Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that's an interesting thought.

If you do that, OI will factor a lot more time slots than perhaps needed. But you will defo get your car to the charge you set.

I'm not clear if OI will cheap rate all those slots, even if they're not being used by the car. It wouldn't surprise me if they do. They may also see that as gaming the system at some point in the future.
but you get off peak 23:30 to 5:30 anyway

As long as you set up to finish your charge for, let's say 6:30 - in 90% of cases your charge schedule will be done during these off peak hours. Only on some occasions with Octopus will see that it is not enough time (or when power is cheapest) - it will allocate time in those specific slots.

but in my cases, as soon as I put anything but 100% charge in Octopus app, my charge finishes quite below the charge limit set on car. for example, if I set up 80% charge limit on the car and 80% on the app, I end up at like 70% or so. Not sure why it is like that but this is my observation

but you get off peak 23:30 to 5:30 anyway

As long as you set up to finish your charge for, let's say 6:30 - in 90% of cases your charge schedule will be done during these off peak hours. Only on some occasions with Octopus will see that it is not enough time (or when power is cheapest) - it will allocate time in those specific slots.

but in my cases, as soon as I put anything but 100% charge in Octopus app, my charge finishes quite below the charge limit set on car. for example, if I set up 80% charge limit on the car and 80% on the app, I end up at like 70% or so. Not sure why it is like that but this is my observation
And if you have that problem, and you do as you suggest I don't think it's an issue. It's more people like me who have ready by as 8am... that'd be gaming the system.

I always ready to 8 am, but I would prefer to have car ready at 6 am in case of emergency or whatever. I see no issues it sitting on my drive fully charged to the level I require.

you can, of course, play the system like hell. even make "ready by 4 am" and have all the benefits of cheap electricity in the evening.

remember, your whole household gets off peak rates even if you are not charging your car anyway for 6 hours. so I see no issues here.
There is nothing in TOS saying that you must be accurate with charge levels you "REALLY" need.

Reactions: phil4
I've read through the thread, but my imbecilic nature means that I'm struggling to find out what the Octopus Go rates are likely to be come October - seems there's a spread of tariffs that people are on here.

I think the latest figures on their website are from July?

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 14.20.18.png

I've been thinking about switching from Ecotricity, but their prices for leccy are 35.57p/kWh, with a standing charge of 42p. A spreadsheet I've knocked up assuming Octopus went with the old cap of 52/kWh suggested that I'd need to fully charge my MX90D 5.45 times at night in order to break even. Our everyday car is a Zoe, which we'd need to charge 22 times in a month for Octopus to work out cheaper.

I figure that if I switch, Octopus' prices will be lower than what I've modelled though, so I'm keen to figure out what they'd actually charge :)

I've read through the thread, but my imbecilic nature means that I'm struggling to find out what the Octopus Go rates are likely to be come October - seems there's a spread of tariffs that people are on here.

View attachment 854655
I've been thinking about switching from Ecotricity, but their prices for leccy are 35.57p/kWh, with a standing charge of 42p. A spreadsheet I've knocked up assuming Octopus went with the old cap of 52/kWh suggested that I'd need to fully charge my MX90D 5.45 times at night in order to break even. Our everyday car is a Zoe, which we'd need to charge 22 times in a month for Octopus to work out cheaper.

I figure that if I switch, Octopus' prices will be lower than what I've modelled though, so I'm keen to figure out what they'd actually charge :)
Some people think they will change, I don't.

Two main reasons for my rationale:
1. The blended rate is below the cap set by govt.
2. Octopus have previously made statements about Go that in their view the benefits are big for those who can load shift and making further reductions isn't a priority for them.

There might be a small tweak to the standing charge but I don't think we will see anything significant.

All my personal opinion with no special insights, etc etc.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Having peaks over 34p is a dick move. Presumably they’re working on the basis those people need/want the off peak so can get away with a higher than 34p peak without people leaving (because everyone seems to have waived exit penalties now)?

