Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standard to protect pedestrians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it is mandated, and I disable the sound, and then have a low speed collision (not even with a pedestrian), what do you think the chances are that my insurance company would deny coverage? I'm thinking 100%.
The odds are zero. There's plenty of previous examples on this of other similar situations.
For example, many Canadians don't have working daytime running lights (despite them being legally required in Canada), yet nobody has ever been denied insurance coverage if they have a collision when driving without them, even if they likely would have prevented the collision.

The odds of you getting a minor vehicle maintenance ticket from the police in such a situation is high, but the odds of being denied insurance are zero.

I am partially deaf and previously posted how absurd this is.
When teaching my children how to safely cross the road and navigate car parks i DID NOT tell them to close their eyes and only listen for cars!!!

Of course not!

I taught them to listen and LOOK for cars and use pedestrian crossings.

I have family members who are blind, they use crossings designed for pedestrians when walking and stick to the sidewalks and pedestrian pavement. Since they cant drive, they are only ever navigating car parks with a sighted person to help them. All of us fear bicycles the most since they seem to be found moving fast and silently on pedestrian areas too.

So therefore if this cannot be a mandate to help disabled people, it must be a mandate to protect irresponsible able bodied people who think its everyone else's responsibility to protect them and not take any responsibility for their own actions.

It's not even a law, it's a mandate.

If it were a law, at least there would have been a process to go through and comment on it, call representatives to express your viewpoint, etc.

This is just nasty pro-oil / pro-ICE lobby efforts getting in with an organization that "dictates" policy due to "safety".

Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

I'm no particular fan of these rules, BUT...
  • These rules were in fact mandated by a law passed by Congress. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. (See the Wikipedia link/quotes below.)
  • The NHTSA did go through the regular process for public comment on the proposed rules, and they did make changes based on those comments (summaries of which are included in the NSTSA.gov link below).
  • The law had 0 "no" votes in the Senate and had only 30 "no" votes in the House, all of which were from Republicans. And regardless of your political alignment, there's no real doubt about which party is more pro-oil and anti-environmental protections. Also, the law's sponsor (John Kerry) had a 91% lifetime voting score from the League of Conservation Voters, putting him in the top quartile of senators.
So, question the wisdom of the law and/or rules if you want. But don't spread misinformation and BS conspiracy theories.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/QuietCar_FinalRule_11142016.pdf

Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia
"The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 was approved by the U.S. Senate by unanimous consent on December 9, 2010 and passed by the House of Representatives by 379 to 30 on December 16, 2010.The act does not stipulate a specific speed for the simulated noise but requires the U.S. Department of Transportation to study and establish a motor vehicle safety standard that would set requirements for an alert sound that allows blind and other pedestrians to reasonably detect a nearby electric or hybrid vehicle, and the ruling must be finalized within eighteen months. The bill was signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 4, 2011.

A proposed rule was published for comment by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in January, 2013. It would require hybrids and electric vehicles traveling at less than 18.6 miles per hour (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The agency selected 30 km/h as the limit because according to NHTSA measurements, this is the speed at which the sound levels of the hybrid and electric vehicles approximated the sound levels produced by similar internal combustion vehicles.[30][31] According to the NHTSA proposal, carmakers would be able to pick the sounds the vehicles make from a range of choices, and similar vehicles would have to make the same sounds. The rules were scheduled to go into effect in September 2014. The NHTSA estimates that the new warning noises would prevent 2,800 pedestrian and cyclist injuries during the life of each model year electric and hybrid vehicle.[31][32]

In February 2013, the Association of Global Automakers and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which submitted a joint comment to the NHTSA, announced their support to the rule, but asked the NHTSA to find a noise level that effectively alerts pedestrians without being excessively loud to others inside and outside of the vehicle. They also commented that the rule is too complicated, unnecessarily prescriptive, and it will cost more than necessary. Some automakers also said there is no need for electric-drive vehicles to play sounds while not in motion, "since it is not clear that it helps pedestrians to hear cars that are stopped in traffic or parked." In addition, the carmakers requested the NHTSA to make the new sound system required by 2018 instead of 2014.[31][33][34]

In January 2015, the NHTSA rescheduled the date for a final ruling to the end of 2015. Since the regulation comes into force three years after being rendered as a final rule, compliance was delayed to 2018.[35] In November 2015, the NHTSA rescheduled one more time because additional coordination is necessary. A final ruling was delayed at least until mid-March 2016."

This idea seems like we're going backwards as a society. Tech should be less and less intrusive and distracting in our daily lives. I can think of only a few places where this would be potentially useful: at cross walks, in parking areas, and in residential areas where oblivious kids play in the road. For the first two, it would only seem to be applicable for the vision impaired. But surely a better approach would be to outfit the vision impaired with proximity sensing tech?

In the rest of human history, humans were taught to take responsibility for their own life and would have been told to look out for cars when crossing roads or in car parks.

In this anti-evolution dark age, the selfish humans who want everything done for them must be catered for.

The odds are zero. There's plenty of previous examples on this of other similar situations.
For example, many Canadians don't have working daytime running lights (despite them being legally required in Canada), yet nobody has ever been denied insurance coverage if they have a collision when driving without them, even if they likely would have prevented the collision.

The odds of you getting a minor vehicle maintenance ticket from the police in such a situation is high, but the odds of being denied insurance are zero.

Green1,

I certainly hope you're right!

My Leaf does that up to 16mph and I find it rather annoying, even though it really only shows up in parking lot situations. Even then, almost NO ONE hears that noise, ever. Yes I live in Florida so the old-people-with-no-hearing ratio is high but I surprise people of all ages on a daily basis even with the hum. The Leaf is also such a cheapo car that there is not much isolation from the outside so I would hope that Tesla would be more refined and make it completely inaudible from inside the cabin.

Reactions: dhanson865
Same reason we don't have the DRL override switch in Canada (where DRLs are the law). I wonder if Canadian cars will get a switch for the noisemaker similar to how US cars have the DRL switch?
Nope. Tesla is a US company, and they do everything with a US focus. We get whatever bad things they get, but not necessarily all the good things (for example see our crippled summon)

The problem is not quiet vehicles any more. Its the people walking with their face in their phones that step off curbs in front of buses, trucks and cars. We are losing more people to being run over by passenger buses than electric cars - here.

Reactions: croman