Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag on Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that a lane change on autopilot always, unless you have moved the wheel in the last 20 seconds, prompts for a wheel grab. Now, while in the US recently and having driven a Model S for over 3000 miles, I didn't see that behaviour at all.

Question (particularly to those who have driven in multiple counties); does the software in Australia required more grabs than elsewhere?

I have noticed that a lane change on autopilot always, unless you have moved the wheel in the last 20 seconds, prompts for a wheel grab. Now, while in the US recently and having driven a Model S for over 3000 miles, I didn't see that behaviour at all.

Question (particularly to those who have driven in multiple counties); does the software in Australia required more grabs than elsewhere?

Go to settings- the car's in mother in law mode, although switching this off will also disable the ejector seat option.

I can't answer the question either but you mention moving the wheel. I've always wondered how it senses a grab. Does it sense wheel rotation rather than grabbing directly? If so that will make it easier to appease it when it demands a grab !

I can't answer the question either but you mention moving the wheel. I've always wondered how it senses a grab. Does it sense wheel rotation rather than grabbing directly? If so that will make it easier to appease it when it demands a grab !
The torque or turn against AP. Problem is if you use too much force it turns off and if you don't use enough it doesn't see it.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
I was on the other end of the house + car swap. I also noticed that in Australia I was always required to put a bit of torque on the steering wheel to initiate a lane change. That is not required in the U.S. I've read that it is required in Europe. I didn't notice a difference in the nag rate between the two countries. Note that I normally loosely hold the wheel applying insufficient torque for the car to notice.

Test drove the S back in Nov and noticed that it requires it every time too. After watching so many videos online from release, trying it on the motorway I didn't think to apply any pressure but he told me it had to be done or wouldn't switch (it just kept indicating and wouldn't change over), so must be an extra requirement for some countries?

I don't understand the requirement myself.

I mean a fully conscious person just initiated an indicator change. Why nudge the wheel again? If the authorities want confirmation that there is a hand on the wheel, haven't you got that with the hand putting the blinker on?

Next we will have a cockpit camera watching the human to ensure their driving standards comply with the road rules. They will market it on the basis that this car can never be booked. Car won't let you speed, take your eyes off the road, change lanes without indicating or park illegally. The next big step in autonomous driving. And by big step I mean big brother - watching out for us - keeping us safe. Can't wait.

I just apply a little downward pressure on the relevant spoke of the wheel when signalling and it works fine.
Once it starts moving it will complete the move without you having to hang on all the way through.
At least that's my experience.
Even that level of interference required distracts from the overall job of supervising that I consider to be my job.

Reactions: alpal
I mean a fully conscious person just initiated an indicator change. Why nudge the wheel again? If the authorities want confirmation that there is a hand on the wheel, haven't you got that with the hand putting the blinker on?

Yeah - pretty obvious that. Why does such an advanced piece of equipment have to be operated under kindergarten rules?

Why do we have to guess what's going on?

Searched but only found this thread.

Is it still the case that with FSD to "auto lane change" you need to indicate and also apply turning pressure to the steering wheel? I assumed it would just change lane without the turning but I get a message saying I need to do that. Doesn't really seem very automatic.