Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

neroden's NOT happy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to activate insurance with USAA in less than 5 min once I had final MPVA which had VIN. Worst case would be you wait until the car is sitting right in front of you on your driveway and you make call then before driving it.

Seems like what any reasonable person would do.

If you read the first page of this thread you will see that the problem was that Tesla was requiring insurance information prior to preparing the final MVPA just as they did for me.
Not a problem for me because I had an existing policy for other vehicles but a bit of a problem for someone who has no existing policy.

If you read the first page of this thread you will see that the problem was that Tesla was requiring insurance information prior to preparing the final MVPA just as they did for me.
Not a problem for me because I had an existing policy for other vehicles but a bit of a problem for someone who has no existing policy.

And what was TM reply to his question? Did he ask them what he should do? And I am guessing that they wanted insurance to cover the car that was being FOB to his home. Delivery to a TS store/service center does not require insurance as the car is not yet in the hands of the new owner.

So what is the problem? Why not just tell TM that he cannot get insurance without a VIN?

Emails to George will rot in cyberspace. He doesn't read the emails he gets on this forum. This forum has a notice when emails are read feature, just have a lot more patients for that to happen than waiting for a 40kWh Tesla.

You can't generalize from a sample size of one. I sent an email to GB last week through this forum and had a response within 24 hours.

I'd have thought Tesla could determine a date, in advance, on which they will be able to register the car (and on which it will also be possible to deliver the car to you). Then you get insurance for that start date. And then Tesla does their paperwork. Why is it necessary to use an arbitrary date at first?

Initially, Tesla was refusing to let me complete the MVPA until I had proof of insurance. After raising hell, they changed that rule. However, Tesla was *still* having trouble committing to a delivery date. Once Tesla committed to a delivery date, it all got much simpler.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a simple person. Just ask the insurance agent what to do. Is it that hard?????? Why ask the folks here for a solution that any insurance agent can give you.

Insurance agent told me I needed a delivery date before I could get insurance. Tesla refused (initially) to give me a delivery date until I provided proof of insurance.

The insurance agent was correct. Tesla finally agreed to do the right thing, but not until I'd escalated the problem. In short, the people at Tesla HQ, being Californians, didn't understand how "first car" registration & insurance worked in NY. Presumably they understand now.

- - - Updated - - -

So what is the problem? Why not just tell TM that he cannot get insurance without a VIN?

If you will read, you will see that I did that, and then I told them that I couldn't get insurance without a delivery date. And EVENTUALLY after escalating the problem they managed to commit to a date.

He's also a VP at Tesla so the fact that he responds to what he can is amazing. I think we want him focusing on building great cars and also helping customers but there is only so much one person can do. That's why they hire other people to help out with questions and issues.

Last edited:
Whaaaat? George doesn't obsessively ready every single post on this forum? He has other things to do?

What?? This is unacceptable! I'm going to, ummm, ... hmmm.

I'm going to be grateful that he has taken time to engage with us as much as he reasonably can. The man is traveling worldwide, working insane hours, conducting meetings late into the night, and just doing an amazing job. Give him a break.

Yeah. This is pathetic, though. This is the sort of stuff I would have straightened out six months ago if I had been in charge of the "Customer Experience". George Blankenship is not earning his salary.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water, neroden? I guess the rest of your customer service and owner experience has been equally as horrid for you to make such a comment!

Throwing the baby out with the bath water, neroden? I guess the rest of your customer service and owner experience has been equally as horrid for you to make such a comment!

The car has been great. The individual low-level employees have been great. But the part which is directly and primarily the responsibility of George Blankenship -- the internal corporate coordination of the customer experience -- has been uniformly awful. I might hire Mr. Blankenship as a front-line salesman, but to manage a department? He clearly doesn't know how to do it. It's also worth noting the amount of trouble he created by stating his intent to violate the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act -- something which Elon had to make a special announcement in order to retract. He doesn't do his homework and he failed to organize an internal communications system for the sales division. It's absoutely terrible, and I really don't believe he's earning his salary. This is not to impugn any of the fine people trying to do good work in a completely disorganized, mismanaged department. But he's supposed to be in charge of the department which isn't functioning right. Where does the buck stop?

Tesla has fired people who were performing far better than Mr. Blankenship.

(Edit: this is not to say that his is the *only* problem department at Tesla. The legal department has been nothing but trouble from day one; I hope Tesla has finally hired some more competent people, who I know are *really* hard to find in law. But right now Tesla is still violating the copyrights of several hundred people with every car they deliver, for no good reason, and digging itself deeper and deeper.)

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, you know what? Thinking about it, I bought a service plan and *I don't know what the hell I paid for*. This is appalling customer service. I did it to lock in the price for Ranger service (OK, fine), and because Tesla has been *so unreliable* that I want a stick to shake over their heads if anything goes wrong.... but this is just awful, if you think about it. The car was less of a pig in a poke than the service plan is.

Last edited:
The car has been great. The individual low-level employees have been great. ..

Respectfully, agreed

But the part which is directly and primarily the responsibility of George Blankenship -- the internal corporate coordination of the customer experience -- has been uniformly awful.
Respectfully, disagreed.

I am not saying that you are misspeaking, but my experiences, with some of the very same people (Nick, Dan, Lauren for example) and systems, have been nothing short of great. That having been said, I have had some contact with unknowledgeable individuals in specific circumstances, but this is a large organization, not everyone will perform perfectly (and to everyone else's expectations).

Last edited by a moderator: