Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn. I think you're right.

The picture with the bike must have the 2nd row not pulled forward, so that you can use all five seats. And then on the second picture, I managed to screw up the calculations the first time around. This is what I now think (the line follows a box, so it should be fairly accurate):

View attachment 94272
180 cm = 71"

But let's wait until more info is available before settling the bet. (Though you might want to think about a charity. One that I can donate to from Europe.)

- - - Updated - - -

On the up-side. That's good enough that I might not cancel my reservation.

The Model S has 76" (193cm) from inside the tailgate to the fixed center armrest. Suggests the X has less depth but more height; lots of things in the U.S. come in 6' lengths so hopefully your 71" guess is a little off.

I don't think anyone should assume it will have a huge amount more cargo space than a Model S. It's built on the same platform, and Tesla doesn't currently have Tardis technology. It won't be like an Escalade or a Suburban -- those are like giant houses on wheels, the mere sight of which frightens anyone not from the Supersize McDonalds midwest.

I am curious to see the frunk. Some potential to impress there maybe. And I think there are still secrets to be revealed. Given what they have shown, the 2nd row seats look kind of "meh, okay", and they have always talked them up more than that, so while I'm not going to expect more, I wouldn't be surprised to see more when everything is finally revealed.

No, no, no, the 22" wheels are the CAR wheels, not the bike wheels. We have no idea how big the bike wheels are. I used the picture with the boxes to make these calculations.
Yes we do. That is a road bike with 700c wheels. The ones in my garage measure ~67cm (because there is a hub and spokes in the way it's hard to get the tape measure straight across) or ~26.5" in diameter.

Nigel - Did you get any indication as to whether there is room below that back floor hatch still? Hopefully it's removable.

I have been hoping to be able to get a couple bikes upright facing backward with the front wheels removed in the back behind the 2nd row. To do that, with my 58cm Specialized road bikes I'll need a space that is 64" X 40" X 26"(at the very back with hatch closed). Oh yeah, and something I can mount 2 fork mounts to.

Last edited:
Go buy something else like a pickup or an 18 wheeler or whatever if the space is not enough for you. Problem solved. Tesla is not the only auto company in the world and it does not make cars for everyone. I'm serious.

Callmesam, I agree. People are beating a dead horse that is not even there.

Yes we do. That is a road bike with 700c wheels. The ones in my garage measure ~67cm (because there is a hub and spokes in the way it's hard to get the tape measure straight across) or ~26.5" in diameter.

Nigel - Did you get any indication as to whether there is room below that back floor hatch still? Hopefully it's removable.

And we also don't know how far the second row seats are pushed forward since we can't see that in the bicycle image. Only the box image gives you information.

I don't think anyone should assume it will have a huge amount more cargo space than a Model S.

TxqHrWu.png

Folks are only going on the information available to them when they plunked down cash.

Go buy something else like a pickup or an 18 wheeler or whatever if the space is not enough for you. Problem solved. Tesla is not the only auto company in the world and it does not make cars for everyone. I'm serious.

I'd like to calmly ask that folks stop dismissing the concerns of others by simply telling them to go buy something else. If it's not a concern to you, that's fine, but don't immediately think it's not a concern to others who actually have skin (money) in the game.

If you tire of the discussion, simply stop reading the thread(s). Problem solved.

And we also don't know how far the second row seats are pushed forward since we can't see that in the bicycle image. Only the box image gives you information.
True. Hopefully not all the way. Somehow I think they are though.

Looks like it should be close for me with my 2 bikes upright plan. Bonus would be for those 2nd row to actually fit people. Won't be holding my breath though.

Nor has anyone been forced to buy this vehicle........ I think if you are convinced that it is gimmicky from the start why do you not just get something else....... It's beyond me how so many of us here on the forums complain about things that are personal needs and /or tastes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

+1 Thank you for writing this; I promise you're not alone in this thought!

I have been hoping to be able to get a couple bikes upright facing backward with the front wheels removed in the back behind the 2nd row. To do that, with my 58cm Specialized road bikes I'll need a space that is 64" X 40" X 26"(at the very back with hatch closed). Oh yeah, and something I can mount 2 fork mounts to.

I bet you can fit the front wheels in the fronk if that hatch cover doesn't remove.

Just want to point out I am not buying the X but I support Tesla and EVs and want them to succeed.

The failings of no roof storage and no fold down 2nd row seats on a Sports UTILITY Vehicle make me lose faith in Tesla's ability to reason, its astonishingly thick. It will also have a negative impact on the publics perception of Tesla and EVs, in the same way the silly cartoon designs of other EV's have had a negative impact on the adoption of EV's.

I still hope the X succeeds, I like the design and the windscreen.

Nor has anyone been forced to buy this vehicle........ I think if you are convinced that it is gimmicky from the start why do you not just get something else....... It's beyond me how so many of us here on the forums complain about things that are personal needs and /or tastes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

+1 Thank you for writing this; I promise you're not alone in this thought!
So if I understand the two of you correctly, this forum is only for people who are of the same opinion as you and others need to apply?
I suggest unsubscribing from threads that annoy you - many of us have what we consider serious concerns and we'd like to discuss them somewhere.

I bet you can fit the front wheels in the fronk if that hatch cover doesn't remove.
Exactly! Especially with how much room it sounds like there will be up there.

Although, I was mostly thinking of being able to drop the fork mounts a bit into that space at the back if the space wasn't tall enough. If it is I can put my bag of gear and/or helmets, shoes, etc under there.

With these recent musings on the size back there my hopes that the X will work for my lifestyle are certainly buoyed!

On that note, time for a ride! ;-)

Cheers!

Edit: Just remembered that the 3rd row should be an option, so there should be even more space back there without those 3rd row seats. Nice!

So if I understand the two of you correctly, this forum is only for people who are of the same opinion as you and others need to apply?
I suggest unsubscribing from threads that annoy you - many of us have what we consider serious concerns and we'd like to discuss them somewhere.
The confusion is much of this is already (wing for sure, seats 9X%) set in stone so your post give off a different tone/feel than "discussion".

It's not problem solved if half the Model X reservation holders cancel, the car gets bad reviews and the stock tanks. If it's fine for you, great, but the poll in the other thread indicated that a majority of people do not agree with you.