Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me that Tesla had no idea how many people would order the next gen seats which is about 95% of P85D orders. Instead of admitting that they mishandled this assumption they are now falling back on this "seat laying flat problem" excuse that no one seems to have a problem with. They should really just admit whats going on and reduce the price of the nex gen seat package going forward, I'm sure no one would fault them if they did so, these things happen.

Thats a unnecessarily negative tone IMO. Why is it so hard to believe that some early customers complained? Tesla doesn't need to lie or cover up anything. I think they simply misjudged how important flat folding seats are for some customers. They freaked out and now they are scrambling to fix the mistake.

There are alot of vehicles that have folding back seats that do not fold totally flat because of bolstering. Our order went in at a time that we were given the option to keep the next gen backseat or get the old seats. We chose the next gen. In our Chevrolet SUV, the headrests fold backwards when the rear seat is folded forward so that it does not press against the front (especially the driver) seat. I would think they could engineer a headrest, especially in the middle that would fold backward when not in use so as to not block the rearview. But even in our current Tesla when someone is sitting tin the middle back seat the rearview is blocked.

- - - Updated - - -

But even in our current Tesla when someone is sitting tin the middle back seat the rearview is blocked.

It's one thing to have your view blocked by a person that needs to be there. It's quite another to have it blocked by something that is going to be used a very, very small percentage of the time.

Tesla really should have designed (and still should design) the middle head rest to fold or slide or in some other way move so that when not in use, it does not obstruct the driver's view out the rear window. Folding the rear seats down is an option, but not a great one, and of course doesn't work at all if you do have passengers in the back, but no middle back passenger.

Today I got the call, exactly the same script about the fold down issue. I told him I really liked the look of the executive seats and would prefer changing the NG to the Exec.
He said "ok, I"ll make a note of it"
That was easy, thanks Tesla!

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the headrest/restraint design issue may be related to the current and upcoming federal mandated requirements for cars manufactured in the US. I remember speaking with someone (maybe the reg Porsche Rep) about the changes required due 2016??? In the same conversation there was a discussion about EPA mandates affecting ICE vehicles also due 2016. Both of theses mandates were pretty intense requiring "redesign" to comply.

In other words I'm not sure Tesla can redesign these to fold down, or whatever, and still comply. I thinks that's probably why the same obstructed view problems exist with both seats/headrests.

Last edited:
Today I got the call, exactly the same script about the fold down issue. I told him I really liked the look of the executive seats and would prefer changing the NG to the Exec.
He said "ok, I"ll make a note of it"
That was easy, thanks Tesla!

I see you don't have a lot of posts here, so I just want to make sure you're aware of a couple of things. You do realize that there will be a somewhat significant additional charge associated with that change, right? Also your front seats and back seats will have a different appearance, as your front seats will be Next Generation seats, but your back seats look like they were modeled after the 1.5 seats. The stitching patterns and bolsters are very different.

You may well be aware of these things, but I just wanted to make certain.

I would like to re-submit my comment and theory on the calling all P85D customers on seat choice.

How many P85D's were delivered with old seats due lack of new seats? When Tesla refurbish those cars with next gen seats, what are they going to do with all the seats they take out of the cars? I think this is Tesla's way to get rid of a whole bunch of old gen backseat rows. Refurbish and install in cars whose owners during the call were convinced to fall back to older style seats.

I see you don't have a lot of posts here, so I just want to make sure you're aware of a couple of things. You do realize that there will be a somewhat significant additional charge associated with that change, right? Also your front seats and back seats will have a different appearance, as your front seats will be Next Generation seats, but your back seats look like they were modeled after the 1.5 seats. The stitching patterns and bolsters are very different.

This is confirmed? If so what is the source? Some people have had deliveries that did not have the true next-gen installed, but were told they will get Next-Gen installed for free at a later date when it is available.

I was told by my DS that I had a choice between Next-Gen back and Regular Back. I chose Next-Gen and all she said was "Ok, thanks for confirming. You will get Next-Gen seats in the back".

This is confirmed? If so what is the source? Some people have had deliveries that did not have the true next-gen installed, but were told they will get Next-Gen installed for free at a later date when it is available.

I was told by my DS that I had a choice between Next-Gen back and Regular Back. I chose Next-Gen and all she said was "Ok, thanks for confirming. You will get Next-Gen seats in the back".

I'm sure andy will respond but as I'm reading this now... He is talking about the "executive rear seats" which is yet another seat variation that is now offered as an option if you look at the model S configurator. They are fairly nice and include a rear console/cupholder but they do not fold down, do not allow the center rear seat to be used and as Andyw2100 says, they have an extra charge and do not match the next gen seats.
On re-reading your question, you may be asking for confirmation that it is possible to upgrade to the exec seats. This has been confirmed by a few people who have been offered that option.

This thread includes pics of the seats and some discussion:
Model S Executive Rear Seats With Arm Rest

Last edited:
I would like to re-submit my comment and theory on the calling all P85D customers on seat choice.

How many P85D's were delivered with old seats due lack of new seats? When Tesla refurbish those cars with next gen seats, what are they going to do with all the seats they take out of the cars? I think this is Tesla's way to get rid of a whole bunch of old gen backseat rows. Refurbish and install in cars whose owners during the call were convinced to fall back to older style seats.

