Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to add my slightly different case here, looking for opinions:

I have a 2014 S that I bought second hand through private party, and it has unlimited supercharging of course. My 'My Tesla' page doesn't show anything about the supercharging thing that you all have on your accounts, I checked and refreshed a couple times.

My question now is the following: if I upgrade to a new car, will my unlimited supercharging transfer over to my next car, as I'm in the case of free supercharging for life of the car + my life, or wont it be transferable?
I need to use superchargers often, so I might be tempted to upgrade to a newer model 90D... Those glass roofs also look so damn cool, and I'd love some new seats (have the old 1st Gen seats).

I want to add my slightly different case here, looking for opinions:

I have a 2014 S that I bought second hand through private party, and it has unlimited supercharging of course. My 'My Tesla' page doesn't show anything about the supercharging thing that you all have on your accounts, I checked and refreshed a couple times.

My question now is the following: if I upgrade to a new car, will my unlimited supercharging transfer over to my next car, as I'm in the case of free supercharging for life of the car + my life, or wont it be transferable?
I need to use superchargers often, so I might be tempted to upgrade to a newer model 90D... Those glass roofs also look so damn cool, and I'd love some new seats (have the old 1st Gen seats).

I believe you will need to refer yourself or use another referral code to get FUSC on that vehicle but it won't transfer if you sell it AND if you don't have the wording on your MyTesla page your next one without a code might not have it.

For vehicles ordered before January 15 of this year, free supercharging follows the vehicle. What's different is orders after January 15, 2017, free supercharging follows the OWNER and not the VEHICLE. So if you ordered after the 15th, took delivery, and then want to sell that car, it won't have free supercharging for the new owner. However, if you take delivery of another MS or MX, you will have free supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
Electrek clarified again - further proving how Tesla miscommunicated this in epic fashion. It's still not entirely clear but I thinK:

1) Order before 1/15: Free SC for vehicle
2) Order after 1/15 but before 5/19: Free SC for owner (includes subsequent S and X)
3) Order after 5/19: 400 kwh per year UNLESS one of first 5 owner referrals, then free SC for vehicle

Model 3 excluded in all cases.

Delivery date irrelevant as well EXCEPT in situation #1 where delivery before 4/15 qualifies you for free SC for vehicle and delivery after 4/15 qualifies you for free SC for life.

1) is wrong. FUSC is for the owner, subsequent Xs or Ss and the resale of their current vehicle.
Per myTesla for each of my vehicles:

"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.

Reactions: AlanSqB
For vehicles ordered before January 15 of this year, free supercharging follows the vehicle. What's different is orders after January 15, 2017, free supercharging follows the OWNER and not the VEHICLE. So if you ordered after the 15th, took delivery, and then want to sell that car, it won't have free supercharging for the new owner. However, if you take delivery of another MS or MX, you will have free supercharging.
Except that owners who bought prior to January 15th have Supercharging also following them. We get both the car and the owner benefit, at least from what I can tell.

I would be pretty ticked off at Tesla if I was a customer deciding to purchase a 90D or a 100D last quarter, and decided to get the 90D simply for the free Supercharging. The difference between those two cars was only $3k. But then again, Tesla is known to screw over their high end purchasers, i.e. people that purchased the P100D in August and September of last year for over $150k before Hardware 2.0 came out.

1) is wrong. FUSC is for the owner, subsequent Xs or Ss and the resale of their current vehicle.
Per myTesla for each of my vehicles:

"You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner.

I think it is as follows (as more or less mentioned elsewhere, given the multiple threads): there are four scenario's:

1. You had (or had ordered before 15 Jan and did not ask to have delivered after 15 April) an S/X: that S or X has unlimited supercharging (transferrable to new owner). Good for you, the unlimited supercharging on your car remains transferrable ("for the life of the car") and in addition you get unlimited supercharging (for your next car) on any new S/X you buy (the unlimited supercharging of that car will however not be transferrable - see the strategic use of the word 'current' in the second sentence)

2. You have an S/X without unlimited supercharging (ordered after 15 Jan or delivered after 15 April at you request). You now retroactively have unlimited supercharging on your car, wow! That unlimited supercharging on your car is not transferrable to a new owner, but for your next car you do get unlimited supercharging if you buy a new S/X (wow again!).

