Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cars are state of art.. But I am curious to know why it takes Tesla 3 whole weeks to ship the car to the east coast after it has finished manufacturing. If transported by road, it will not take more than a week to get it across the country.
Shipping via train is very efficient but can be a lot slower than a truck that only ships a few cars at a time. One of my friends ordered a Ford Fusion hybrid last year and once it was shipped from the factory via train, it took three weeks to arrive. He tracked it every day as it went from railyard to railyard. The trains don't ship just cars but all kinds of other cargo. They go from hub to hub and don't necessarily follow the most direct route. In order to be the most efficient as possible, the train only moved to the next railyard when there were several other cars that needed to go to the same destination. At one point, my friend's car was at a railyard 90 miles away but he had to wait several more days before the train that his car was on made it to Denver. After that, it still took the dealership another day or two to prep it. I'm assuming Teslas shipped via rail have the same logistical delays.

Shipping via train is very efficient but can be a lot slower than a truck that only ships a few cars at a time. One of my friends ordered a Ford Fusion hybrid last year and once it was shipped from the factory via train, it took three weeks to arrive. He tracked it every day as it went from railyard to railyard. The trains don't ship just cars but all kinds of other cargo. They go from hub to hub and don't necessarily follow the most direct route. In order to be the most efficient as possible, the train only moved to the next railyard when there were several other cars that needed to go to the same destination. At one point, my friend's car was at a railyard 90 miles away but he had to wait several more days before the train that his car was on made it to Denver. After that, it still took the dealership another day or two to prep it. I'm assuming Teslas shipped via rail have the same logistical delays.

What do you mean by efficient - is that the best way to ship without wearing the car (I'd gladly wait 3 weeks if the risk of wear/damage to the car is significantly higher by road)? Or is it the cheapest option to ship for Tesla?

Man would I love for this to happen to me as well, but, I doubt it. When did you purchase and confirm??
April 9th. Picked up Friday. I actually think the car was available earlier for pick up but I was out of town for business. So less than 6 weeks.

The lift gate is sweet, but not necessary. My 5'0" wife can work it without the power feature if needed.

The lift gate is sweet, but not necessary. My 5'0" wife can work it without the power feature if needed.
It will end up being a very nice bonus for preventing possible liftgate damage -- folks have reported that the hatch raises so high that it can hit things eg. in underground parking. With the power liftgate you can set the max. lift height.

With the manual liftgate I'll just have to learn to watch out. I'm also thinking of some sort of flip-out blanket to protect the painted bumper, which is right there in front of the cargo opening.

Would be nice, but as mine was a fresh 70D order I'm not holding my breath for the same freebie :biggrin:

It will end up being a very nice bonus for preventing possible liftgate damage -- folks have reported that the hatch raises so high that it can hit things eg. in underground parking. With the power liftgate you can set the max. lift height.

With the manual liftgate I'll just have to learn to watch out. I'm also thinking of some sort of flip-out blanket to protect the painted bumper, which is right there in front of the cargo opening.

Would be nice, but as mine was a fresh 70D order I'm not holding my breath for the same freebie :biggrin:

+1 on the manual liftgate being a little better in underground garages. I am working this weekend and went down to put something in the back of the car and the hatch went quite high via the gas hatch struts, and I have no doubt another inch or two (likely with auto liftgate) and it would have popped the garage's piping running overhead where I parked.

I'm quite satisfied with the manual liftgate, it's extremely light and the liftgate struts are very "lifty" already with minimal effort. Seriously, you can start lifting the whole hatch with your pinky finger and it will finish rising under it's own momentum from the liftgate struts.

These cars are so amazing, you just don't care or miss some bundled packages so going with just the essentials is absolutely a good way to go.

+1 on the manual liftgate being a little better in underground garages. I am working this weekend and went down to put something in the back of the car and the hatch went quite high via the gas hatch struts, and I have no doubt another inch or two (likely with auto liftgate) and it would have popped the garage's piping running overhead where I parked.

I think you misunderstood Lex. The manual liftgates have either fully open, or fully closed. The power liftgates have programmable height, then manual the rest of the way if you didn't go to fully open. This latter function can be a bonus for those who might have low hanging items a fully open liftgate would hit.

What do you mean by efficient - is that the best way to ship without wearing the car (I'd gladly wait 3 weeks if the risk of wear/damage to the car is significantly higher by road)? Or is it the cheapest option to ship for Tesla?
I would have to say both. It's much cheaper as a train can take more cars and also it's cheaper. They probably just connect the cars to the next outbound train at the hub, which makes it efficient from a logistics perspective. Also the car never leaves the train car so it's also inside and not exposed or transferred so it's kept safer.

I think you misunderstood Lex. The manual liftgates have either fully open, or fully closed. The power liftgates have programmable height, then manual the rest of the way if you didn't go to fully open. This latter function can be a bonus for those who might have low hanging items a fully open liftgate would hit.

I can vouch for this (as well as limited 'tech' items showing up in recent 10/14-3/15, non-tech'd cars). I was miss-informed by a Tesla phone rep that manual liftgates "go where you leave them", or need to be manually lifted to the height you desire. Nope. Those struts put it to max height, from any usable amount. They do it pretty fast, too. I'd say same height, as auto (by eye).

What can be done to get around this is replacing the struts with shorter ones. I think they're spec'd by the diameter of the ball end they mate to (3/8", 1/4"..), the length they extend to, and the weight they are meant to carry. Search on "hood struts". There is good and bad quality in this market, but don't despair. I'm sure Tesla didn't make their own, and the the OE supplier could possibly have a solution. Just don't assume a 2" shorter strut means 2" lower height (check the geometry of your hatch). Price ~$20-150 each, having done trial and error with another car.

I have delivery scheduled for Thursday the 28th at 10AM, which is 21 days after it finished production. According to my awesome DS, my car is currently on a train in Olive Branch, Mississippi. It has to head to Birmingham where it will then be trucked over to the Marietta showroom. I'm hoping that doesn't take 10 days...

...I just got my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage this morning, so I'm good to go. This will be the longest 10 days ever...

I have delivery scheduled for Thursday the 28th at 10AM, which is 21 days after it finished production. According to my awesome DS, my car is currently on a train in Olive Branch, Mississippi. It has to head to Birmingham where it will then be trucked over to the Marietta showroom. I'm hoping that doesn't take 10 days...

...I just got my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage this morning, so I'm good to go. This will be the longest 10 days ever...

@DrumCoder Did your car sit at the Tesla factory or ship right after finishing production? If all goes well I should be out of production today or tomorrow. I can't stand the thought of another 21 days. Sigh!!

I am having second thoughts that I should have scheduled delivery through Marietta with your "awesome DS" as I have received one phone call from my DS introducing himself after confirming my order. Meanwhile I have left no fewer than 6 emails and phone calls concerning my trade and financing and haven't received ANY communication back. I have even stopped by their store and left a personal message as well.