Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model 3 has faulty battery. Needs replacement...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's a more serious flaw than those items, IMO. However, I don't know if I would reject the car. It would have to depend on how fast a replacement battery could be installed (maybe with some additional perks offered to soothe the customer), versus the wait for another car to be configured the same.

Well, it's a more serious flaw than those items, IMO. However, I don't know if I would reject the car. It would have to depend on how fast a replacement battery could be installed (maybe with some additional perks offered to soothe the customer), versus the wait for another car to be configured the same.
My point exactly. It is a much more serious flaw. Hence my reasoning as to why I’d want a replacement vehicle.

Kinda late to reject...since OP took delivery. Maybe item 4 of the following could be the claim the OP could use: General Lemon Law | Washington State

4. Days Out of Service
Days out of service accumulated during attempts to diagnose or repair due to one or more ‘nonconformities’ or ‘serious safety defects’. The vehicle has been out of service due to diagnosis or repair:
  • a cumulative total of 30 or more cumulative calendar days
  • at least 15 days occurred during the period of the manufacturer’s written warranty and during the “eligibility period” (see What Is The Eligibility Period?)
  • The consumer sent a written request to the manufacturer asking for repurchase or replacement of the vehicle and
  • manufacturer failed to respond or did not reached a resolution with the consumer within 40 days

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
I personally don’t see it as a lemon (yet). It’s a single component in the car. It’s (reasonably) easy to replace. It’s manufactured seperate from the rest of the car, so it’s not like it indicates other issues.

If the body and everything else looks good, I’d stick with this one for a while.

Reactions: Perry and nvx1977
OP - relax. You will get a new battery and everything will be fine. I really don't see what is there to get all worked up on this.

There have been a few 'S' in 2013 that were swapped with newer batteries and they are all functioning perfectly fine.

Honestly if this happens to me, I will simply get a loaner until they put a temporary loaner battery. Drive my 3 with a loaner battery as much as i can , and I wouldn't bother even if it takes 6 months for them to put a new battery.

There is really nothing to lose sleep over.

My take is that this is actually the best time for something like this to happen. It's called "infant mortality". When applied to electronics, it's the case where a failure occurs within the first few hours or days of operation. Better to identify the issue, or force the problem, early on.

There was a thread recently with a new owner asking if it was safe to take his new Model 3 on a roadtrip right after delivery.

This is why the answer is NO.

I've owned Teslas since 2012. My experience has been extraordinary service in a case like this. Really, a battery replacement is their work to do. It is a much better problem to have than external cosmetic problems as once the battery is replaced, the job is done and invisible. If Tesla has to do cosmetic work maybe it is solved 90%, 98%? A new battery is 100% done.

I personally don’t see it as a lemon (yet). It’s a single component in the car. It’s (reasonably) easy to replace. It’s manufactured seperate from the rest of the car, so it’s not like it indicates other issues.

If the body and everything else looks good, I’d stick with this one for a while.
Yeah, the rest of the car seemed perfectly fine. No reason for me to assume other parts, manufactured separately, are any more likely to be defective than another car.

I've owned Teslas since 2012. My experience has been extraordinary service in a case like this. Really, a battery replacement is their work to do. It is a much better problem to have than external cosmetic problems as once the battery is replaced, the job is done and invisible. If Tesla has to do cosmetic work maybe it is solved 90%, 98%? A new battery is 100% done.
90%? Thanks for giving me that sinking feeling after they've tried to repair a paint chip and at least 10 surface scratches (along with a misaligned passenger door).

90%? Thanks for giving me that sinking feeling after they've tried to repair a paint chip and at least 10 surface scratches (along with a misaligned passenger door).
Vinnie, in your case, I'd say you'll have a 99.99999% perfection! Seriously though, on my 1st Model 3, it required a bit of paint retouch and the job was flawless!

Reactions: vinnie97
Update:

A new battery is in transit to the Seattle service center. Should arrive by Wednesday the 30th. If all goes well with installation, I could have my car back as early as the 31st. That would be 9 days after I took the car in. This is the first Model 3 battery swap in Seattle according to the service center. I'm hoping there aren't any hangups. Model 3 battery installs are more complicated than S or X.

Update:

A new battery is in transit to the Seattle service center. Should arrive by Wednesday the 30th. If all goes well with installation, I could have my car back as early as the 31st. That would be 9 days after I took the car in. This is the first Model 3 battery swap in Seattle according to the service center. I'm hoping there aren't any hangups. Model 3 battery installs are more complicated than S or X.

Make sure they still have the bolts. I’m at day 15 and still no car. Very frustrated

• Helpful
Reactions: UZJedi