I seriously doubt they can install refurbished seats in new cars.

A huge number of P85Ds were delivered without the Next Gen seats they should have had. But there are a couple of reasons your theory doesn't make a lot of sense. For one, as breser has pointed out, Tesla isn't going to put refurbished seats in anyone's car and call them new seats. Also as far as I know, no one who has received a P85D without the Next Gen seats has had the Next Gen swapped in yet, and no one has the swap scheduled, so Tesla doesn't yet have any seats to refurbish.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really not sure what you are referring to.

The people who have had deliveries without Next Gen installed, who are getting them later as you say "for free" already paid for them. We should have received the Next Gen seats at delivery. We didn't, so we'll be getting them later. We're not getting anything "for free."

Your DS gave you a choice between Next Gen rear seats, which you have presumably ordered and are planning on paying for, or the older style 1.5 rear seats, along with Next Generation front seats, but without any sort of adjustment in price. In my opinion you made the right choice to stick with the Next Gen rear seats. After asking about the seats, did your DS offer to let you paint his fence?

Last edited:
I am certain that McMuggets use of the term "for free" is referring to the fact that those who elected to have their "missing at delivery" Next Gen seats installed when available, will not be facing any sort of additional installation charge / fee...

I am certain that McMuggets use of the term "for free" is referring to the fact that those who elected to have their "missing at delivery" Next Gen seats installed when available, will not be facing any sort of additional installation charge / fee...

thanks Jaff, that's exactly what I meant. Perhaps my English writing skills aren't the best when I am posting on the fly on my iPhone.

@Andyw2100. Thanks for clarifying.

Seems to me that Tesla had no idea how many people would order the next gen seats which is about 95% of P85D orders. Instead of admitting that they mishandled this assumption they are now falling back on this "seat laying flat problem" excuse that no one seems to have a problem with. They should really just admit whats going on and reduce the price of the nex gen seat package going forward, I'm sure no one would fault them if they did so, these things happen.

That does not make sense given that Tesla is calling each owner and giving them the choice. Anyone who ordered NG all around, and simply states that they still want that during the call, gets NG all around. How does that give Tesla any relief from any missed assumptions, missed quantity estimates, etc?

Not trying to be a smart-alec... I literally do not see how anything they are doing now "fixes" any issues they might or might not have had internally with supply?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Andy, I feel like you got my back and that's cool!
I think that because it's all in black it will still look great. The executive seating makes the interior look a lot more luxurious.
I was having a time spelling so I just googled it, Luxurious by definition...extremely comfortable, elegant, or enjoyable, especially in a way that involves great expense. LOL They must have seen the the Tesla option pricing!

Hi, a newbie here and trying to learn as much as I can while I can still change the spec of my car. Until a very helpful Model S owner told me a couple of days ago, I didn't even realise there ever was such a thing as next generation rear seats, as by the time I designed a car they weren't shown. The only thing that niggled me about the seats, was how flat the standard rear bench looks, which I think is out of place in a high end luxury car. I'm going for the executive seating option and living with the fact that I get one less seat and that they won't fold. As someone who has bailed out of an i8 build to join this party instead, I figure I'm still gaining a massive advantage over what I was going to get in the practicality stakes anyway and I think the centre console in the rear really finishes the car off and gives it a cockpit feel. If I hadn't read on here about the different design of the executive rear seat to the front, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, as to me they are a completely separate entity.
By the way, slightly off topic I know, but I am HUGELY excited about this car! :)

Hi, a newbie here and trying to learn as much as I can while I can still change the spec of my car. Until a very helpful Model S owner told me a couple of days ago, I didn't even realise there ever was such a thing as next generation rear seats, as by the time I designed a car they weren't shown. The only thing that niggled me about the seats, was how flat the standard rear bench looks, which I think is out of place in a high end luxury car. I'm going for the executive seating option and living with the fact that I get one less seat and that they won't fold. As someone who has bailed out of an i8 build to join this party instead, I figure I'm still gaining a massive advantage over what I was going to get in the practicality stakes anyway and I think the centre console in the rear really finishes the car off and gives it a cockpit feel. If I hadn't read on here about the different design of the executive rear seat to the front, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, as to me they are a completely separate entity.
By the way, slightly off topic I know, but I am HUGELY excited about this car! :)

Curius about what you thought about the i8. Problems? Or just not practical? Or it only get like 5 miles of real EV range? Welcome to the Tesla club :)

I'm sure andy will respond but as I'm reading this now... He is talking about the "executive rear seats" which is yet another seat variation that is now offered as an option if you look at the model S configurator. They are fairly nice and include a rear console/cupholder but they do not fold down, do not allow the center rear seat to be used and as Andyw2100 says, they have an extra charge and do not match the next gen seats.
On re-reading your question, you may be asking for confirmation that it is possible to upgrade to the exec seats. This has been confirmed by a few people who have been offered that option.

This thread includes pics of the seats and some discussion:
Model S Executive Rear Seats With Arm Rest
Interesting... I was told this was only possible if your car is not in production or finished. I was told the exec rear seat is not retrofittable for cars with next gen or older seats. I would strongly (90%) consider going with exec seating for when they change out my seats if this is a possibility.