Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats was my thinking. If I just do a top up charge to 80/90% every night then at least if something comes up I have a fully charged car.

I’m not sure if it will make a difference to the battery but my garage is due to be temperature controlled so it will generally be the same temperature as the house in winter. It will always be in the garage at night.

Your Tesla will love a heated garage! This will eliminate the winter "cold soak" where if you haven't driven for a while the battery temperature drops to a point that temporarily shaves of a couple of percentage points of charge (a snowflake icon comes up in the app). Actually in practice that soon recovers once you have been driving along for a while so it quickly comes back. However, you will definitely gain by having full regen braking right from start off even on a cold morning ... all good ... you lucky lucky b*****!

Your Tesla will love a heated garage! This will eliminate the winter "cold soak" where if you haven't driven for a while the battery temperature drops to a point that temporarily shaves of a couple of percentage points of charge (a snowflake icon comes up in the app). Actually in practice that soon recovers once you have been driving along for a while so it quickly comes back. However, you will definitely gain by having full regen braking right from start off even on a cold morning ... all good ... you lucky lucky b*****!

Haha, I will be running my business from there so I am in the process of it being turned in to a studio.

Reactions: Roy W. and Adopado
I personally would suggest getting the car and seeing how it goes. Then make your plans with a few months actual usage. The UMC/granny cable in the car will get a very usable overnight charge in based upon your mileage. The only issue is if your home electrics are not up to it.
(as with ours) in which case, a free supercharge (with Roys referral code:D) or two or a public charger until you get it sorted. We spent 2-1/2 months doing that - got a bit tedious in the end doing a weekly 20 mile round trip to supercharge, but otherwise no issues and worthwhile top-ups get built into normal routine.

Reactions: Roy W.
I personally would suggest getting the car and seeing how it goes. Then make your plans with a few months actual usage. The UMC/granny cable in the car will get a very usable overnight charge in based upon your mileage. The only issue is if your home electrics are not up to it.
(as with ours) in which case, a free supercharge (with Roys referral code:D) or two or a public charger until you get it sorted. We spent 2-1/2 months doing that - got a bit tedious in the end doing a weekly 20 mile round trip to supercharge, but otherwise no issues and worthwhile top-ups get built into normal routine.

I would have done that but my current energy deal ends in February so I need to choose a new supplier.

I have gone with Octopus, they are the cheapest even without having my car, so with it I should still be saving over my current supplier.

I don’t have a referral for free supercharging. I am leasing the car and didn’t have one to give the lease company when I ordered it.

Cheers
Steve

Has anyone had any issues with signal strength for the smart meter?

I’m going to start the switch process tomorrow but also have a pretty ropy mobile signal at home and, using the iPhone, non existent in the cupboard where the electricity meter is. If there’s no signal do Octopus make any effort to try different aerials, or fit an external aerial or communications hub? Assume they’re fitting SMETS 2 meters?

I was emailing Octopus about connection timings and smart meter installation.
They said they usually get people onto Go "within 6 weeks (this accounts for 95% of customers)"
I asked what about the 5%?!
They said some locations may have limited availability or potentially signalling issues but they were able to do a signal check of my property (somehow) to give an indication of how long meter exchange would take.
They told me today they did a signal test for my address and that the signal checker had come back with a "high chance on connectivity" - whatever that means.
The said it would be around a 5 week wait for a smart meter in my area.

Reactions: Masklin

I’m going to start the switch process tomorrow but also have a pretty ropy mobile signal at home and, using the iPhone, non existent in the cupboard where the electricity meter is. If there’s no signal do Octopus make any effort to try different aerials, or fit an external aerial or communications hub? Assume they’re fitting SMETS 2 meters?

It's a toss up really. Strangely it is the SMETS1 that use conventional mobile data whereas the SMETS2 has a separate network.

Reactions: Masklin

They are probably more helpful than most. SMETS2 is the default but they have been known to use SMETS1 where necessary and available ( not being made any more) but there are probably cases where nothing helps and you might be one of those.I thought i was since my previous supplier refused to fit a smart meter due to "noisy WAN" in my area. Octopus's installer went right ahead and fitted one and it seems to be working though it was only days ago and switch to Go has not yet happened so fingers still firmly crossed at this point.

Hi all. I have two Evs to feed so I have decided to switch to Octopus & go for the 'Go' Tariff. I already have a Secure Liberty 100 Smart meter and am free to leave my current supplier, Ecotricity, whenever I choose... So I guess all I am missing is a referral code.. Anyone fancy D'Ming me one?

Ta!

Hi all. I have two Evs to feed so I have decided to switch to Octopus & go for the 'Go' Tariff. I already have a Secure Liberty 100 Smart meter and am free to leave my current supplier, Ecotricity, whenever I choose... So I guess all I am missing is a referral code.. Anyone fancy D'Ming me one?

Ta!
Sent (I think - wasn't sure how to DM on here so I've done it as a 'Profile Post', hope that's ok!)