Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got that text too!

For those who may not have received it:

Tesla Update - You now have the option to equip a tow hitch to your Model Y order -providing up to 1,600 kilograms of towing capacity. The additional cost of Tow Hitch is £1,090. If you would like to update your order, please respond 'YES' within two days and you'll receive a confirmation email once complete.

We very much want a tow hitch, but I REALLY don't want to delay the order any further! I've replied, in case a human reads it.

Reactions: AndyWarrington
I just called the delivery team, and I have indifferent news, good news and bad news.

Indifferent - replying to the text message didn't seem to work, I didn't get a response :)

Good news - according to the person I spoke to (so, take it with a pinch of salt, not all Tesla staff have perfect information) adding the tow hitch will not affect your place in the queue. She also said that RHD MYPs will be made in Berlin.

Bad news - manufacturing of RHD MYPs hasn't started yet, and she said "realistically you're looking at first quarter 2023". This definitely presents a problem for me, to the tune of a five-figure sum :/

She added that once manufacturing spools up we're more likely to get actual delivery estimates. She didn't take my details or reservation number, so anything she said presumably applies to all of us.

I just called the delivery team, and I have indifferent news, good news and bad news.

Indifferent - replying to the text message didn't seem to work, I didn't get a response :)

Good news - according to the person I spoke to (so, take it with a pinch of salt, not all Tesla staff have perfect information) adding the tow hitch will not affect your place in the queue. She also said that RHD MYPs will be made in Berlin.

Bad news - manufacturing of RHD MYPs hasn't started yet, and she said "realistically you're looking at first quarter 2023". This definitely presents a problem for me, to the tune of a five-figure sum :/

She added that once manufacturing spools up we're more likely to get actual delivery estimates. She didn't take my details or reservation number, so anything she said presumably applies to all of us.
I was told the exact same on the phone with a gentlemen yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Ugh. I’m sorry. Why so much?
Thanks! It's totally a first-world problem, and I'm lucky really to be in the position to get myself into this kerfuffle. I got the Model X on a 4-year personal PCP thingy back in 2017, when the company I run didn't have enough in the bank to buy it outright as a company car. Back then I hoped the Model 3/Y would be available by the time the large, final payment was due in 2021. As it got closer, it seemed the Model Y was on the horizon, and we didn't want to get a Model 3 when hopefully the Y was around the corner, so I took a director's loan to cover the final payment of about £51k, with the hope that the Model Y would get delivered before the loan was due, so I could sell the X and repay the loan.

That director's loan needs to be paid back to my company by 1st November, otherwise the company has to pay 33.5% of the loan amount in tax, which is about £17k. If I do this, and then eventually sell the Model X and repay the loan, HMRC will pay the tax back to the company, but it can take up to three years!

So the possibilities are:
• pigs start flying, and my RHD MYP is ready by 1st November
• sell the Model X before 1st November, and be without a large car with a sensible range for months (our other car is a 2013 Renault Zoe with a range of like 80 miles)
• don't repay the loan in time, and have £17k missing for years whilst HMRC drag their heels paying it back
• find some accountancy gymnastics that can be done to solve the situation!

On the up side, at least the Model X currently seems to be worth more than the £51k final payment I made.

Last edited:
Those of you who replied YES to the SMS about tow-hitches - could you please let us know in this thread if/when you get a reply? I replied affirmatively this morning at 08:18, but I'm a little worried that because I replied previously with a question (hoping that the texts went to a human), that their IT system won't register the subsequent YES that I sent to the number. It'd be great to know if/when other people get confirmation, so I know whether I've shot myself in the foot or not :)

Those of you who replied YES to the SMS about tow-hitches - could you please let us know in this thread if/when you get a reply? I replied affirmatively this morning at 08:18, but I'm a little worried that because I replied previously with a question (hoping that the texts went to a human), that their IT system won't register the subsequent YES that I sent to the number. It'd be great to know if/when other people get confirmation, so I know whether I've shot myself in the foot or not :)
I replied ‘yes’ and got an email yesterday to say my order had been updated, but the cast was an additional £1,300. Then I got another order update email about an hour or so ago which altered that to be £1,090. Same reservation number and no other details changed.

On the up side, at least the Model X currently seems to be worth more than the £51k final payment I made.
The market is going to be high for a long while. I have customers, TE, 3M and other tech manufacturers and in 2020 they told me it will take at least 3 years to catch up. Some can’t even get their factories back online right now.

You’ll be able to sell it and get your money back. Or. Sell now order a MY and switch again when the MYP is available. I bought the MY to do the same as I gambled it’ll be a year before the MYP is ready.

I got a reply from Tesla via SMS, saying that all messages do indeed get read, and confirming that adding a tow hitch won't change delay delivery. So it's good to have heard that via two channels now. No email confirmation for me yet though.