3. You haven't ordered a S/X yet, but you tomorrow do so via a referral code: good for you, your car (but not you) will be getting unlimited supercharging (not transferrable).

4. You tomorrow order a S/X without a referral code: no unlimited supercharging, and you'll be paying 1000 USD/EUR more.... Well obviously you won't, as you're by hypothesis reading this forum and enough people here have referral codes! There are certainly people deserving to immediately have the reservations of newbies done through them, e.g. Tom, Mel and Robert from Talking Tesla, and probably a lot of others who are also using referrals for goals other than self-enrichment (check out www.justdiggit.nl. for example). I'm not related to either of both initiatives, I just find them good and worthy of 'referral-grabbing'.

I think it is as follows (as more or less mentioned elsewhere, given the multiple threads): there are four scenario's:

.... the unlimited supercharging on your car remains transferrable ("for the life of the car") and in addition you get unlimited supercharging (for your next car) on any new S/X you buy (the unlimited supercharging of that car will however not be transferrable - see the strategic use of the word 'current' in the second sentence)

We said the same thing....although I was only focused on #1 as noted.
Very good summary though, which should be helpful to many.

Reactions: xspace
I went to the Tesla site to price a 75D and a 90D. It said "access to our Supercharger network" with 400kWh of annual credits.. Nothing about free, unlimited.

I am not sure about this whole grandfathering business. It does not seem to be applicable to us. I was logged in, to boot, so it knows we have owned our S for three years.

I went to the Tesla site to price a 75D and a 90D. It said "access to our Supercharger network" with 400kWh of annual credits.. Nothing about free, unlimited.

I am not sure about this whole grandfathering business. It does not seem to be applicable to us. I was logged in, to boot, so it knows we have owned our S for three years.
You are defintly grandfathered as you should have had unlimited SC before this chaos errupted. The website remains offering 400 kWh p.a. because the FUSC go-forward promotion is by referral only. So use your own referral code (or mine :D ) if you chose to trade in. Otherwise you remain in good shape and it should be noted in your MyTesla account, half way down the page under "Supercharging". Confusing as all get up, isn't it?

• Informative
Reactions: cpa
3. You haven't ordered a S/X yet, but you tomorrow do so via a referral code: good for you, your car (but not you) will be getting unlimited supercharging (not transferrable).

I think you got this one backwards. You get lifetime supercharging for any S or X you own but it is non-transferable. Otherwise I agree with your other scenarios. The whole point of this change is they don't want lack of free supercharging to be the obstacle for current owners to upgrade every 2-3 years to the latest S or X.

I finalized my order last week. I'm going to be mad as hades if I can't get unlimited SC!!!!

I ordered a 100D April 2017, and expect receipt mid-June. It would be very strange/disheartening for Tesla to have a 4.67 month vehicle purchase window where purchasers have to pay for supercharging. Tesla normally steps up, so I am reasonably confident that they will in this case as well.

This news does not make me very happy. This just means that we cannot ever trust Tesla at their word. Over 25,000 Teslas were delivered including mine, in Q1 because people believed that unlimited Supercharger was going away forever. And now they are bringing it back less than 2 months later. Tesla is sacrificing their integrity, simply to boost Q2 sales, it's not worth it in the long run.

Just go to a competitor.

They will keep their word. You will never get free supercharging. In fact, you'll never get any fast charging at all because they simply do not exist.

Enjoy!

(No, 50 kw chademos do not count as fast charging)

Very shortly, there will be so many Superchargers in existence, that people will look back on all the hand wringing and fretting over Supercharger lines and wonder why so much effort and energy was expended for absolutely no productive use.

Take Barstow as an example. There will be 20 stalls lit up any moment. It will be physically impossible for Tesla's to arrive so quickly that lines will form. A Tesla car would have to exit I-15 every 60 seconds to Supercharge at Barstow. Even on a Labor Day weekend in 2018 after there are 200,000 new Model 3's on the road, there will not be more than one Tesla car driving down I-15 every minute. When it starts even getting close to that happening, Tesla simply drops another 20 stalls there.

Supercharger congestion: Never Gonna Happen :p

RT
Definitely a US centric observation. Just visit Hong Kong and check out the queues at the SCs. Also, it is rare to be on a major road in HK and not see at least a few Teslas.