Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NRMA charger at Jindabyne continues to be problematic with my Model S. Yesterday it interrupted charging with Error 64 at 76% (charge limit set to 100%). The last few times I was there it never managed to charge above 95% where it would stop charging with Error 82 or 84. I don't have problems with any other chargers.

Does anyone know what those error codes mean? Edit: found this list which seems to make sense: forums.aeva.asn.au/download/file.php?id=2776

Being the good citizen that I am I keep trying to let NRMA know there is a problem. This time I gave up after 10 minutes on hold. The previous times they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the problem was but just said they'd pass on the info. Evidently they haven't (or found no issue at their end).

CCS communication errors appear to be the main culprit in my case.

Do other Teslas have issues with those Tritium chargers?

Last edited:
The NRMA charger at Jindabyne continues to be problematic with my Model S.

CCS communication errors appear to be the main culprit in my case.

I charged at the Jindabyne NRMA charger on Tuesday (2-Nov) about lunchtime (2021 MiC Model 3 LR - same firmware as you 2021.36.5.5). Charged from 41-66% in 25 minutes on the charger nearer to the lake.

I have heard from lots of people about problems charging Teslas from Tritium chargers with the same symptoms as you have posted - so it’s definitely not just you! - but I haven’t had it happen myself yet.

The worst I've had was the Mittagong one stop requiring an unplug/reholster/plug in/restart cycle about 6 or 7 times in one charging session (this was back in early 2020 though).

The Young one has always been rock solid for me, though, over many long charging sessions and it's the same model of charger - I've also used the same units at half a dozen other NRMA sites over the last two years without a problem. So I think it might be some particular units that aren't as reliable rather than being a model-wide issue.

If it's anything like many other sites that have used the RTM75, they could well be currently at the same spec as the RT50 (50 kW, one cable in use at a time), but with the potential to easily upgrade in future to 75 kW and dual-connectors. I notice there are parking spaces on both sides of the units which could allow this in the future - it would be interesting to know if this was intentional when they were designing the site.

If that's the case then it doesn't make sense to start deploying dual-CCS2 units at this stage. If one unit is out of order then the end result is no functional Chademo connectors. Which could be a problem in a remote location such as Coonamble.

If that's the case then it doesn't make sense to start deploying dual-CCS2 units at this stage. If one unit is out of order then the end result is no functional Chademo connectors. Which could be a problem in a remote location such as Coonamble.
If someone ever drives a Nissan LEAF to Coonamble, I'd be rather surprised. Sure, some of the less-common variants have the range to get there from Dubbo, but last I heard, if you try to rapid charge a LEAF twice on the same day, it'll fall over, as their battery packs don't have a cooling system, they overheat when they're on a rapid charger, and they won't have had a chance to cool down yet.

The Outlander PHEV can run on fuel if the CHAdeMO is unavailable.

Aside from those two, what other cars still use CHAdeMO?

I know someone who took their Leaf e+ from Hobart on a camping trip around the Northern Territory a few months ago. And who's to say it's their second or third charge of the day? And even if it was, it still charges the car, just at 30-40 kW instead of up to 75 kW.

I'm not even sure why it's a point of argument - a multi stall DC fast charger in Coonamble FFS! Who would have thought that only a couple of years ago?

I notice there are parking spaces on both sides of the units which could allow this in the future - it would be interesting to know if this was intentional when they were designing the site.
The photo seems to be of the back of the charging units, judging by the way the cables go (I can't see the plugs). So you can charge 4 cars there if the dual-plug is enabled. All the NRMA sites (at least the ones on well-travelled routes) need to be upgraded to this.

Reactions: Vostok
Three new "coming soon" sites added - Broken Hill, Wilcannia and Cobar!

253715989_10160054908676042_8852524244635610082_n.jpg

Good spotting.
Really begins to complete the network.

Ideally you'd also have one in Bourke.
And down south Bombala and Eden.

Obviously easier to add to Plugshare than the NRMA website map

Reactions: Chuq
Three new "coming soon" sites added - Broken Hill, Wilcannia and Cobar!

Woo hoo! Camerons Corner here I come 🤣 … well, still not sure I want to drive my Model 3 on sand 🤔

Someone here once reckoned they would never park an EV and charge in Wilcannia. I’ve never been there but is it really that rough? I’ve been to some remote towns in NT (not in an EV) that were… interesting.

Many years ago, I was with a government survey group and we set up our trucks outside Wilcannia. One of our group (Alex) had come ahead and negotiated with landowners. He had commented "all is okay" and the nice lady plied him with tea and scones. So, after we set up, we went to the pub. A while later, a fairly tough and aggressive farmer came in and spotted us outsiders. He had a shotgun. "Who's in charge here?", he said. I meekly owned up. He said we were on his land and that his sheep were lambing and we were trespassing. He added that he had shot our truck "full of holes" with the shotgun. The truck was full of expensive computing equipment! Then he said that he wanted us off his land immediately and we would be sorry if we did not make haste. "See that girl over there? That's my daughter and she'll make sure you go!". His daughter ambled over. She was wearing a big belt with a Colt 45 revolver on each hip! Needless to say, Alex had been too keen on the scones and tea and not ascertained whose property we were really on. Was he in the doghouse! Fortunately, the farmer had not shot at our truck.........

Those are some serious distances to cover between charges!

Dubbo to Cobar: 297km
Cobar to Wilcannia: 261km
Wilcannia to Broken Hill: 196km

I'd never dare! Westbound from Dubbo to Cobar I'd need 100%, max 90km/h, and I'd probably still hypermile it drafting behind a truck. Eastbound from Cobar to Dubbo, well, you can only charge to 95% on an NRMA 50kW charger, which would make it even dicier.

Heck, I had major range anxiety between Moree (96%) and Coonabarabran (on 8%). I took the first half at 110km/h and watched the guessometer constantly tick down. The second half, through the Pilliga, well, I kept it slow & drafted where I could, and I still arrived on only 8%. And that's only 220km.

Fortunately I'm not that keen to visit Broken Hill, but...

Excellent news re the Barrier Highway. We have a cottage booked in Broken Hill for a couple of days (the one with the charger on Plugshare) and are coming up from Mildura (about 300km).
Regarding distances, in the X I operate on about 250Wh/KM on the highway with passengers and luggage, fridge etc. This works OK out west where it is fairly flat. So 300KM is about 75KWh, no problems with the 100D even with a couple of years battery degradation. I still keep an eye on things with the consumption graph though, head / side winds can severely dent consumption. Also tyre pressure should be watched. Some people suggest tailing trucks and vans to increase range but stonechips and rocks (and bad vibes) are not worth it.
If one is continuing to Adelaide from Broken Hill (as we are), the nearest charger is in Jamestown (326KM) - AC 3 phase. This will allow a quick top up over lunch to enable us to get to Clare Supercharger. A Better Route Planner has suggested limiting speed to 100KM/h for the BH - Jamestown stretch so we will see.