Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reinforces my belief that I'll lease my first M3, because it won't be hardware ready for full autonomy. By the time my M3 lease is up late 2020 or early 2021, autonomy hardware should be available for production cars.

I doubt it. The car may be capable of doing some trips without intervention in 2020, but it will still require human supervision. I think selling a $35K car that can operate safely with no drive before 2030 would be a major accomplishment.

A five year old may be able to walk to the store alone, but that doesn't mean it is safe or acceptable.

Leasing a new high tech car is still probably still a good idea.

Is the Eye4 three camera?

Yes. AFAIK, the EyeQ4 chip is sampling now, but not expected in production quantities until 2017 at the earliest. Indeed here's a quote from an article 2 weeks ago:

On May 5, 2016 Mobileye NV (MBLY) announced financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2016.

“Our first quarter results highlight consistently solid performance on the current business and continued investment into recently-announced innovative technologies,” stated Ziv Aviram, Co-founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mobileye. “Our EyeQ4 chip is achieving excellent performance ahead of its official launch on already sourced programs for 2018, while we are in advanced development of our fifth generation EyeQ chip planned to be launched in 2020, an accelerated upgrade cycle. We expect to expand REM mapping technology to more OEMs and are forming new partnerships to introduce fully autonomous driving capabilities on the roads. Mobileye’s commitment to innovation and its ability to develop and introduce best-in class technologies, both hardware and software, position us to play a major role in ADAS and autonomous driving.”.

---

Just to muddy the waters, while Tesla is currently using the EyeQ3 chip, neither they or Mobileye have stated that they are going to use the EyeQ4 chip. In all recent press releases and quotes from Mobileye, Tesla's name is conspicuously absent, whereas other high profile names like GM are present. Mobileye's CEO has also characterized in a presentation or two that Tesla's use of the EyeQ3 chip for hands free freeway driving is "aggressive". ie. not something they feel comfortable with. Finally, Tesla recently, quietly, hired a top microprocessor design guru to head up the AutoPilot team. It is an unusual hire unless Tesla wanted to design their own chips...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and newtman
Now some pictures of delivered facelift model is available and can not see any triple cam or any camera difference at all. I think we have to wait for end of the year or early next year for new autopilot hw.
Probably, but just so everyone is clear...no refresh that was ordered after the 4/12 reveal (and price increase) has been delivered yet. Every car you've seen so far was ordered before the refresh. Not saying it makes a difference, but it's an interesting data point.

Technically it doesn't seem that EyeQ4 is needed for 3 cameras AP setup, according to this article mobile eye hinted that it is possible today by connecting several existing EyeQ3. But if that's the case these extra board(s) are probably not in the windshield.

Supplier hints at next generation Autopilot hardware for Tesla within a year

That been said, one chance out of a thousand that our delay in delivery is caused by this. We may have other goodies if there is indeed a retooling but unlikely to be this one at this point.

5 seems needed for 8 cameras, maybe they can get away with 2 or 3 EyeQ3 for "just" 3. That or they are developing their own solution which may combine different hardware vendors (i.e. nVidia chip for deep learning?) unified by their proprietary software. I suspect they want to keep an edge on competition in an agressive manner, so between now and the part 2 reveal for model 3 we'll know more about what they have in house.

The rear view camera video isn't in the MCU in digital form, isn't processed for display by the MCU?

(If it was, the MCU could record it or do object recognition on it, with the right code and enough processing power...)
2 things: First is they don't use the MCU (CID) for any safety-critical stuff. Secondly, yes the CID does not have access to the data, it's done by direct overlay using a FPGA. The CID is woefully underpowered. The CPU is now about 8 years old I think. That's an eternity for Moore's law! Even your cheapest smartphone can now run circles around it.

2 things: First is they don't use the MCU (CID) for any safety-critical stuff. Secondly, yes the CID does not have access to the data, it's done by direct overlay using a FPGA. The CID is woefully underpowered. The CPU is now about 8 years old I think. That's an eternity for Moore's law! Even your cheapest smartphone can now run circles around it.
actually 8 years ago there was only 1 smartphone

If you are referring to the Tegra 3, that is 4-5 years ago (introduced late 2011, early 2012).
Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, 4-5 years is still an eternity in the processor market (esp. the mobile processor market, where the update cycle has shrunk down to as low as half a year).