Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is a non-tech version and I don't currently have Supercharging enabled. As such, this tool is more just a curiosity for me. But should the day come that I need Supercharging to go somewhere, I can say pretty definitively that I will use EV Trip Planner. And I can also say with absolute certainty that the first time I use this tool to go somewhere, I will donate.

I hope that others who use the tool do the same, even if it's just $10 or $20 to say "Thanks for making my trip a little easier."

I would highly prefer the in-car browser because it's too much of a safety issue to at my phone's much smaller screen, even if it were mounted at eye-level.

We should just go for the gold ... Tesla needs to make this a native app, or part of the new Nav.

- K

PS: Donated just now too. I've only had the Model S for 4 months, and that tool has been super valuable. It's given me the confidence to do many road trips, including an upcoming 2,000 mile trip up and down the West Coast.

Last edited:
We've been hearing how bad the Tesla Range Assurance trip planning is, and I see some people saying EV Trip Planner is so much better, but I beg to differ. I love EV Trip Planner for plotting energy usage along single leg trips, but for letting it pick your route, nope, never. I was just plotting for a trip from Boise to Portland. I normally pick my own route, but I thought, "Now that there actually is a complete easy Supercharger route from Boise to Portland, let's just see if it picks it right when I put in the end points and hit 'Route Thru Superchargers' ". Disgraceful. Instead of the obvious route along I-84, with stops at the Superchargers in Baker City, Pendleton, and The Dalles (all about 120 mile segments), which should be about 400 miles total, it decided the route should be down to Elko Nevada, along I-80 through Reno, and then up I-5 through California to get to Portland in a big loop of 1,182 miles through 9 Superchargers. WTF?

We've been hearing how bad the Tesla Range Assurance trip planning is, and I see some people saying EV Trip Planner is so much better, but I beg to differ. I love EV Trip Planner for plotting energy usage along single leg trips, but for letting it pick your route, nope, never. I was just plotting for a trip from Boise to Portland. I normally pick my own route, but I thought, "Now that there actually is a complete easy Supercharger route from Boise to Portland, let's just see if it picks it right when I put in the end points and hit 'Route Thru Superchargers' ". Disgraceful. Instead of the obvious route along I-84, with stops at the Superchargers in Baker City, Pendleton, and The Dalles (all about 120 mile segments), which should be about 400 miles total, it decided the route should be down to Elko Nevada, along I-80 through Reno, and then up I-5 through California to get to Portland in a big loop of 1,182 miles through 9 Superchargers. WTF?

Not sure what you're talking about. I just plugged in Boise, ID to Portland, OR and clicked on Route Thru Superchargers.

Result: it properly routed me through I-84 as you would expect, stopping to charge at Pendleton and The Dalles.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 5.26.49 PM.png

I should have taken a screen shot yesterday then. EV Trip Planner has found its brain today, and it's showing the sensible route now. Some kind of weird glitch going on yesterday, I guess.

[Edit] Well that's weird. I had noticed that it was recommending to skip the Baker City Supercharger and do straight through from Boise to Pendleton for the first leg, as your picture showed. So I started messing around with the settings. It will not accept using the Baker City Supercharger. If I turn the speed factor up to 1.25, and then calculate the route again, it still says to go straight from Boise to Pendleton first, even though if you look at the tab that says "Steps", it is expecting you to use 285 rated miles from the car, which is impossible. Some other odd stuff going on with that.

Last edited:
Payload functionality is broken (both new and old)? Adding payload makes almost no difference in consumption.

I calculate a 7% hit in EPA range by comparing a 216lbs difference between a 70D and a 85D. Yet I only see 0.4% hit in range when I try adding 5000lbs payload.