Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighborhood too modest for model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resistance is Futile!

Ha!

To the OP: I get a thumbs up and a wave from people of all stripes: Leaf drivers, landscape contractors in clapped out pickups, teenagers in street rods, you name it. My neighbors all know me as the guy with solar panels and a Tesla S, even if they've never met me. They wave, too.

Occasionally I'll meet someone who's bought the FUD, hook, line and sinker, but that's inevitable; I try to be polite and meet their negativity with facts, but I don't worry about it much. Besides, I get to drive an S every day (which kind of trumps everything else). You can, too.

The Model S costs almost as much as my home was worth just 3 years ago. If I had to shell out to live in a nicer neighborhood, I wouldn't be able to afford a Model S. My California friends would be jealous... A 3,100 sqft house w/ 14 kWh solar, heated pool and spa on 1/3 acre lot including Model S Performance 85 for a total combined cost of... $253,000! :) Except for the crazy stupid politics in this state, Arizonans can afford quite a nice lifestyle... :)

A 3,100 sqft house w/ 14 kWh solar, heated pool and spa on 1/3 acre lot including Model S Performance 85 for a total combined cost of... $253,000! :) Except for the crazy stupid politics in this state, Arizonans can afford quite a nice lifestyle... :)

Yeah, count me as one jealous Californian. In my Orange County neighborhood, that setup would run you $1.2M, easy...

---------

I was at a family gathering yesterday. Everyone wanted to know about the car, etc. My aunt asked how much it cost - I explained that I got the "cheap" version and with the options I got it was $77K pre-tax credit. I explained about the $10K in credits, gas savings, how awesome the car is, and everything, of course, but she just kept saying, "$70K for a plug-in. Can you imagine that? $70K for a plug-in?!?" *sigh*

I'll have to take her for a ride ASAP. Surely that sentiment can be resolved with a Tesla Grin, right?

People seem to respond well to "starts at $70k <pause> They're still a bit spendy. New company, etc. The next one gen is going to be more reasonable."

More specifically, when people get the feeling that you're aware you're paying a bit of a premium for this new tech it helps. And they seem to quickly recognize that this is a new tech premium, not "rich man" gratuitous luxury.

I think for many Model S owners, including myself, this is the most expensive car they have ever owned. We live in a townhouse community (without garages) so everyone knows whose car is whose and work in a small town (also where everyone knows which car is yours).

Regarding cost, I do explain that it's an expensive car (on the front end) but you do save significantly on gas and maintenance so it is inexpensive to own day-to-day. In the end you are reducing pollutants from the environment, decreasing our dependence on foreign oil, and supporting An American company and American jobs, who could argue with that.

This is a beautiful luxury car that stands out no matter where you are. That being said, it is not too showy on it's own. There is nothing flashy about it, just really nice and exceptional. A Bentley, Ferrari, or even a Fisker, OTOH are very flashy cars. The MS is impressive, but not at all snobbish.

I personally am not interested in standing out. That is the main reason why I did not get red, even though it is one awesome color. Otherwise, I would feel fairly comfortable parking or driving a MS is most areas.

I don't have my model S yet, and I'm really dreading people asking "How much does it cost?", especially my relatives and my out-of-work neighbor. It's really hard for people to wrap their minds around how different the total ownership cost is, what with differences in gas, maintenance, tax credits, etc. I'm thinking of saying "Starts at $70k, but it's a little complicated. The ownership cost is about the same as a Mercedes." Or maybe just the last sentence. What do you think?

My husband and I have been talking about getting a model s for a while now and we're getting closer. However I have a bit of a concern that a model s will stick out too much in the neighborhood we live in. Did anyone else have this concern before buying?

whats wrong with that? are you really going to let what other people may think of your car stop you from purchasing it?

the model s is a standout car regardless of its color, i dont see whats wrong with people admiring the greatest car ever made :smile:

whats wrong with that? are you really going to let what other people may think of your car stop you from purchasing it?
Please let's not make assumptions about the reason for the OP's concern here.

That said...

- - - Updated - - -

However I have a bit of a concern that a model s will stick out too much in the neighborhood we live in.
Can you elaborate on why you're concerned? Social drama at block parties? Worried about getting it keyed? Worried about theft (neighborhood crime favoring houses with pricey cars)? Thanks.

To the original poster: I was also a bit concerned about looking "elite", ironically a clear majority of the "thumbs-up" as I travel about are coming from people with beat up vehicles and from people driving vehicles that are gas savers (I did have one Hummer driver give me an enthusiastic thumbs up!). I am here in California so the Model S is well known. Most people here, of all incomes, think of the S primarily as a way off of oil, and a big middle finger to the oil companies. Who doesn't like that!

The people who do their best to not pay attention to the car are the Porsche amd BMW owners as the S challenges their choice and their egos.

I live in a gated condo complex (with lots of foreclosed homes so the community is rather new with folks, such as myself). Most of the cars here are Japanese and every other car is an SUV, with some beamers and mercedes thrown into the mix. I too worried what the neighbors would think. Grant it, I just moved in and none really knew me (or took the time to say hello, but that is somewhat of the expectation, sadly) except my immediate neighbors to the left and right (think attached condo quadriplex). So far I've only gotten "that's so cool" from my immediate neighbors (both sides are retired couples), and turning heads from everyone else. But as others have said..who cares what they think, right? All that matters is that you are proud of owning such a magnificent car. Oh I did see a white 85 parked in guest parking visiting one of the other neighbors on the other side of the complex one time before I bought my car, so mine wasn't the first to the neighborhood.

I recently found myself in an awkward position with a client. My buyer just closed on a single family home for $146,900. As we left the final walk-thru and headed towards our vehicles, my client asked me if I liked my Prius and if I would consider selling it to him. I remarked, "well that's a coincidence, I'll be selling in about a month when I get my new Tesla." Well you can imagine what came next... what's a Tesla? After telling him about the vehicle, he asked, "so what is that, like a $50,000 car?" I nodded in agreement and said "yah, that's about right". I thought that was the most appropriate response given that my Model S is going to cost $110,000 and 75% as much as the house he just closed on.

So yah, I'm a little self conscious.

I recently found myself in an awkward position with a client. My buyer just closed on a single family home for $146,900. As we left the final walk-thru and headed towards our vehicles, my client asked me if I liked my Prius and if I would consider selling it to him. I remarked, "well that's a coincidence, I'll be selling in about a month when I get my new Tesla." Well you can imagine what came next... what's a Tesla? After telling him about the vehicle, he asked, "so what is that, like a $50,000 car?" I nodded in agreement and said "yah, that's about right". I thought that was the most appropriate response given that my Model S is going to cost $110,000 and 75% as much as the house he just closed on.

So yah, I'm a little self conscious.

It can certainly put you in a quandry when you have employees or clients who could get the wrong idea.