Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation/GPS not working on brand new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new Model Y yesterday. Noticed when I got in the time was incorrect and the car thought it was at Tesla HQ (2500 Deer Park).

The team at the delivery centre advised me this should fix itself when I start driving, but over a day later and after driving 100 miles it's still not working. I've entered the service menu and can see GPS has an amber dot next to it with 0 satellites fixed.

Raised it via support who said it can take up to 200 miles for it to sort itself, but have said I don't accept this as an acceptable solution and there must be an issue that can be fixed. They've now escalated it, but doesn't feel like getting anywhere.

Any advice?

Reactions: Exscite
The car needs to calibrate all the instruments and components.
I've used dozens of GPS systems over a couple decades now, even in the bad old days it took no more than 2-3 minutes for the GPS to find and lock onto a signal, modern systems are much, much faster (a lot more satellites, I suspect). The process was always much slower if the vehicle was moving. Sorry, but this sounds like nonsense. ... Unless, of course, Tesla has gone to a "vision only" GPS system that needs to read the road signs as you go from town to town to know where it is 🙃

I've used dozens of GPS systems over a couple decades now, even in the bad old days it took no more than 2-3 minutes for the GPS to find and lock onto a signal, modern systems are much, much faster (a lot more satellites, I suspect). The process was always much slower if the vehicle was moving. Sorry, but this sounds like nonsense. ... Unless, of course, Tesla has gone to a "vision only" GPS system that needs to read the road signs as you go from town to town to know where it is 🙃
Were any of them as advanced as Tesla? I test-drove a brand-new MYP off the lot and watch it happen in real-time. If they say give it 200 miles, then give it 200 miles. 🤌

None of the remote diagnostics helped, so took it to a service centre. After a few hours of further tests and apparently replacing the GPS chip, they’ve now given me a loaner car as they need more time to work on the car.

Any suggestions on what to do in this situation? I’ve been sold a car which had GPS that never worked and now it needs to be taken in for repairs.

None of the remote diagnostics helped, so took it to a service centre. After a few hours of further tests and apparently replacing the GPS chip, they’ve now given me a loaner car as they need more time to work on the car.

Any suggestions on what to do in this situation? I’ve been sold a car which had GPS that never worked and now it needs to be taken in for repairs.
It’s a simple GPS electronic antenna component. Could happen on any car just let them swap it and move on.

advice, let them fix it as it is under warranty. do not freak out when you see a message with estimated cost. This is just how the tesla system works. You won’t get billed as car is under full,warranty.

Not sure why they lied to you about driving it 200 miles, that’s BS. I have seen high end aircraft GPS take a couple minutes to realize it’s no longer at the factory, nothing more than two minutes. I’m sure auto GPS does the same, we don’t see them new out of box.

I agree with Yelobird, it’s fixed, or will be soon, no big deal.

LET THEM FIX IT, AND THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY.

Update: vehicle has been with them for a week and remains unfixed. Believe they tried replacing a cable which had high resistance, but this didn’t resolve.

Apparently they’ve ordered a new computer and wiring harness, which won’t arrive until next week.

I’m still within the 14 day return window and seriously debating whether to return or not. I’ve asked if it’s possible to get a replacement Model Y, but it seems to be wait for them to try and fix the current one or return entirely.

Not sure why they lied to you about driving it 200 miles, that’s BS. I have seen high end aircraft GPS take a couple minutes to realize it’s no longer at the factory, nothing more than two minutes. I’m sure auto GPS does the same, we don’t see them new out of box.

I agree with Yelobird, it’s fixed, or will be soon, no big
Yeah , today electric trolling motor for boats for under 2 k have GPS and can do live anchor mode or course plotting on the first use They deal with water currents and wind
But a new MY can't figure out its location for 200 miles? Not buying it. My MYP with 3 miles already had its location when I drove off and it was able to navigate to Applebee's before we drove a full block.
Hope they get the OPs car fixed correctly and quick.

Yeah , today electric trolling motor for boats for under 2 k have GPS and can do live anchor mode or course plotting on the first use They deal with water currents and wind
But a new MY can't figure out its location for 200 miles? Not buying it. My MYP with 3 miles already had its location when I drove off and it was able to navigate to Applebee's before we drove a full block.
Hope they get the OPs car fixed correctly and quick.
You can use your boat for your commute, grocery, road trips, etc then.

Reactions: RHinCT and Yelobird
Update: vehicle has been with them for a week and remains unfixed. Believe they tried replacing a cable which had high resistance, but this didn’t resolve.

Apparently they’ve ordered a new computer and wiring harness, which won’t arrive until next week.

I’m still within the 14 day return window and seriously debating whether to return or not. I’ve asked if it’s possible to get a replacement Model Y, but it seems to be wait for them to try and fix the current one or return entirely.
The last I knew this wasn’t Best Buy, where did you hear about a 14 day return window?

There is no return window.

Reactions: father_of_6
I am in Scotland. There’s a 14 day return period. This is due to distance selling regulations in the UK.

Ideally I don’t want to return, but I’ve completely lost confidence. Also very concerned that the service centre have had to essentially dismantle key aspects of the vehicle and will need to reassemble.
I think in your position I would give them the full 14 day window to repair the car and then only exercise the return if they were unable to repair the car by the deadline.

Reactions: father_of_6