Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was planning on Octopus Go, but have an air source heat pump for heating the house, so wondering if having the off-peak over the weekend would make EDF the cheapest option.

Anyone else have an ASHP and an EV?

I have ASHP (and with any luck will have my Model 3 soon!!)
Currently on Octopus Go, but moving to Go Faster tariff (5hrs at 5.5p). This should suit my use in Spring/Summer.
In colder weather over Winter, my guess is that the Agile tariff is actually going to work out the cheapest, by not using the ASHP between 4-7pm.

Reactions: Roy W.
Two questions / observations:
1) I had a new smart meter installed on Friday - but they couldn't link the new gas meter to it (and apparently will have to come back). I'm hoping that won't delay moving the electricity to the Go tariff? Anyone had anything similar?

2) When I inquired about GO - the nice guy on the phone hadn't heard of any deviations to the 00:30 - 04:30 5p/kWh rate and I can't see them published on their site. Some mention they've received emails asking if they want to change the hour slot and duration (between 3 and 5hrs) - anyone successfully managed that from the go (pun intended)?

Nick

1) I had a new smart meter installed on Friday - but they couldn't link the new gas meter to it (and apparently will have to come back). I'm hoping that won't delay moving the electricity to the Go tariff? Anyone had anything similar?

2) When I inquired about GO - the nice guy on the phone hadn't heard of any deviations to the 00:30 - 04:30 5p/kWh rate and I can't see them published on their site. Some mention they've received emails asking if they want to change the hour slot and duration (between 3 and 5hrs) - anyone successfully managed that from the go (pun intended)?

Nick
See above.
Once you're on the Go tariff, just send them an email asking for an invite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200309-085230_Print Spooler.jpg
    Screenshot_20200309-085230_Print Spooler.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

It will have no effect on your move to Go, my gas meter took them another month to sort out but I still moved to Go within a few days of the original install.

As long as your electricity meter is set up correctly and sending the 30 min data you will be fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: NastyNick83
I've been on 'Go' for 7 months now using a smart meter that EDF fitted. My gas does not register, although 'Go' is working perfectly, so I make a monthly reminder to let them have a reading and they send me a monthly bill. I expect that at some stage I will get a visit from a Meter Reader to confirm that I'm not giving misleading readings!

Reactions: NastyNick83
All these metering problems! I’ve no idea why they chose the name “smart”.

I consider myself lucky that my own smart meters have just worked ever since they were installed.
I've barely had an issue with my SMETS1 until last week. I phoned last Monday to ask them to give me a bill for the last 6 months. While I was on the phone I got the first months bill from my dumb meter, my smart meter readings haven't updated on my account since then and I also haven't received a bill for the last 5 months

I've barely had an issue with my SMETS1 until last week. I phoned last Monday to ask them to give me a bill for the last 6 months. While I was on the phone I got the first months bill from my dumb meter, my smart meter readings haven't updated on my account since then and I also haven't received a bill for the last 5 months
It is a real pain trying to get these metering problems sorted out.

I remember when we had our very first set of smart meters installed by First Utility (now Shell Energy) in 2011. They never did get them working at all. I was with them for 12 months, and never had a bill in that time, for either gas or electricity. They were only forced to sort it all out when I decided to leave them.

We're on Agile with smart meters but our Gas readings have to be sent manually due to a problem. However, it didn't affect the deployment of Agile.

Apparently, all the readings are sent from the 'node' (I made that up.... no idea what it's called) on the electric meter and sent together but the gas meter is at the back of the house and out of range of the lecky meter. Doesn't affect the way Agile works though as it's obviously a separate tariff.

Got told today by Octopus that "We are currently at capacity for out Octopus Go Faster Tariff, once we start rolling this tariff out you are more than happy to join but for right now it is still being tested."
I’m not surprised. They’ve been adding small batches of customers every month or so, but it is after all an experiment, and they obviously feel they now have the numbers to get some worthwhile data.

Another reason for the limited numbers is that every customer on the experimental tariff is having their bills manually checked and amended if necessary, which must take quite some time.

I hope that after they’ve gathered worthwhile data that they’ll decide to roll the tariff out generally. However, the trial information did warn that it may be discontinued, presumably if it shows no real benefit to the power network, or if the administrative hurdles are too great.

As said above though, to any newbies, these comments refer to the experimental GO Faster tariff, not to the standard Octopus GO package which is available to all.

• Informative
Reactions: MacPaul
This Friday I will have my 'smart' gas meter replaced.
It is the 3rd 'smart' meter in the last 8 months that has not been 'smart' or in the latest case even a 'meter'.
All of them have been SMETS1 and all of them have been fitted by a clown dressed as a meter installer - the spinning bowtie and big red nose was a clue.
I will have my friendly local gas engineer looking over his shoulder this time - £80 well spent.
My man reported my current installation to the Gas Safety people - beware of the clowns.

My first 'smart meter' install installed (by Siemens) the gas meter hanging off the pipes and waving in the air... they also left without trying to commission the IHD, possibly because the meter was broken and they didn't want to admit it.

Octopus use SMS around here who seem somewhat better. OTOH they haven't managed to install a working meter yet (2 attempts, third coming next week).

I'll check carefully for clown cars outside when they arrive though.

Well latest update.. the engineer tried for 2 hours, 2 more comms units and another meter, then asked me to tell octopus to stop sending them out because there's nothing they can do - there's no signal here.

Octopus seem unwilling to try smets1 so I'm going to have to go for a flat rate with another company because they don't have a tariff for households that can't get smart meters (or at least not a competitive one).

I just had an email exchange about how long it would take to get a smart meter installed and was told 3-6 months!

I decided to try my luck and email Octopus again, not expecting any change, but to my surprise I got an email back straight away providing a number for their meter team. I phoned them and my meters are being fitted next week - assuming the meter person or anyone in the house don't go down with the virus in the meantime that is. Happy days :)

Reactions: Roy W.
Smart meter installed on Wednesday morning. The in home display worked fine displaying electric usage until Thursday evening. Now it’s just “Waiting for data” and then restarting.
The WAN light blinks but HAN light is off on the meter.
Is this just typical unreliable behaviour?
Also there was no Gas data ever displayed but the installer said it can take 48 hours to appear.
I’m with Octopus BTW.