Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pretty much guarantee a number or those cases are worse on the cell phone side
I have worked with phone and tablet manufactures, and now work with automotive ones. I will tell you that the automotive grade standards are more stringent, and more so the expected lifetime is significantly different. A phone lifecycle is expected to be 2-4 years, a car 10+ years. The very same chip in an automotive design is running lower CPU and RAM clock speeds to extend its life expectancy. Automotive design also are expected to work at 90 degC ambient or deep freeze (don't remember exaclty), while phone manufactures are fine with your phone not powering up at all until it's cooled off after you left it on the dashboard of your car mid summer in Athens Greece. I know of a number of phones which will simply not power on at temperatures which automotive is expected to work (perhaps not a full performance, but enough to get the car moving).

All of which to say, the level of expertise necessary for this repair is on par with that necessary to replace the chip iin a phone. That is to say: not overly-specialized. Oh, and a decent hot air station to do it is a couple hundred bucks. A really nice one is $500-600.
Absolutely correct. Replacing a chip in a phone is not much different than replacing one in the car. And absolutely you can do it up to automotive manufacturer's specifications - nothing magic there, perhaps some higher quality equipment with tighter tolerances than a $200 setup and audit logging (all rework temperatures and times logged and quality checked).

PS> You can get an even nicer setup for ~$4K (example here), I don't do enough rework to buy one of those, but an optical alignment is nice to have (used once once at one of my prior employer labs, that one was ~$35K and it did have Quality Assurance logging for official rework done).

Last edited:
Looks like the official NHTSA page has been created:
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

Recalls expected to begin March 30th

Tesla Recall.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
@FlatSix911 (and others). You folks were correct. They rescheduled my appointment for the service center. They said due to complexity of the FM tuner. MCU only they can now do.

Guess I’ll go back and rate my earlier post funny too! :oops:

Now that they committed to replacing old mcu1 daughter cards through recall I’m not sure if I’ll go ahead with mcu2 or wait for the daughter card, see how it works, then decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just got the email for the recall. They will swap the 8gb for the 64gb one. No discount for mcu2 upgrade.

"Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021."
I got this as well.

As I paid for the tools and parts to do this myself, I'll purse the reimbursement and then consider applying that to MCU2 upgrade...

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

I got my email for the recall. I have a scheduled MCU2 upgrade and wonder if they will apply any discount since I'm upgrading due to shitty MCU1 performance (reboots, black screens, SLOW).

They certainly should since the alternative is them doing your daughterboard for free. And then getting $1500 from you from the MCU. Saving you $250 now makes sense.

Reactions: random155
I received the same email, oddly my 75D 2016.5 Model S shows "No recalls" when I enter my VIN at either Tesla or the NHTSA website. Also, if they had long ago offered the software improvements in 2020.48.12.1 that ensures turn signals , back up camera and climate controls work as they now claim, they probably would never have been pressured to the NHTSA to do a recall.

I have worked with phone and tablet manufactures, and now work with automotive ones. I will tell you that the automotive grade standards are more stringent, and more so the expected lifetime is significantly different. A phone lifecycle is expected to be 2-4 years, a car 10+ years. The very same chip in an automotive design is running lower CPU and RAM clock speeds to extend its life expectancy. Automotive design also are expected to work at 90 degC ambient or deep freeze (don't remember exaclty), while phone manufactures are fine with your phone not powering up at all until it's cooled off after you left it on the dashboard of your car mid summer in Athens Greece. I know of a number of phones which will simply not power on at temperatures which automotive is expected to work (perhaps not a full performance, but enough to get the car moving).

Absolutely correct. Replacing a chip in a phone is not much different than replacing one in the car. And absolutely you can do it up to automotive manufacturer's specifications - nothing magic there, perhaps some higher quality equipment with tighter tolerances than a $200 setup and audit logging (all rework temperatures and times logged and quality checked).

PS> You can get an even nicer setup for ~$4K (example here), I don't do enough rework to buy one of those, but an optical alignment is nice to have (used once once at one of my prior employer labs, that one was ~$35K and it did have Quality Assurance logging for official rework done).

I worked (not doing anything related to the actual manufacture/test/qa, just worked in the same building) at a place that made telco equipment and my impression of the reworking was that the rework task itself wasn't a huge difficulty (they bundled a bunch of boards up and shipped them to a rework shop that would do requested work for each board; the boards themselves were $100,000 per so definitely a different rocket than the MCU).

My impression was that the actual expense was the test suite they'd put each reworked board through -- they had a test rig that would heat / cool the board to target ranges while running it through simulated traffic. I think there was also a shake it up test as well.

So the station to pull / replace chips isn't untenable, nor is putting butts in those stations, but doing a huge volume may not be easy. But after you rework the board you still need to verify that it's actually been fixed. Probably you need to also test it prior to fixing it to see why it's failed. None of this is rocket surgery but it adds up.

Clearly tesla seems to think they can pull it off, so good for them. I wonder if I'll get my replacement in 2021 or 2022. Any over/under on if the touch screen will be fixed before or after the widespread distribution of the covid vaccines?

I'd get the MCU2, except I've got B2B warranty until 2023, and apparently an MCU2 upgrade only has a 12 month warranty. Sigh.

Reactions: scaesare
The last two bullets from the Chronology section of the 21V-035 Recall Report has the Tesla response:

• On January 27, 2021, Tesla responded to NHTSA’s request, explaining its view that the eMMC wear condition neither constitutes a defect nor presents an unreasonable risk to safety.
• In the interest of bringing administrative closure to the investigation and to ensure the best ownership experience for our customers, we decided on January 27, 2021, to voluntarily initiate a recall and provide the remedy described below.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
We got the email this morning as well. I checked several 2016-2017 VINs and none showed up on the recall list. I know at least one of the cars has MCU2 so I can understand why it isn't on the list but the others are still MCU1.

Has anyone checked their VIN and found their car list listed as recalled? VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

The notice says the recall isn't expected to start until March 30th, so they may not list VINs in the recall database until then.