPA rating and Ford and Porsche are almost spot on at FREEWAY speeds.

EPA tests should be tested the EXACT same way for all vehicles.

I also prefer the range comparisons when they drive the different vehicles at the same time on the same route, speed, cabin temp and weather. Much better comparison.

Not a good look for Tesla to be that short on actual range.

Last edited:
Firstly I’ll say I’m happy you love your car and made the right purchase for yourself, although one week is an extremely short time to have much of an opinion, on anything, in my humble opinion. You said it’s simply better than the Y so I have to ask what model Y do you own that you are comparing it to and secondly i’d be interested to know what you consider superior to Tesla Y. I ask these things because I have a 3 but I’m considering getting my wife a Y. I haven’t owned a Ford in almost 30 years for good reason, but maybe the Mach E needs consideration.

On a side note a co worker has a Ford Raptor and a Ford Explorer and he swears he will never own another Ford because the service here in Austin is so bad. His horror stories make Tesla service seem fairly good in comparison ( although I’ve never had to had service on my car so I’m going by some of the complaints here)

I test drove a MY and provided my detailed comparison much earlier in this thread. Check that out.

I drove Toyotas and had the same feelings about Ford but I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and it has been nearly perfect (aside from Takata airbag recall). My choice of the MME over the MY was in some ways similar to my choice of the FFH over the Gen2 Prius. I still own it eleven years later and we’re keeping it to be the first driver for our sons. Ford knocking it out of the park with their first mass production try at hybrid tech encouraged me to do the same for their first mass production BEV.

I test drove a MY and provided my detailed comparison much earlier in this thread. Check that out.

I drove Toyotas and had the same feelings about Ford but I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and it has been nearly perfect (aside from Takata airbag recall). My choice of the MME over the MY was in some ways similar to my choice of the FFH over the Gen2 Prius. I still own it eleven years later and we’re keeping it to be the first driver for our sons. Ford knocking it out of the park with their first mass production try at hybrid tech encouraged me to do the same for their first mass production BEV.
Thanks, I hadn’t read your earlier post, I found it and see your reasons for getting the MME, a few are subjective like the looks of the car. I find the Y to be great looking but thanks for your insights I’ll defined take it for a test drive when it’s time although i am bringing a Tesla bias with me I’ll try and give it a fair evaluation.

A few observations:
1) the EPA mixed cycle range is not a 75mph highway driving.
2) I simply don't trust youtube videos especially when they show next to nothing (unlike the mighty Bjorn, for example). For instance, was the SOC at 100% on both cars at the start of the trip? Any accelerations during the trip, etc. etc. Remember John Broder, anyone? Ford seems to spend more on Mach-E PR than their entire Mach-E revenue for the year. Be very skeptical of ANYTHING published about the Mach-E.
3) Just came back from a 60 mile round trip including 75mph highways and bit easily (without trying at all) the rated range in my M3. Well, maybe the Model Y is just bad at high speeds ... I don't know.
4) I'd like to see a 400-500 mile trip [Any Tesla] vs Mach-E ... that will be fun.

3) Just came back from a 60 mile round trip including 75mph highways and bit easily (without trying at all) the rated range in my M3. Well, maybe the Model Y is just bad at high speeds ... I don't know.

And just to confirm ... I drove to work today. ~70% city highway driving. Here is my screen. I am happy with my Tesla range, thank you very much.

my drive to work.jpg

Reactions: mark95476
Both cars have fine range for most applications, at any trim level, but the MME Ext AWD’s range is indisputably better than the slightly more expensive MYLR. And whereas Tesla gamed the EPA numbers to exaggerate them, Ford actually undersold the MME’s range. Good for Ford!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
who cares with a tesla? supercharging is all across the usa and uk...cant say the same about ford
ford, porsche, vw, audi and some others are all on electrify america. while there map is about where tesla's was about 3-4 years ago they are installing more units all the time
In addition there are many other ccs units from many different companies. so one could say that there are more places to fast charge a ford than there are superchargers.

ford, porsche, vw, audi and some others are all on electrify america. while there map is about where tesla's was about 3-4 years ago they are installing more units all the time
In addition there are many other ccs units from many different companies. so one could say that there are more places to fast charge a ford than there are superchargers.
I would like Tesla to come out with a CCS adapter in the US like they do in Europe. But I guess that is a slightly different version. If Tesla did that, you would have access to the Tesla network AND EA beyond Chaedemo.

Both cars have fine range for most applications, at any trim level, but the MME Ext AWD’s range is indisputably better than the slightly more expensive MYLR. And whereas Tesla gamed the EPA numbers to exaggerate them, Ford actually undersold the MME’s range. Good for Ford!

If it is indisputable, why are you posting it to a discussion board? :rolleyes:

Also, I have a question for you FordMMe: how can you check the battery loss due to degradation or calibration issues in the Mach-E? Can you see the nominal rated range anywhere? You may say you don't care about it now, but if after, say, 4-5 years, I want to buy a used Mach-E, how do I know that it's battery looks okay?