Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near 40% loss in value on 2016 P90D--

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It IS a P90D. Look at the photo of the gauge cluster. Apparently the guy didn't put "P" in the listing details, but it is in fact a Performance model.

I don't see the central instrument cluster, the current photo on eBay is way too small to see any detail.

Here's the center console shot, cropped and rotated...

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 5.12.59 PM.png

As close as you can get today new, that car would be $114,500 cash including the $1200 doc fee and not taking into account the $7500. Most buyers are eligible fir the $7500 back, so you have to subtract that.

They did add other stuff -
- spoiler
- tinting
- $4k warranty
- hpwc

Not sure where that would total out at, but customization never pays back.

It depreciated to below $98k the minute the papers were signed and it rolled out of the lot.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Nice car.... and not to argue, but the Brake Calipers are not red and the center display clearly does not say, "P". I vote 90D

(I just saw the other posts stating exactly what I just posted....from the Dept of Redundancy Department, USA of America.... sorry!)

Last edited:
Interestingly I just took delivery yesterday of a pre-refresh inventory P90DL with 5700 miles. I leased, but sale price was $105.3 from Tesla. Original MSRP was 138.5. It had a March 2016 mfr date.

Anyone buying top of the line is taking huge depreciation hit - no matter what brand, but I think Tesla at the high end is gonna be rough for anyone who is some combination of pre-refresh and especially AP2.

The buyout on my car after 2 years is like $91k, and I won't even consider it, as I don't think it will be worth nearly that much, at least not to me.

You take an immediate depreciation hit the moment you buy the car and again where the next major model change is introduced.

Over time, these changes average out - and we've found that our Model S has depreciated at roughly the same pace as our previous luxury ICEs - roughly 2% per month. And that's held true for our late 2012 P85.

Anyone buying a car and then quickly flipping it is going to be hit pretty hard by depreciation - no matter what car you buy. And because Tesla introduces major changes, whenever they have them ready, the short term depreciation hits aren't as predictable as the major manufacturers who build cars on model years.

In a sense it doesn't even matter if it's a P. Since he didn't write on Ebay that it's a P then he shouldn't be surprised that it's not selling as if it's a P.
$98k is just a stupid high amount to be asking for that car since I could get a similar new one for about the same.

The number of things wrong on this original post is simply astonishing:

- The purchase price of the car is wrong - not $138K
- The trim is wrong: Not P.
- Even with incorrect starting price, the depreciation percentage calculation is completely wrong - not 40%
- The actual price of the car to the owner (which is $7.5k less) was not taken into account.

If you fix all those errors, the depreciation is less than 20%, which is actually great compared to all those expensive German's ICE mobiles.

It IS a P90D. Look at the photo of the gauge cluster. Apparently the guy didn't put "P" in the listing details, but it is in fact a Performance model.
Assuming it is a P (although the images others posted make it clear it is not), how would an inaccurate listing at all reflect the current value? I know I would never bid on such a car assuming it was P90D if it wasn't in the listing. If you tell me it's a 90D, I'm going to bid a 90D price.

(Edit: I Just realized I'm re-iterating bak_phy's comment.)

We leased our P90DL for a purchase price of around $115k. It stickered at almost $145k. I would expect the extremely optioned car to drop in value really quickly (% wise) as it has already been replaced three times (refresh, 100kwh, and AP2.0). The base models not so much because it represents the entry level of the car. The high optioned cars represent cutting edge.