Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also helpful for people going from Burlington to Ellensburg or vice versa although it will re-route them on a kind of weird path. It may not be much worse to go that way during rush hour, but late at night or during other low traffic times, it will be kind of annoying to have to go through Monroe. Obviously those of us with Model S 85+ wouldn't need to stop in Monroe, but the Model 3 will have a shorter range and then there are the mythical Xs with trailers and such.
The trailer-hauling X is not entirely mythical. I have encountered at least two here on TMC- ohmman and jimvandegriff. They both pull Airstreams. Rare beasties, I'm guessing, but slightly easier to find than unicorns.

The trailer-hauling X is not entirely mythical. I have encountered at least two here on TMC- ohmman and jimvandegriff. They both pull Airstreams. Rare beasties, I'm guessing, but slightly easier to find than unicorns.
Those are the only two I've heard of and only on the forum. Never seen one in real life lol. I think they are more rare than Roadsters (have seen 2 of those in the wild).

Will it be done by Easter weekend?
You keep asking us here like we know something you don't. We don't.

From the looks of it, all it's waiting for is a tranformer and then final checks by Tesla's Supercharger team. That means the local Electric Utility and the fine folks on said Supercharger team at Tesla are the ones who know for sure when it will be up and running.

FWIW, my guess, and it's only just a guess, is that there's a better than 50% chance it will be ready by Easter.

You keep asking us here like we know something you don't. We don't.

From the looks of it, all it's waiting for is a tranformer and then final checks by Tesla's Supercharger team. That means the local Electric Utility and the fine folks on said Supercharger team at Tesla are the ones who know for sure when it will be up and running.

FWIW, my guess, and it's only just a guess, is that there's a better than 50% chance it will be ready by Easter.

OK. I'll stop asking.

But will it done by Mother's Day? LOL

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
My guess is that it's about skiers going to Stevens Pass. Downtown Seattle to Stevens is about 80 uphill miles, which is just a little too far to make the round trip.

Last time I took my X75D to Steven's Pass from Kirkland, I burned 45kWh getting up the mountain to the ski resort (75 miles). There was already a Model S on one charger; I took the other. As I was walking away, another Model S pulled up. They burned through their battery and needed a charge to get back home too.

I didn't expect cold weather to hit my battery as much as it does. Unless there's a SC about every 75 miles through the Cascades, I won't try making a winter trip through them in my Tesla.

Last time I took my X75D to Steven's Pass from Kirkland.....

Nit pick: the pass was named for John F Stevens, who discovered it while surveying for the Great Northern Railroad in 1890. Natives had told others that it was there but didn't give directions that they could follow. He was the first non-indigenous person to cross it. He would later design a good part of the Panama Canal. A great engineer.

Last time I took my X75D to Steven's Pass from Kirkland, I burned 45kWh getting up the mountain to the ski resort (75 miles). There was already a Model S on one charger; I took the other. As I was walking away, another Model S pulled up. They burned through their battery and needed a charge to get back home too.

I didn't expect cold weather to hit my battery as much as it does. Unless there's a SC about every 75 miles through the Cascades, I won't try making a winter trip through them in my Tesla.

I am having a hard time getting the EV Trip Planner to use this much energy replicating your trip using 15 degrees as the average temp, a 1.2x speed multiplier, and 1,000 lbs. I've gone up to Stevens Pass in my P90D when it was 0 degrees up there and back to West Seattle without needing to charge. From Kirkland, you should be fine in a X75D. You use very little energy going downhill (if any), so always keep that in mind! Assume an extra 10 miles are used for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain, and you'll get back 7-8 miles for every 1,000 feet you drop coming back.

Checked the site at noon. All the hardware is installed including the transformer. Talked to the only worker there and he said all that is left is left to do is the utility connection. There are 12 stalls, six back in and six pull in. Most of the landscaping is also complete.

See? You guys do know something I don't.

How many stalls are in Burlington? I want to take my first mini road trip to Seattle over Easter.

