Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The forward camera is likely infrared sensitive. CMOS sensors needs an infrared filter to NOT see infrared. Warmer things don't need infrared illumination at night to be visible. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that infrared sensitivity is part of how mobileye handles nighttime driving.

I'd be very surprised if Tesla doesn't already do this. We know that they have and keep "black box" accelerometer data (like all other modern cars.)

I think Tesla would need to explicitly disclose video capture and transfer. Also, the data transfer the car does over wifi today is reported as rather small.

Reactions: ZachShahan
CMOS sensors needs an infrared filter to NOT see infrared. Warmer things don't need infrared illumination at night to be visible.

Again, you're confusing two different kinds of IR. CMOS sensors naturally see just below the visible band - around 750 nm to 1400 nm wavelengths. Nothing short of an incandescent bulb glows in this range.

Warmer things are visible in far infrared, 8000 nm to 15000 nm, where thermal camera operate. No room temperauter imaging sensor that can directly read this wavelength has been developed to date, which is why thermal cameras use microbolometers (measuring the resistance change of isolated bits based on temperature change) instead of CMOS sensors - and along with the exotic glass needed is why they tend to be so expensive and low resolution.

Infrared - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Informative
Reactions: ZachShahan and GSP
Do you think that Tesla will make an "announcement" about new AP or just start rolling it out?
I think they'll do the same thing they did last time. And I remember a post on one of the Tesla boards stating he had a friend that worked at Tesla tell him not to order until October. That post still haunts me. I should have delayed our delivery but we had already waited 3 mos by the time we got the car. Delays got worse after their 2-week shutdown.

There was an interesting Elon tweet in response to someone asking about updates to his X.

@elonmusk when is firmware update for full 2nd row seat control and customization coming for Model X? It is quite limited currently.

@SacEV next month (with a lot of other good stuff)

So, I'm expecting not only updates to the X, but the S as well. We know something is coming. And the stockholder's mtg is May 31. Would be a great day to make some announcements. :)

• Informative
Do you think that Tesla will make an "announcement" about new AP or just start rolling it out?

They never really made any announcement about the last three changes, they just showed up in Design Studio. When AP hardware was introduced, Elon announced the dual drive set up a few weeks later and at that time he announced that AP hardware had been installed on all cars for about a month.

• Informative
I've sent an Email to my DS asking that as they prep my car for delivery their tech looks to see if the wiring matches the updated wiring diagrams we have seen (showing a triple camera). Hope she doesn't give me the runaround and they actually are willing to take a look.

Windshield and camera look the same on facelift. Also same part number on windshield in part catalog and description show mono cam. So I think the wiring is just so Tesla does not have to change the wiring again on new build cars when the new camera is available from Mobileye late 2016 or 2017.
I also think the cars with new camera later will have upgraded hw in the MCU (17" screen) +++
So not possible to retrofit easy as it will need more processing power with the new processors from mobileye.

This is info from Mobileye that deliver the system for Tesla.

mobileye.JPG

Last edited:
Windshield and camera look the same on facelift. Also same part number on windshield in part catalog and description states mono cam. So I think the wiring is just so Tesla does not have to change the wiring again on new build cars when the new camera is available from Mobileye late 2016 or 2017.

View attachment 176915

Was this a facelift car that was ordered after the facelift announcement?

The only facelift car I have seen was a Tesla demo car.

But the Tesla part catalog show mono cam and same part number when I choose facelift. Is still possible it is some changes only to the lens so it can use the same windshield or the part catalog is not correct on windshield. But everything else like the new front and headlights ++ are in the part catalog.

Capture.JPG

• Informative
Windshield and camera look the same on facelift. Also same part number on windshield in part catalog and description show mono cam. So I think the wiring is just so Tesla does not have to change the wiring again on new build cars when the new camera is available from Mobileye late 2016 or 2017.
I also think the cars with new camera later will have upgraded hw in the MCU (17" screen) +++
So not possible to retrofit easy as it will need more processing power with the new processors from mobileye.

View attachment 176915

Actually, one of the interesting things I think we learned from wk057's AP upgrade thread is that the master AP computer in current cars is apparently in the module on the windshield. Unless Tesla changes that, you'd be getting the upgraded processor to handle the triple camera built in to the module with the triple camera itself...

• Informative
I've sent an Email to my DS asking that as they prep my car for delivery their tech looks to see if the wiring matches the updated wiring diagrams we have seen (showing a triple camera). Hope she doesn't give me the runaround and they actually are willing to take a look.

Uhhh. Really? I hope you don't actually expect this. Even if extra wires are there, there is no guarantee an upgrade would be available. And perhaps the extra wires aren't even where you would expect, like the doors.

When Tesla is ready to spill the beans, they will make it clear. Until then, a tesla employee isn't going to "look around you car and see if any extra wiring exists."

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm
I've been told by multiple Tesla employees that there is no difference
Between pre announcement and post announcement refresh orders. Is there evidence to the contrary?

Just a $1500 difference ;-)

I have no evidence to the contrary, other than:

1. AFAIK (and based on the spreadsheet) no post-announcement refresh orders have actually been delivered yet, so how would the employees know?

2. I was also told by multiple employees on 4/11 that "there is no refresh coming".

Yeah we know how #2 worked out.

In Massachusetts, you pay for a pass for that allows viewing for 24 hours. Not sure if it is the same in Europe. Posting pages from it may be a violation of copyright laws, but it may also fall under fair use (since it was posted for journalistic reasons and only that small diagram was posted).

Yes, this should definitely be covered by "fair use," but I didn't see a need to post the screenshot (figured people could take my word for it) and the tipster offered to put it in a comment anyway (which is what happened) for people who wanted to verify or take a closer look.

I'm assuming it'll make an announcement. Also think there's a good chance it will be with a P100D announcement. Think it's quite hard to know when that will happen. Depends on 1) suppliers and 2) when Tesla wants a PR boost. Wouldn't be surprised if it's several months from now, but at least we have some strong signs it's basically on the way. And I would be very surprised if not announced within 6 months.

Last edited:
The current AP does not record video. There simply isn't enough bandwidth on the CAN bus to do this, so it's a hardware problem.

There also is no way to record or monitor the rear camera. It's only path is direct overlay on the LCD, there is definitely no way for the AP hardware to get any data from it.

The rear view camera video isn't in the MCU in digital form, isn't processed for display by the MCU?

(If it was, the MCU could record it or do object recognition on it, with the right code and enough processing power...)