Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y Range....is really good.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right. I drive the speed limit. It seems like most people who complain about range are driving at illegal speeds. I don't have much sympathy for their complaints.
Well, in some areas driving the speed limit means that you need to drive on the right shoulder with your flashers on! But your point is valid. I set my cruise for 73 which for me is a good compromise between efficiency and not getting run off the road…

Maybe it's the mild weather, but my Model Y (20") range is about 105% EPA...so like 340 miles or so. I've been averaging under 230Wh/mile. Not sure how people are getting down below 250 miles.

That is exceptional efficiency. What type of driving? Interstate, local, mix of both? Very impressive. My average is 283 over 7560 miles - mix of interstate and local. In local driving I occasionally see in the 250 Wh range. Do you have a special technique?

230 wh/mi is very efficient driving. Illinois is the flattest state so that definitely helps. To get a more accurate measure of your efficiency you would need to drive a round trip of a reasonable distance under identical temperature, road and traffic conditions to cancel out any impact from head winds or tail winds.

Reactions: GOVA
You're right. I drive the speed limit. It seems like most people who complain about range are driving at illegal speeds. I don't have much sympathy for their complaints.

You don't drive in Texas, many areas with 80 mph speed limit and some stretches at 85 mph speed limit, many states out west are the same. Arkansas is 75 mph speed limit and you sure as *sugar* aren't getting 230 wh/mile driving the speed limit here. With all the areas that have 80 mph speed limits, thinking that only derange evil criminals would ever drive that fast is a bit silly. I know where to find sympathy in the dictionary, so I don't want yours.

Keith

This is why achieving rated EPA range in Canada is SO FREAKIN EASY. We live in BC. Most speed limits are 100 kmh with many areas being slower than that. I think the highest speed limit is 110 kmh. We have a 2020 model 3 and travelling in the interior of the province it is easy to see 550 kilometres of range. So many small towns dragging you down to 70 kmh. It’s all about the speed.

For 90% of the time as my DD (also in IL) my 2020 Y is SuperMan. Since new my, wh/mi is 253 wh/mi after 56xx miles,
9dGVETa.jpg

of which only 1000 or so were at HIGHWAY speeds. But I would never say that I could maintain that efficiency on LONG road trips across multiple states and in varying weather conditions.

When traveling I have tried driving at:
1. Posted limits aka Granny mode
2. 5 OVER posted limits - it's cool mode
3. Keeping up with traffic posted limits be dammed aka Mad Max mode

I haven't kept detailed driving records but with Routine 2 I can keep my wh/mi just at 300.

But encounter major elevation changes and temps below 35 degrees, wind, rain/sleet/snow, or a combination of all of them and your wh/mi will skyrocket well into the mid to high 300's and you'll be lucky to get 225 miles of range from your Model Y.

But SPEED kills range.

Here's a snapshot from Memorial Day weekend. It was a warm day and we went to the beach (and back) which requires going up and down 2500 ft mountains twice.

- EPA range requires 250 Wh/mi or 28 kWh per 100 miles.
- I got ~109 miles @ 205 Wh/mi that day.

MY_efficiency_5_31_2021.jpg

Can you share some more data perhaps screenshots showing trip data?. Or is this a/c on or off. Do you charge to full? Supercharger vs home?

Here's a snapshot from Memorial Day weekend. It was a warm day and we went to the beach (and back) which requires going up and down 2500 ft mountains twice.

- EPA range requires 250 Wh/mi or 28 kWh per 100 miles.
- I got ~109 miles @ 205 Wh/mi that day.

View attachment 671253
That’s awesome. 205 is very good. That’s pretty low. I usually settle in at 250ish with constant highway. Wheels might be the biggest difference here. That’s my guess.

Reactions: mark95476