I am having a hard time getting the EV Trip Planner to use this much energy replicating your trip using 15 degrees as the average temp, a 1.2x speed multiplier, and 1,000 lbs. I've gone up to Stevens Pass in my P90D when it was 0 degrees up there and back to West Seattle without needing to charge. From Kirkland, you should be fine in a X75D. You use very little energy going downhill (if any), so always keep that in mind! Assume an extra 10 miles are used for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain, and you'll get back 7-8 miles for every 1,000 feet you drop coming back.
Yeah I have an S85 and it killed my range. I'm coming from Tacoma & I could never make it even close back to Tacoma. I had a 100% charge too. I found that EV trip planner was not accurate for these mountain/cold trips. I've come to the conclusion (from my experiences) that obtaining only 1/2 the rated range is possible in such conditions. I am not going to turn off the heat for my drive though... I will/do keep it at 67 though.

Last edited:
Other variables for the Stevens Pass trip you guys are discussing are WIND and ski racks. I don't ski myself, but I've read elsewhere that ski racks (or presumably anything on top of the car, such as a kayak) are range killers.

I drive an S90D and the only time I've experienced something as bad as a 2:1 ratio from rated miles to real miles was on the stretch from Twin Falls, ID to Tremonton, UT and that was going 90mph (speed limit is 80 there and I was in a hurry) in 0-10F temps. I actually had to turn off my heat for a couple spells on that trip to be sure I made it. But in the end I still had like 25 rated miles to spare. I guess there must have been a slight downgrade north of Tremonton. So I burned up about 260 rated miles in 147 real miles. Had I not killed the heat, it probably would have been 275 rated miles.

Other variables for the Stevens Pass trip you guys are discussing are WIND and ski racks. I don't ski myself, but I've read elsewhere that ski racks (or presumably anything on top of the car, such as a kayak) are range killers.

I drive an S90D and the only time I've experienced something as bad as a 2:1 ratio from rated miles to real miles was on the stretch from Twin Falls, ID to Tremonton, UT and that was going 90mph (speed limit is 80 there and I was in a hurry) in 0-10F temps. I actually had to turn off my heat for a couple spells on that trip to be sure I made it. But in the end I still had like 25 rated miles to spare. I guess there must have been a slight downgrade north of Tremonton. So I burned up about 260 rated miles in 147 real miles. Had I not killed the heat, it probably would have been 275 rated miles.
No ski racks for me. Speed about 5-10 above speed limit. Might have been some wind but didn't notice anything crazy driving. Teslas will be covered soon though -- so this won't even matter! I can now keep it toasty! Stephens pass resorts needs some more chargers though -- as other ev's are screwed unless they get one of the 2 chargers.

No ski racks for me. Speed about 5-10 above speed limit. Might have been some wind but didn't notice anything crazy driving. Teslas will be covered soon though -- so this won't even matter! I can now keep it toasty! Stephens pass resorts needs some more chargers though -- as other ev's are screwed unless they get one of the 2 chargers.

Nothing on the roof (falcon wing doors and all that), but I had a full load of passengers, was sporting winter tires, and ran the heater the entire way. There was also heavy precipitation and wind. I wasn't exactly light on the accelerator. Left Kirkland at 100%, arrived at the top with 38%.

For the occasions when both L2 chargers are occupied at Steven's Pass, I carry a CHAdeMO adapter to get some juice at Sultan or Skykomish. At Steven's Pass there are 120v sockets on the back of the two chargers that you can trickle off. 5kWh might make the difference between needing to quick charge on the way back or not.

At Steven's Pass there are 120v sockets on the back of the two chargers that you can trickle off. 5kWh might make the difference between needing to quick charge on the way back or not.
I was trying to figure where these were... For the life of me, I could not. Might be helpful to others to post a picture to plugshare if you get a chance next time ;).

My snowboarding days are over, I'm pretty sure I got a concussion and broken rib from my hard falls. One less Tesla to worry about at this charger!

I was trying to figure where these were... For the life of me, I could not. Might be helpful to others to post a picture to plugshare if you get a chance next time ;).

My snowboarding days are over, I'm pretty sure I got a concussion and broken rib from my hard falls. One less Tesla to worry about at this charger!

Location is correct on supercharge.info (zoom in on the location)

supercharge.info