Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Charlotte NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery in Charlotte today, but I am confused about registration & insurance. I know the registration process is different with Tesla versus a legacy auto dealer.

I am selling my old car to Carvana. They will have title to the car today. They say "also need to notify the DMV that you've sold your vehicle and to cancel the current insurance policy once the sale is complete."

Geico says just replace the old with the new vehicle online today, and all will be ducky.

My original Tesla SA told me we'd be using the old plate on the Tesla, saves $157 for a temp license plate. He also told me just notify the DMV and cancel insurance today.

Another Tesla SA the next day told me do NOT cancel old insurance today, or it will mess up registration? He said when you receive your registration in 2-4 weeks, then cancel old car insurance. That could mean a new buyer is driving my old car while it's still insured and registered to me. To cover my bases I added the Tesla to our insurance yesterday without canceling the old - I can do that any time.

Needless to say I don't want any problems with registration, title or license plates. Not sure who to believe at this point...I will ask at the SC again today.

Confused in Charlotte

So I asked a third SA today, and he said because I am transferring plates, I should not cancel registration or insurance until I receive the Tesla registration. Right or wrong, that’s what I’ll go with. Not sure what happens when someone buys my old car and they try to register it if I haven’t cancelled yet…