Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 60 can be charged to 100% daily without harming long-term battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took me 7 pages to find this post :) Lawsuits in this country can be filed for anything! One reason lawyers get a bad rap. So i'm stucl in the desert between LA and Vegas because of poor planning and decide it's Tesla's fault. If it were me I would call Tesla and say OK i'll take the 75kwh now, charge my credit card :)

Isn't that kind of like blackmail? What if someone were stuck in the middle of the Utah desert on some isolated stretch in a life or death situation and the driver couldn't pony up $9k? Would Tesla leave them there to die?

I would think that Tesla wouldn't ever want to be put into that position. By just not physically having the electrons on board (limiting the top) means they aren't withholding something (at a critical time) for money.

Another example: the Volt limits you from using the lower end of the battery pack as well as upper end (21% to 86% range). You can conceivably get into a situation where you are out of gas, but still have battery left. So far no one has sued GM for it.

That's not accurate. Volt1 switches to ICE when battery SOC reaches 22-% SOC and tries to maintain that 22% SOC when driving on ICE, except if you're in Sport mode. If you're in Sport mode, it maintains SOC at 24% SOC.
However, if you run out of gas, it will switch back to the battery and let you use it until it reaches 17% of SOC. It reduces the max. power, but you're not left stranded.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear and GSP
Yes just checked mine says 75kWh

Attachments

• IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 331
Yes just checked mine says 75kWh
If you supercharge to 100% does it slow considerably for the last 10% or keep up at more or less full amperage?

I'm wondering if routine full 100% range charges on a software-limited 75kWh pack have any disadvantages, since they would really be 80% of an actual 75kWh pack. (Other than regen limiting, which was noted above).

Would someone be willing to compare their new software S60 limited to this curve? The equation that matches my supercharging time for the classic S60 is time(hours)=0.28*{ exp(rates_miles_end/120)-exp(rates_miles_start/120) }. It fits nearly perfectly for a warm battery with when surrounding stalls are empty.

The only question that remains is balancing. According to Jason the BMS initiates balancing once the battery is charged to 93% or above. If the 60 is capped at the top it would never reach that level and would then never initiate balancing. I'm sure Tesla thought of it. It would just be interesting to understand how Tesla keeps their battery in balance.
I have been watching my battery and no matter what the difference is always 4 mV which is 0.1%. That's pretty amazing.

Reactions: DrManhattan
Tesla recommends charging on regular basis to 90%.

With that in mind, if my new MS's 60 kWh battery will basically be a software-locked 75 kWh, is it ok to charge fully to 100% every day? Or still keep at 90%? And what's the rationale behind that?