Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also generally made a habit of resizing large images. More so with vB than now, because now it scales the image display to fit the window. On OS X, it's easy to do with Preview. Just open up, then Tools, Adjust Size, lock the aspect and go for your preferred width.

To me, the main benefit of resizing is limiting bandwidth required for TMC as well as the user. Pages load faster, etc.. which is also one benefit of the thumbnail approach.

Reactions: Andyw2100
That is a great idea Andy, but I do 90+%of my browsing on mobile. Those do not look large. They fit perfectly in-line on my screen. Are they different on desktop browsers? Any thoughts on how I can resize from mobile (or better yet, can this be a checkbox option to have a forum plugin do this when uploading)? Those were just screenshots from my phone, so it would be a 1080p resolution.

I can't help with an answer on how to resize if posting from mobile. Unlike others, I actually find the site less usable now for use via Chrome and Android, and have been spending far less time checking the site from my phone than I had been. (Not a complaint. I know others feel differently.)

I can address how your images appear in Chrome on a Windows 7 notebook, however. Each of those screenshots requires scrolling in order to see the entire screenshot. As a contrasting example, moving up thread, there are several sequences of posts where I can see two complete posts--two of yours in a row, or one of yours and one of Doug's, or omarsultan's and Doug's or yours and ohmman's...you get the idea. Your screeenshots are roughly equivalent in size to four of those posts. I can see roughly half of one of them on my screen at one time.

Edit: And for comparison, Hank's screenshot a little further up thread seems to be an appropriate, just about perfect size.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
That is a great idea Andy, but I do 90+%of my browsing on mobile. Those do not look large. They fit perfectly in-line on my screen. Are they different on desktop browsers? Any thoughts on how I can resize from mobile (or better yet, can this be a checkbox option to have a forum plugin do this when uploading)? Those were just screenshots from my phone, so it would be a 1080p resolution.
They look fine to me.

This isn't a huge deal but the little icons for "reacting" to a post are tiny even in the desktop, requires precision mousing, and even more precision with my stubby fingers on my iPhone... :)
... Probably just me

Yes, I will typically zoom in onto the icons on my iphone before I pick one. Then there's always the undo rating option for my fat fingered imprecision...

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will just use Thumbnails for any images I haven't resized. I didn't realize they appear huge on desktop as they automatically scale on mobile.

And @Andyw2100 , I turn on my persobal desktop maybe once a week, if that. TMC for me is mobile only unless I happen to check it during my lunch hour at work, so on IE then.

Just curious, but what does the orange vertical bar mean in the topic lists - I think I have only seen it on "Snippiness" so I am assuming it has something to be with being read-only (at least to us mortals)?
It indicates a locked/closed thread. There should also be a padlock to the right of the title, where the sticky pushpin sometimes is.

I've updated the Guide/Wiki to reflect this. Thanks.

Just wanted to say I follow several forums and the new design here is really eye candy. I'm sure there are a lot of in the weeds details about it but it's by far the most modern, clean, pleasing format I've seen a forum in, especially on an iPad.

Reactions: doug
Is there a way to bookmark posts and threads?

There are some threads that I want to come back to read in detail later. Because the way the watched thread feature works, it considers the thread viewed and drops it off my active list.

Then I have to search around to find it later. Often I can't remember the title or author or even forum location (often finding it in new posts or linked from another).

Thanks!

Is there a way to bookmark posts and threads?

There are some threads that I want to come back to read in detail later. Because the way the watched thread feature works, it considers the thread viewed and drops it off my active list.

Then I have to search around to find it later. Often I can't remember the title or author or even forum location (often finding it in new posts or linked from another).

When you go to the Watched Threads list, it shows only unread. However, at the very bottom of your list, there's a link that says "Show All Watched Threads." This is effectively a set of bookmarks of all the threads you've watched, ordered by the most recent change. I'll use this to go back through.

You can also make a bookmark of the URL of the thread, truncating it after the name.number/ section (for this thread .../tmc/threads/new-forum-design.65652, for instance). That would save to your browser. I'd try the "Show All Watched Threads" method first, though.

When you go to the Watched Threads list, it shows only unread. However, at the very bottom of your list, there's a link that says "Show All Watched Threads." This is effectively a set of bookmarks of all the threads you've watched, ordered by the most recent change. I'll use this to go back through.

You can also make a bookmark of the URL of the thread, truncating it after the name.number/ section (for this thread .../tmc/threads/new-forum-design.65652, for instance). That would save to your browser. I'd try the "Show All Watched Threads" method first, though.

Thanks! Will try that.

Does anyone know how to create tags? I tried searching but none of the posts that came up mentioned the issue I'm having.

When I tried to edit tags for a post, I get an error message saying I'm not allowed to create new tags. If I'm not allowed to edit them, then perhaps the Tags Edit button shouldn't be displayed?

2016-04-26_1052.png

Reactions: benjiejr
Any idea when the search function that allows a user to see all posts in a selected forum since h/her last visit (without a keyword required) will be implemented? I really miss being able to do that - it saved a lot of time.

Also, still can't post new threads or post a thread from the preview page in the Google Chrome browser.