Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charge port just opened....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ICUDoc

Theres a know issue with the flap door sticking mind you I would assumed your car being much younger it would been resolved. Also it was typically with adverse weather conditions.

The service guys can sort it quick unless its it is truly a user based problem..... It should flip every time.!
I did have mine stick once but that may well have been the 100 +kgs of mud after a trip up an unmade road is the depths of winter.:biggrin:

In my experience there is always slight delay between when you press a button and the charge port door opening.
This is most evident when you open the door from the touch screen because you can see the car change into charge mode before opening the door.
I found at first I kept thinking there was something wrong with the button on my charge connector, but once I learned to raise it in the direction of the back window and recognise the delay I realised that it works quite reliably.
Closing it however it also goes through a charging shutdown routine and there is a final click at the charge port door. I found that sometimes, maybe 1 in 10 times it would pop open again at that last click. That seems to have gone away recently about the time of the 7.1 update.

The antenna is in the left C pillar. There is always a delay. On closing, I always pause slightly hold it shut. Only rarely has it ever popped open after that. The various delays are, I believe as Meloccom says, a software routine the car needs to work through.

Mine opens most times. The trick of pointing towards the back and up (apparently where the sensor is) increases the percentage no end. While on the topic of the port, any comment on this interesting reference in the manual: p104
"Note: If you do not insert the charge cable into the charge port within a few minutes after opening the charge port door, the latch closes. If this happens, use the touchscreen to
open the charge port door."

I always have to shut the port and even when I leave it open and start driving (which you can do) it never shuts itself. What is "the latch" referred to here? This a US thing?

Mine opens most times. The trick of pointing towards the back and up (apparently where the sensor is) increases the percentage no end. While on the topic of the port, any comment on this interesting reference in the manual: p104
"Note: If you do not insert the charge cable into the charge port within a few minutes after opening the charge port door, the latch closes. If this happens, use the touchscreen to

I always have to shut the port and even when I leave it open and start driving (which you can do) it never shuts itself. What is "the latch" referred to here? This a US thing?
I've had it happen when I stuff about too long (like setting up a J1772 adaptor) then the port locks and it's got to be 'opened' again although the door is actually open.

The antenna is in the left C pillar. There is always a delay. On closing, I always pause slightly hold it shut. Only rarely has it ever popped open after that. The various delays are, I believe as Meloccom says, a software routine the car needs to work through.
I dont have any delay when pressing whilst standing behind the car, but do get a delay of 2-3 seconds if I stand next to the charge port door.
To close I simply close, no need to hold, never re-opens.
Both my tesla's perform this way.

I've had it happen when I stuff about too long (like setting up a J1772 adaptor) then the port locks and it's got to be 'opened' again although the door is actually open.

Yes I’ve had that a lot but then I’m using a Chargepoint wall unit with J1772 adaptor constantly until the 3 phase unit is available. I decided to eliminate the charge port time lockout by using a Pebble Time Steel watch & the Tesla Time watchapp. I have to click on buttons on my watch (10 clicks unfortunately) to Open the Charge Port. 10 clicks on a watch is a lot though somehow it’s still quicker & easier than using the app, the car’s charge display or the fob because of that exact same time lock feature that you describe. I’m guessing the Apple Watch Remote S app with voice activation might be the quickest way to open the charge port but I don’t have the Apple Watch.

https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/ap...32?native=false&query=tesla&section=watchapps

Tesla Time.jpg

Be careful about leaving your key in the car before charging. I was using a 3rd party 3 phase and somehow managed to plug it in forgetting to turn the power on to it, and my car locked with the key inside and I could t unplug the charger even after power was turned on / off etc! Luckily I had my phone to unlock it, opened the charge port once inside the car and got my key out. Felt pretty stupid as had only had it for a few days!

Be careful about leaving your key in the car before charging. I was using a 3rd party 3 phase and somehow managed to plug it in forgetting to turn the power on to it, and my car locked with the key inside and I could t unplug the charger even after power was turned on / off etc! Luckily I had my phone to unlock it, opened the charge port once inside the car and got my key out. Felt pretty stupid as had only had it for a few days!
Are you sure it was locked? The handles will always close with the key inside after a few minutes, and you simply touch a front door handle to re-open them.

Are you sure it was locked? The handles will always close with the key inside after a few minutes, and you simply touch a front door handle to re-open them.

Yep, definitely locked. Initially I thought the same - that the handles had just retracted but pushing them did nothing. My phone also confirmed it was locked. Assuming it locked it when the connector was plugged in (although no power to charger). From memory I was able to take connector cable out of car, but then wouldn't let me plug it back in (the internal latch thing had activated). Maybe something to do with unplugging a connector with no power to it with the key in the car. Can't remember exactly what happened but something along those lines...

I think what they are referring to here is the pin (about 5mm in diameter) that should drop down above the socket in your Tesla and locks the plug of the charge cable into your car while it charges. The charge cable plug has a rectangular hole in the top of it (about 6mm x 10mm) that the pin drops into while the car is charging.
The fact that this pin (latch) should lock the charging cable in makes me wonder about stories I have read of people having their car disconnected by others while at super charging stations in the USA.