Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a story today in the news that Tesla is going to lose its 5 star safety rating from NCAP as a result of the removal of the stalks. I still can’t get used to the change in my new Highland car but perhaps they will listen now to the European Safety Authorities. It is such a stupid change in my humble opinion.
Wrong.

Buttons are a physical control.

The flawed basis of the report is that TOUCH SCREEN controls are less safe than "physical" controls.

All of the driving control in the Tesla are already physical controls.

There is a story today in the news that Tesla is going to lose its 5 star safety rating from NCAP as a result of the removal of the stalks. I still can’t get used to the change in my new Highland car but perhaps they will listen now to the European Safety Authorities. It is such a stupid change in my humble opinion.
We have a thread already on the story, rather than have two threads on whether it’s likely to happen or not

I agree with that to be honest. Removing something basic and works in all cars and adding in something that is possibly confusing when they are used constantly and for safety reasons, is pure stupidity in my opinion.

I agree with that to be honest. Removing something basic and works in all cars and adding in something that is possibly confusing when they are used constantly and for safety reasons, is pure stupidity in my opinion.
Well the reason is obviously cost reduction. If Tesla can get away with it and not hurt sales massively then in a way it'll have worked out for them.

I don't think it will work out like that. I wonder if the largish gap between the Highland and Model Y Juniper is maybe Tesla giving the Highland long enough in the market to see if taking stalks away on Juniper makes sense. They cannot afford to really drop Model Y numbers.

Highland was the highest selling sedan in Australia for the month of February (and that's with significant delivery issues and some order holders still waiting on deliveries from orders placed as early as Sept/Oct).

Almost every owner I've heard from prefers the removal of stalks after having the vehicle for a week or two. I really don't think they are going anywhere.

Highland was the highest selling sedan in Australia for the month of February (and that's with significant delivery issues and some order holders still waiting on deliveries from orders placed as early as Sept/Oct).

Almost every owner I've heard from prefers the removal of stalks after having the vehicle for a week or two. I really don't think they are going anywhere.
Maybe but it's too early to tell. There is the early adopters, people that follow this stuff and love their Tesla's so have been waiting for it. Don't get me wrong, I also think it's a great car. However once all those people have purchased the car, will sales hold up or drop off to lower levels than the previous model.

Time will tell on this, I do know when I went for a Test Drive I asked what reaction was from people and they admitted there's a lot that don't like the lack of stalks. Just have to see.

What is the reason for 'prefers' rather than 'accepts' (which I would have expected)?
Yes I was not expecting to prefer them myself.

Once you get used to it you grab the wheel with your right hand in the spot where the buttons are and you always have them under either your left or right thumb.

Once you have that you always have them available without even having to think about it and no need to reach for stalks.

I relate it to regen braking. In theory there's no hassle moving your foot to the brake pedal but as soon as you get used to it, it's much more intuitive and you never want to go back.

Reactions: boombap
Yes I was not expecting to prefer them myself.

Once you get used to it you grab the wheel with your right hand in the spot where the buttons are and you always have them under either your left or right thumb.

Once you have that you always have them available without even having to think about it and no need to reach for stalks.

I relate it to regen braking. In theory there's no hassle moving your foot to the brake pedal but as soon as you get used to it, it's much more intuitive and you never want to go back.
So if I understand what you are saying here. You reach over to the left of the wheel, where the buttons are with your right hand I assume for a roundabout. Then as you turn the wheel you can keep your right hand on the buttons to indicate?

Only a short test drive when I tried it but larger roundabouts aren't so bad, a small mini roundabout where I needed full lock pretty much I completely lost where the buttons were by that point.

Reactions: djtaylor and Drew57
So if I understand what you are saying here. You reach over to the left of the wheel, where the buttons are with your right hand I assume for a roundabout. Then as you turn the wheel you can keep your right hand on the buttons to indicate?

