Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Headlights and Taillights Confirmed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feeling is that Tesla has a surplus of the older headlights and taillights and will use them on current domestic builds until depleted.

Or maybe they're close to being depleted, since we're starting to see the new headlights and taillights now.

They've been running through the old stock for close to a year now. Clearly these lights were designed for the refresh, just didn't get implemented immediately.

New taillights on the Model S. No more tailgate trim. First it was chrome, then gloss black, now it’s gone. That also changed the entire taillight assembly part. Another change are the Matrix headlights. IMO I don’t care to project Tesla letters but I’m all in for brighter lights!

What are your thoughts?

Link here: Tesla unveils updated Model S with new headlights, taillights, and CCS charge ports

A4577008-03A2-4EA8-AD2D-D90CFB97FFDF.jpeg
190A0527-C034-4DF7-B90C-7437091C1152.jpeg

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Man, I'd be pretty pissed off if I shelled out $140k for a brand new Plaid..........and then 3 months after it was delivered they changed the styling again. Now your brand new car is easily identifiable as "out of date".

That said, the new headlights and trunk/tail light design looks nice (based on 2 grainy photos). Kind of getting that standard look across the platform with the 3 and Y. Bad for early adopters, though!

@HELLAWATTS - there is already another thread about these updates which has been running for the last day. Here's the link:

If any of the moderators on this site see this ... does it make sense to merge these two thread??
(sorry, I don't know how to actually flag this for moderators without "reporting the thread".

New taillights on the Model S. No more tailgate trim. First it was chrome, then gloss black, now it’s gone. That also changed the entire taillight assembly part. Another change are the Matrix headlights. IMO I don’t care to project Tesla letters but I’m all in for brighter lights!

What are your thoughts?

Link here: Tesla unveils updated Model S with new headlights, taillights, and CCS charge ports

View attachment 754938View attachment 754937
I am betting ina future update you will be able to modify the words coming out of your headlights :) at least when the car is standing still

I could careless about the charge port and taillights. However the headlights on my plaid suck and I hope to upgrade them when they are available. Hopefully, that will be possible and not cost 5k!
You mean “I could NOT care less”?
Or that you could be careless ;)

On a serious note though, I do agree with you and hope the new headlights can be retrofit at a reasonable price.

• Funny
Reactions: Oil Freedom
I could careless about the charge port and taillights. However the headlights on my plaid suck and I hope to upgrade them when they are available. Hopefully, that will be possible and not cost 5k!

I hate to break it to you but your current headlights will have continually failing DRLs that, out of warranty, cost 3200 each to replace.

You'll be lucky to get better ones for 5k because not only do these headlights suck, they're defective.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I hate to break it to you but your current headlights will have continually failing DRLs that, out of warranty, cost 3200 each to replace.

You'll be lucky to get better ones for 5k because not only do these headlights suck, they're defective.
Yeah, I’ve heard about these issues. I’m constantly putting on the high beams bc I can’t see anything with these *sugar* headlights. This is what I get when I buy Tesla’s flagship car…the worst headlights out of their entire fleet. 👎🏻

Reactions: casey1202