TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Night-time driving; Dash too bright, even at 0% setting.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Robecology, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Robecology

Robecology Member

#1 Robecology, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    Dashboard brightness; Anyone notice "0%" is still too bright?

I notice when I'm driving at night, and I set my dashboard lights to 0% brightness, that they're still quite bright. Anyone else notice this? Elon/techies; is there a solution/adjustment I can make to get a true 0% brightness on the dash?

Thanks, Robert:wink:

2. Robecology

Robecology Member

Anyone else notice this? Elon/techies; any solutions?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I haven't found that to be the case and I've done several long distance night drives and about half of my city driving is at night.

In the city I find 5% to be about right and 0% in the country. I suppose you could put a cover (towel) over the 17" display. Unlike some cars, these displays don't reflect on the windshield.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Ditto what jerry33 said. Lots of night driving and don't have issues after 9 months. Maybe full screen your browser to an all black web page. I find a full screen nav image to be the best for nighttime driving on long distances.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The problem that I see with Tesla's approach to "screen brightness" is that all the slider is doing is changing the screen gamma - it is not changing the intensity of the backlight. Even if you have a totally "black" screen, all that is doing is throwing up black pixels without dimming the underlying backlight. So even a totally black screen will glow grey in the dark due to the backlight.

Tesla needs to dim the backlight.

7. EnergyMax

EnergyMax Member

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Never noticed it. I keep my lighting around 15% day or night. I suppose "too bright" is subjective, but at 0% it's way to dim for me even at night.

9. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Two Suggestions

- In settings, choose Night Mode, so your display stays in night mode all the time. This changes the overall look of the screen, swapping white for black.

- Set up the right-hand thumb wheel on the steering wheel so it controls screen brightness. I adjust it downward several times between sunset and night. Works better than Auto.

I've never found that I have to go darker than 30%.

Robert, it might also depend upon the content of things you're displaying. If you keep the Nav app open, it might be better at night if you turn off the Satellite view.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I haven't had this issue. Perhaps Tesla changed the hardware somewhere along the line?

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Stupid question, but you've got the display in "night" mode at night, right?

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I don't drive much at night, but 0% works fine for me. I could imagine the 17" screen being too bright for very long trips at night, if I found it annoying I'd put up a blank webpage as others have suggested.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I just close my eyes while driving. No brightness problem at all.

14. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I would ask the Service Center about this. I know "too" bright is a personal taste thing. However, this isn't anything I've ever even considered to be a problem. I'm nowhere close to 0% at night and as a lifetime aviator including thousands of hours on night vision goggles in Special Ops, I'm very aware of night vision issues. Your car may have some kind of weird issue.

15. Liz G

Liz G P03056

What do you usually have displayed on the touch screen while driving.

At night I usually have the back up camera displayed on top and music on the bottom of the screen. So because he night background for the music is black the screen is pretty dark for me.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

To keep in practice during the day, you can put the heat shield up and just visualize the destination. It's called Zen driving.

17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Reminds me of my 202 93S Saab which had a night panel button. Push it and everything turned off except for the speedometer.
    Didn't use it but passengers always thought it was "interesting":smile:

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Yes, I noticed this right away and posted as such here 8 months ago. There's too much backlight bleed through on the panels Tesla uses.

My wife just bought a new Volvo that has an all glass cockpit, and the LCD screens they use for the instrument cluster and center screen have way better contrast and black levels. They're slightly anti reflective, so that's nice too. Oh, and the system runs Android so you can download other apps, including Waze. And the touch screen responsiveness is way faster, no lag when scrolling the web browser or using Google maps. Oh, and it takes any 4G or LTE USB dongle you want to supply, so faster networking too. Ok, so yeah I'm just a bit jealous.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I actually wish there was a way to decouple the 17" and the dash display. I find if I lower the setting such that the 17" is to my liking, the dash display is too dark.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Heh. I just use the force.