Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now if we can get one in Bourke, I'll be able to replicate a road trip I did a few years back of Sydney - Parkes - Nyngan - Bourke - Lightning Ridge - Coonamble back to Sydney.

The one at the Riverside in Bourke has been there for a while, and it's a nice hotel. So maybe I can try as soon as the Nyngan one opens.

Nyngan one was added just this morning! Perhaps you saw it @cbo100 but didn't realise it was news :)

1637820011908.png

Here's hoping a charger of some description will also be installed at the Emmdale Roadhouse (160km west of Cobar, 101km east of Wilcannia). Even half an hour on AC would ease a lot of nerves if there's extreme heat, or wind, or rain, or anything else that impacts your range. Especially since NRMA chargers won't take your car past 95%.
It does appear tight in a 2020 SR+ with ABRP recommending 80-90 speed limiting.

From a quick google it does appear they offer powered and unpowered campsites but no-one has ever seemingly used it.

Reactions: Hairyman
Nyngan one was added just this morning! Perhaps you saw it @cbo100 but didn't realise it was news :)

Just need one now in Tibooburra 😄

The map of DCFCs in NSW is starting to look truly awesome. It’s a completely different picture to when I bought my Model 3 only 2 years ago. And the NSW Government’s $171M investment in charging hasn’t even started yet.

Here's hoping a charger of some description will also be installed at the Emmdale Roadhouse (160km west of Cobar, 101km east of Wilcannia). Even half an hour on AC would ease a lot of nerves if there's extreme heat, or wind, or rain, or anything else that impacts your range. Especially since NRMA chargers won't take your car past 95%.
Emmdale is on the NSW gov map for four plugs by 2023 Evenergi Map

Arrived in Mildura after completing the Sturt Highway "NRMA run". Used the chargers at Wagga, Narrandera, Hay and Balranald.
All went well, all the chargers were working and there were no queues. Saw one other EV, a Model 3 coming the other way between Hay and Balranald. I think though that even a small increase in EV traffic along this highway would overwhelm the current charging capacity. What the NRMA have done is make this route possible in an EV but more capacity will be needed soon.
We stayed at Hay, our Motel did not have a destination charger (none of them do). I think there is a market for these chargers in places like Hay on routes such as the Sturt Highway.
Max charge rate we got from the NRMA Tritiums was 45kW at Balranald.
Hay to Balranald was into strong head / side winds from a weather front, a 10% buffer would not have been enough without slowing down. We were at 320+ Whr/km, normally it is around 250 (3 adults plus luggage, fridge, spare tyre, charging gear).
These Tritiums have their cooling vents at the bottom and subsequently get all the dust, leaves, spider webs etc collecting in / around them. They really need better protection from the elements.
Speaking of spiders, the plugholders on the units and the plugs themselves must be attractive to them. The Narrandera unit in particular was home to several redbacks including in the CCS plug handle. So watch out! The Chademo plugs looked to have been unused for some time (covered in cobwebs).

I think though that even a small increase in EV traffic along this highway would overwhelm the current charging capacity. What the NRMA have done is make this route possible in an EV but more capacity will be needed soon.
It will be interesting to see what the NSW Government funding proposes for supplementing that route.

Also worth a mention that the Victorian CTR network included a site at Robinvale, which is an alternative between Balranald and Mildura.

Reactions: Hairyman