TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Forum Design

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Thread Summary, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

If you've read all posts in a thread the title should change from black to gray until a new post shows up.

2. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

But I don't want to read everything. Marking read as you peruse through the threads cleans them up real time.

Minor request but much more enjoyable experience in such a large forum.

3. jgs

jgs Active Member

I believe visiting the last page of the thread will do what you want. Not as elegant as a distinguished "mark as read", but a functional workaround.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Are you saying you want to "mark as read" when you haven't actually read the thread?

5. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Correct meaning it is not something I am interested in then clearing the marking which is red stating new topics are waiting.

See in the example link I posted from a very high profile forum that has that function.

Just a suggestion.

6. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

Couple of issues that has been bothering me. On subscribed threads, I don't always get alert notifications from the bell in the upper right corner and it appears to be getting worse. I accidentally uploaded an image in General once and I continue to get alerts on that when I don't want it.

7. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I've noticed that it seems to be directly related to when you post. It seems that if you've posted recently, you'll get alerts (not all, because if it's a really active thread the site doesn't seem to be able to push out all the alerts to you). If you haven't recently posted then it just goes into your "watched threads" and "watched forum" listings.

I don't know definitively if this is the case, but just from what I have observed.

8. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Doesn't the MARK FORUMS READ at the top of the page do what you want?

Screenshot 2016-07-06 19.48.28.png

• Like x 1
  9. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Not on an individual thread by thread basis. It is hard to explain without seeing it in action like the link I posted

It is probably just my OCD in liking a clear forum when I come and go. :)

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I looked at that link, but without being registered or logged in, there are no such options. Maybe a screen-shot?

11. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Crap, good point.
    Sorry about that!!

Attached Files:

12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I've noticed similar behavior. The catch-all verbiage "there may be more posts after this" certainly proves to be the case *without future notification whatsoever in (some percentage of) cases*.

• Like x 1
  13. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I've been mostly on Hiatus from this forum since the site change. To me, this forum version is still extremely painful and inefficient to use.
    So without wasting a day of reading through this thread, have we determined any changes that a user could make on the user end to make the forum usable? Seriously, this change is like going from a very nice, usable, responsive Windows XP, to a train Wreck like Vista, 8 and Windows 10.

I'd like to be more active again, but what takes 5x longer to do now, fits less on my screen, the color scheme is painful. Not to be complaining, but my previous comments (from months ago) still ring true, this really should have been beta or had another 6 months to a year of refinement. Some major changes need to be made. Not saying go back to the old forum software, but at least refine it to make it use-able. It really is painful to use from my perspective, no matter on laptop, tablet or my big desktop monitor.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I've been using the "condensed" format and have found it to be good enough. I've pretty much gotten used to all the changes/learned to live with them.

15. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

This recommendation is related to placing a new thread under the appropriate heading. Seems like there are a number of "Hall Monitors", whose primary goal seems to be whether a submitted thread is in the right place. So....I recommend a Search space in which the subject of a thread can be listed to determine the appropriate Thread Heading.

16. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

THANKS! Wow! What a difference! Can't Believe that one snuk by me! Still needs a lot of improvement, however, At least the site doesnt blink me now!

17. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I've been noticing an odd glitch with logging into the site on both my desktop and IPad (with keyboard).

If I hit the "key" button on the upper right hand corner it brings up a window for my username and password. After I enter my username I hit "tab" to move to the password. However instead of staying in the pop up window, it tabs to the password line on the main-screen. I added arrows to show where the tab goes to:

LoginScreenTMC.jpg

Not a big deal, now that I know this happens. I just manually move the cursor into the appropriate password line. But I figured you all should know about it.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Is this missing functionality still on the list to be added at some point? It's the feature from the previous forum that I miss the most.

19. 1208

1208 Active Member

Having typed your username, press tabs twice and it goes to the window password slot after the main screen.

• Informative x 1
  20. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Thanks! That works great!