Only a short test drive when I tried it but larger roundabouts aren't so bad, a small mini roundabout where I needed full lock pretty much I completely lost where the buttons were by that point.
No, there's a video in this thread which shows how I do it. That was filmed two days after taking delivery though and I feel like my technique has improved.

When the wheel is turning my right hand goes to that area as the wheel "passes the vertical" of you know what I mean.

On the smaller roundabouts the wheel ends up 'upside down' which puts my right thumb directly on the left indicator.

No, there's a video in this thread which shows how I do it. That was filmed two days after taking delivery though and I feel like my technique has improved.

When the wheel is turning my right hand goes to that area as the wheel "passes the vertical" of you know what I mean.

On the smaller roundabouts the wheel ends up 'upside down' which puts my right thumb directly on the left indicator.
OK makes sense. We have roundabouts that go smaller still but I think for mini ones it seems more don't indicate to exit than do so probably would just have to join that club.

I'm sure in your video upthread you are having to take your eyes off the road momentarily to look at the steering wheel, to know where the buttons are and then select?

I'm sure in your video upthread you are having to take your eyes off the road momentarily to look at the steering wheel, to know where the buttons are and then select?
Not at all. You can actually see my head in the mirror on at least one of them. Using that method one of your thumbs is always right on the button.

Like I said also this was 2 days after delivery. It's so second nature now I don't even have to think about it.

I do get though that it may be more difficult going between a second car with stalks. That said though most cars here in Australia have the indicator on the right stalk which led to dangerous situations for people going back and forth where they went to indicate at slow speeds and instead engaged reverse. So going back and forth between different cars has always been an issue here.

Last edited:

That sounds reasonable enough but by the time I swap my current car I will be into my seventies. Being honest, I'm not sure I 'need' to try and re-learn something that I don't even think about. However I'm open minded & in no hurry so may try it sometime and see if it's as easy as others say.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I picked up my new Highland yesterday. I hadn't appreciated how difficult it is going to be to drive the car without the indicator stalk. If you do a tight left turn then right, for example, the indicator buttons are in the wrong place given the movement of the steering wheel. Roundabouts/three point turns are going to be really challenging. Also, changing gears without a stalk is not easy either. The car has some major improvements from my 2019 Tesla but I'm not sure I would have bought it had I taken a test drive beforehand so for anyone looking to buy one, I would recommend you try it out first. I'm hoping that Tesla will either relent and come up with an after care kit or someone else will come up with one.
The way the new Teslas shift is a complete dealbreaker for me. My 2018 M3 has 50K miles and I'm going to trade it on a new vehicle later this year but there is no way on earth I'll trade for a '24 Tesla. Sorry, Elon, but you will lose my business if you put essential driving functions onto a touchscreen. Driving a car is not playing a video game.

I’ve had my M3 highland for 3 weeks now, the indicator buttons are a non issue as I’m completely used to them now. When negotiating smaller roundabouts you just learn where to place your fingers so can press the correct button to indicate out without looking down. More of an issue I find is the headlight flash button which is further away and as such is a bit more or a stretch and less natural to push…but perhaps over time will get used to that too.

The way the new Teslas shift is a complete dealbreaker for me. My 2018 M3 has 50K miles and I'm going to trade it on a new vehicle later this year but there is no way on earth I'll trade for a '24 Tesla. Sorry, Elon, but you will lose my business if you put essential driving functions onto a touchscreen. Driving a car is not playing a video game.
Please explain which essential driving functions have been put on touch screen.
This is new to me and every review I have read.

Yes, or shift as Timmo referred to it.
I don’t think the shift is a big deal and there is a backup option of physical controls for that also. The indicators at least in the UK are a bigger deal but accept that at least a good few early adopters say they get used to it.

I’m not keen on it but I don’t think it would be a deal breaker for me. I’m considering a Model 3 Ludicrous once I’ve got rid of my Eletre but as I’ll have no car I cannot wait indefinitely so might have to take a Long Range. Not sure what other car options are around that really make much sense at the moment.

Reactions: boombap