Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are some serious distances to cover between charges!

Dubbo to Cobar: 297km
Cobar to Wilcannia: 261km
Wilcannia to Broken Hill: 196km

I'd never dare!

I don’t think I’d blink at those distances with Model 3 LR. But maybe I am being naive…

Of course, if the single-stall charger was OoO when you arrived, that would result in that horrible sinking feeling 🙁

I think it's a given that they are also planning a site at Nyngan in the future - maybe the location hasn't been locked down yet.
In fact they do have a location agreed in Nyngan:
That Council authorises the General Manager to enter into a licence agreement with National Roads and Motorists’ Association Limited (NRMA) covering the area of one parking bay as well as an area for a Charging Station and electrical switchboard on Lot 23 DP 776559 (land between Pangee Lane and Dr Chan’s Residence/Surgery) for a period of 5 years, from a date to be negotiated with the NRMA, at $1 per year.
This appears to be 16 Pangee Lane.

And this is why it might be a while before I can be convinced to take the family on a road trip where we would be relying on these 1 stall charging towns.
It can be a leap of faith when you head out to the next charger and you cross the line of no return back to the previous one. Things are slowly improving but mainly along the east coast. The further west you go the more of an 'adventure' it becomes.
Narrandera is also giving problems.

Does anyone publish uptime stats? I don't think Plugshare is much of a guide but perhaps some alternative brands of charger such as ABB or Kempower could be brought into the mix to give Tritium a bit of competition in the Oz market.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
True, that would be the least of our troubles in that case.

Point still stands in general though.

Yes absolutely agree in general regarding single stall sites. Very high risk of being stranded, especially in rural areas.

Since the government is now providing grants to 3rd parties who roll out chargers, I think they should set a couple of conditions to qualify for taxpayer $.

1) Each site must be a minimum of 2 stalls

2) Real time status of chargers must be accessible online by the public.

Yes absolutely agree in general regarding single stall sites. Very high risk of being stranded, especially in rural areas.

Since the government is now providing grants to 3rd parties who roll out chargers, I think they should set a couple of conditions to qualify for taxpayer $.

1) Each site must be a minimum of 2 stalls

2) Real time status of chargers must be accessible online by the public.
Tagging @Vostok for your departmental meeting. This is a standards issue.

Reactions: Pixor and Vostok
Hello folks. Greetings from a wintry (yes, it's down to a frigid 12°C right now) Central Valley of northern California, USA. Take a look at this (Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World) and make sure I haven't buggered up the info for Australia (in the notes). Fortunately, I can revise the table and notes if need be.

Before I started I had no idea that worldwide Tesla charging was so diverse. I'm not an electrician or engineer. But I guess that part of the reason may be due to different electrical grid equipment and standards used in different regions (120v at households in the US and Canada, 230v in Europe, 220v in China, 230v in Australia, etc.).

Last edited:
Hello folks. Greetings from a wintry (yes, it's down to a frigid 12°C right now) Central Valley of northern California, USA. Take a look at this (Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World) and make sure I haven't buggered up the info for Australia (in the notes). Fortunately, I can revise the table and notes if need be.

Before I started I had no idea that worldwide Tesla charging was so diverse. I'm not an electrician or engineer. But I guess that part of the reason may be due to different electrical grid equipment and standards used in different regions (120v at households in the US and Canada, 230v in Europe, 220v in China, 230v in Australia, etc.).
That all looks correct to me, with the very slight caveat that Model 3 has always had the CCS2 connector from the first ones delivered in Australia / New Zealand.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352