Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of thing isn't only used as a demand lever around quarterly earnings. Tesla has also been shown to use this kind of promotion when they're about to change something associated with their models.

While waiting until Q3 and Model 3 announcement before ordering a Tesla is wise advice, I agree... but I must ask, what previous events are you referring to exactly?

My order placed Apr 30 and due to be delivered mid-June now says free supercharging included in the spec sheet. Woo! Getting something for free I didn't expect before the car even arrives is just awesome.

My one worry is the people who will use this as their personal gas station instead of charging at home.

My order confirmed April 27 and due in June does NOT show that. My spec sheet shows a blank in the space where "Unlimited Superchsrging" would appear and Included is written to the right. What the heck???

This kind of thing isn't only used as a demand lever around quarterly earnings. Tesla has also been shown to use this kind of promotion when they're about to change something associated with their models.
Yes, but this offer runs through the end of 2017, meaning for another 7+ months. If this offer was done to spur demand for a change coming in January 2018 it's being done pretty far in advance.

Of course it could have been done for two purposes: because a major S/X change is coming once the new offer ends and because growth in S/X sales is showing signs of tapering off, perhaps because of people waiting to see the Model 3 in showrooms and drive it before making a decision "3 or S?".
Good point, I wouldn't be surprised if we see something new in July.
If the new free unlimited Supercharging offer ended in July than I would agree. But it doesn't.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and ohmman
My order confirmed April 27 and due in June does NOT show that. My spec sheet shows a blank in the space where "Unlimited Superchsrging" would appear and Included is written to the right. What the heck???
You get free super charging. We get free super charging. We all get free supercharging. (I feel like Oprah)

It's missing because it used to state something about getting a limited amount of supercharging.

I wonder if they are going to link the reduction in referrals with their behavior on things like HP, DC charging and performance reduction without owner's consent? Hopefully they will but I do not have a great deal of hope.

Well, actually, perhaps they will but not in the way you think.

Going forward, your DC charging peak rate and Ludicrous performance will actually be linked to your personal referral count.

If you don't do your job, you'll find yourself limited...

(Hopefully only kidding.)

Any guesses how this will affect older model S's where used prices and CPO have still been in the 40s? I imagine it will bring them down in price now that the owners can get the unlimited SC on a new vehicle they are not so beholden to that perk on the older vehicle.

I say this selfishly because I would love for the prices to come down some.

I think it will push customers like you to a used Model S with FUSC, rather than a Model 3 with no unlimited supercharging.

We were disappointed we missed out on FUSC by 1 week when we ordered our S 100D on the first day in January - but that was an acceptable trade-off to get the 100D with over 90 miles more rated range than our "classic" S P85.

Now - we get FUSC!

Since this promotion runs through the end of the year, Tesla's probably doing this to get help from their strongest supporters - current and recent Model S/X owners - to sell more Model S & X cars as the Model 3 production ramps up.

As for the new rewards - the only one that would have much value to us would be #4 (Founder PowerWall 2).

I think it will push customers like you to a used Model S with FUSC, rather than a Model 3 with no unlimited supercharging.

Selling higher-premium/already-available Model S/X is what this is about. Expanding it to Model 3 would be counter to the presumed purpose of this all, so I doubt they will do it - at least not until they need a Model 3 demand lever for some reason or another...

Since this promotion runs through the end of the year, Tesla's probably doing this to get help from their strongest supporters - current and recent Model S/X owners - to sell more Model S & X cars as the Model 3 production ramps up.

Not only that. Tesla hopes its old customers will finally buy new Model S/Xs... when they can get FUSC with it...

Any word on if referrals will work for the Model 3?

I'm thinking they may not do it, at least up front on the 400k pending orders.
No, only the S and X:
Limits
Related order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Owners with one or more referrals in the previous phase between March 16, 2017 and May 19, 2017 will be eligible for both updated and previous phase awards until June 15, 2017. Referral order vehicles must be actually delivered to qualify for awards. Pre-owned vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible. Limit of 5 referrals per owner. Referral code must be applied at the time of order and cannot be added after the order has been placed. Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership.

Amazing Tesla is giving us all free lifetime supercharging for current and any future model x/s we buy and people are still complaining... Can't please everyone i guess...

The difference between this and previous cars with free supercharging is that those cars came with supercharging for life of the car, while you get free supercharging for life of...you.

Selling higher-premium/already-available Model S/X is what this is about. Expanding it to Model 3 would be counter to the presumed purpose of this all, so I doubt they will do it - at least not until they need a Model 3 demand lever for some reason or another...

Makes sense. I am much more likely to upgrade now. I believe EM did mention on the last earnings call about demand for S/X tailing off a bit. As much as they keep anti-selling the Model 3 and try to push people to an S/X, the M3 reservation list just keeps growing.

Reactions: Merrill and KJD
Looks like unlimited also follows us if we upgrade.

hT8uDOg.jpg

I likeeeee , finally something for current owners. This should have been the policy all along. Basically ensuring that owners won't move to other brands in the future