Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model 3 has faulty battery. Needs replacement...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model 3 for a week. Left home on my first long range drive with 300 mile left on the battery. Drove 150 miles but only had 90 miles left on the battery when I charged the battery again. The return home battery life was even worse. Anyone else having a problem similar to this? Any advice.
Outside temp? Running heater (if you're not using them, the seat heaters are more efficient to use so use them and then use less cabin heat)? Driving fast, or lots of speeding up and slowing down? Elevation changes? RWD or AWD, 18's (w/ or w/o aero covers?), 19's, ...?

Not enough information. Probably cold weather.
Only getting 210-230 mile out of my battery charged to 300 miles. Last trip— Temperature 50 Fahrenheit. Flat roads. Almost all open highway. Autopilot engaged for most of trip set to 75-80 mph. I can’t believe that any driving condition would account for such consistently poor battery performance.

Only getting 210-230 mile out of my battery charged to 300 miles. Last trip— Temperature 50 Fahrenheit. Flat roads. Almost all open highway. Autopilot engaged for most of trip set to 75-80 mph. I can’t believe that any driving condition would account for such consistently poor battery performance.
Your high speeds are likely to blame. Going that fast greatly increases power consumption. You also likely ran the heater, further cutting your efficiency.

You have seen Model S Efficiency and Range and Roadster Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors, right?

You've also seen info about EPA test procedures, right?
Detailed Test Information

If you look at test details, you'll see the highest average speed of any test cycle is only 48.4 mph. There's some more info via the upper right. You can also look at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/EPA test procedure for EVs-PHEVs-11-14-2017.pdf.

If you went only 55 mph or less the whole time and did not use the heater or AC, you'd likely have no problem traveling beyond 300 miles on a single charge.

Speed and cabin heat are your issues. See Troys chart for an idea of how far you can drive for a given speed.

Reactions: cwerdna
The return home battery life was even worse.
What's the net elevation gain or loss between the two points?

If you use Google Maps and use the bicycle maps, it'll show you an elevation profile. Unfortunately, bicycle routes may not be the same as highway routes. You can instead use the Google Earth app to show you that: Google Earth can give you an elevation profile of a route between 2 points!

If all else is equal, it's possible it was downhill on the outbound and uphill on the return. MANY years ago, Google Earth helped me realize why my instantaneous mpg was always higher in one direction down an expressway than coming back the other way.

I think Donpro needs to start a new thread about his range "complaints" and his posts and all the responses need to be moved there. Doesn't sound like his battery's defective at all.

Is there a standard form/questionnaire here for people with range complaints? I wrote one up for MNL at questionnaire for "short" range/range loss complainers? - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Otherwise, after maybe a a dozen of these, it becomes very old with lots of back and forth and wasted time. Or, people who post complaints, then people ask lots of questions (and can only guess due to lack of info) and the person never returns. If there isn't one, someone can model one similar to mine but the questions will be a bit different (nothing about battery bars or gids, Wh/mile instead of miles/kWh, etc.)

I learned on Priuschat ages ago to not bother with jumping in unless a standard questionnaire was filled out. Otherwise, I and others wasted immense collective amounts of time, often to no avail. I was burned countless times before I wrote up the questionnaire.

Last edited:
I think I may have the new speed record for battery failure.

I took home delivery of my LR AWD the evening of 10/24. It arrived with about 100mi of charge. The next day, after work, I was down to about 60 miles of range left, so I went to a supercharger to top it off. At the halfway mark, I received the "Power reduced", "Unable to charge", "Car needs service" errors! I didn't think to check the odometer at the time, but there was probably about 70 miles on the car.

Fortunately, I had enough charge to make the 30 mi. trip home that night, and still be able to drop it off at the SC first thing the next morning (10/26). And that is where it has been ever since.

They ordered a replacement HV pack. I just learned today that the replacement battery had a problem, too. and that a second replacement HV pack is on order.

They were good enough to give me a P90D for a loaner from day one, which is nice. But I'm ready for my car.

Speed kills. 80 mph range of a M3D is 240-250 after charging to 310. That speed is "airspeed" so winds have a large effect. See this chart: Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 55/60/65/70/75/80 mph

Reactions: cwerdna
I think I may have the new speed record for battery failure.

I took home delivery of my LR AWD the evening of 10/24. It arrived with about 100mi of charge. The next day, after work, I was down to about 60 miles of range left, so I went to a supercharger to top it off. At the halfway mark, I received the "Power reduced", "Unable to charge", "Car needs service" errors! I didn't think to check the odometer at the time, but there was probably about 70 miles on the car.

Fortunately, I had enough charge to make the 30 mi. trip home that night, and still be able to drop it off at the SC first thing the next morning (10/26). And that is where it has been ever since.

They ordered a replacement HV pack. I just learned today that the replacement battery had a problem, too. and that a second replacement HV pack is on order.

They were good enough to give me a P90D for a loaner from day one, which is nice. But I'm ready for my car.
Do you have your car back? I had the same thing happen to me. A second battery came in and, it is reportedly damaged as well. Waiting on battery #3. Had my car 10 days and have had my loaner (albeit a very nice one) for more than 30 days.

Do you have your car back? I had the same thing happen to me. A second battery came in and, it is reportedly damaged as well. Waiting on battery #3. Had my car 10 days and have had my loaner (albeit a very nice one) for more than 30 days.
Yes, I am happy to say. They had my car at the SC for three whole weeks. I got it back on Nov 17th, and it has performed flawlessly ever since.

Best of luck, stiff upper lip, and all that

Reactions: SigNC

75-80 and 50 degrees?

Look...if you want predicted go 65 mph in 70 degree perfect weather. This is in the Tesla 101 course

You want to see something really cool? 75 mph, super heavy rain, 20 degrees heat on max, up a hill, into a headwind, racks on top (when available, sigh) full of surfboards/bicycles...heavy rain is the absolute best if you had to choose only one

some people like hypermiling, I specialize in hypomiling. My goal is to exceed 800wh/mile and I did it in my model S. It's harder to do in the 3 but give me time.

your battery is fine...you just need some knowledge and experience. Read "tesla model S best car ever" or I think there is an equivalent model 3 version. There is so much to know, but its all easy and makes sense.

and it is not poor battery battery performance... what was your avg wh/mile? Your battery capacity is only part of the equation.

In an ice car mileage is effected by the same factors. However, there is usually not a great way to monitor it as effectively....and with gas stations everywhere and large gas tanks and the high potential energy of petroleum no one notices until they realize they are driving on fumes and slow down, turn off AC and pray that their AAA membership is up to date. They don't typically post "OMG this gas tank on this pickup truck must be only 10 gallons" "I only went a hundred and fifty miles towing this horse trailer on a full tank"

Try 70MPH or less on the highway. Over the course of an hour drive you'll only be a few minutes slower to your destination but it'll save you a lot more electrons.

Two weeks ago I took a trip to Disneyland, four of us in the car. My first stop was Kettleman City, which is 199 miles from where I live. Temperature was about 50-54, we had on and off rain, and a crosswind. The heater was set to 70, and I am sure one or two heated seats were on. I drove about 76 once I hit the 70MPH zone. When I arrived at Kettleman City supercharger, I had 12% range left. I believe I was using about 340-350 Wh.