I’d have to do the math very carefully if Octopus do anything like that although begrudingly if peak stayed at my current 40p I’d probably stick with it but I’d then seriously consider a second battery as soon as I can afford it
The Government website states the following:
"For those customers on fixed rate tariffs, a ‘floor’ unit price for gas averaging at 10.3p/kWh and for electricity averaging at 34p/kWh for direct debit customers will also come into effect on 1 October 2022."
And also
"Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas will apply to fixed tariff customers to bring their rates down to, but not below, the floor unit price."

So the way I interpret it is that Octopus will indeed use the blended rate and adjust it so that it will never be less than 34p/kWh up to a maximum support of 17p/kWh.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll configure their billing systems to do this but for me, bearing in mind about 95% of my usage is at "Cheap o'clock" and my blended cost is usually below 9p/kWh it seems it'll make no difference. And, to be fair, I don't feel hard done by at all. Give the money to those who need it the most....

Can anyone tell me if the car will precondition itself outside of the IO schedule?

For example, if IO sets itself to finish charging at 05:30, but I don’t need the car till 08:30, if I set the car to precondition at that time will it do it?

Presumably the car would see itself as not plugged in for the three hours prior to departure so would it just use battery reserves to precondition?

I'm 99.9% sure it'll precondition as you request. If you're plugged into a dumb charger like the Tesla one, it'll see itself as plugged in and draw from it at peak rate. If it's actually physically unplugged it'll use the battery, but the IO stuff doesn't do that, so the Tesla will precondition at peak rate.

View attachment 854655

Why would you use 52p /kwh ?

We don't know what Octopus will move the day or nighttime price to yet, if they move it at all. What you can expect is that if your blended rate (total spend/ KWH) ends up >34p you'll see a rebate from Thick Lizzie on your bill to keep it at the new cap.

If the blended rate is below 34p you won't see a rebate.

... but in my cases, as soon as I put anything but 100% charge in Octopus app, my charge finishes quite below the charge limit set on car. for example, if I set up 80% charge limit on the car and 80% on the app, I end up at like 70% or so. Not sure why it is like that but this is my observation
It's giving you 100% of whatever the car is asking for. If you have it at 80% then it will give you 80% of what is set on the car... if that is also 80% then you will get 80% of 80%! (I don't have IO but this has come up before and does make sense.)

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
It's giving you 100% of whatever the car is asking for. If you have it at 80% then it will give you 80% of what is set on the car... if that is also 80% then you will get 80% of 80%! (I don't have IO but this has come up before and does make sense.)
well, it WOULD make sense, if app would not ask to "How full you like us to charge your battery"? not how much of your charge limit you would like.
IMG-20220920-WA0004.jpg

it MIGHT act like that but this is not what it is asking

So I received an email from octopus telling me impact from the government price guarantee along with a PDF for the impact on me personally.

Not sure if it's only me, but the PDF only talks about the impact on my Gas Tariff and nothing is mentioned with regards to my IO tariff that I moved over onto about a month ago.

Should I take that to mean they are not making any changes to that tariff, and that my daily and unit charges will remain the same?

Thanks.

So I received an email from octopus telling me impact from the government price guarantee along with a PDF for the impact on me personally.

Not sure if it's only me, but the PDF only talks about the impact on my Gas Tariff and nothing is mentioned with regards to my IO tariff that I moved over onto about a month ago.

Should I take that to mean they are not making any changes to that tariff, and that my daily and unit charges will remain the same?

Thanks.
I'm on Go Faster and just received the gas update. It confused me too! I guess we'll find out about the leccy soon.

I set the switch in motion from Go to IO about 9pm last night (having the car now). Did a test charge and that was that. Had an email at 9am confirming I’m on IO.

I’ll see how I do tonight with the first charge (I did a standard scheduled charge last night from 12.30-4.30am which went as planned).

I set the switch in motion from Go to IO about 9pm last night (having the car now). Did a test charge and that was that. Had an email at 9am confirming I’m on IO.

I’ll see how I do tonight with the first charge (I did a standard scheduled charge last night from 12.30-4.30am which went as planned).
I was holding on to confirm terms and conditions till the car came on the 27 but just pulled the trigger in case they do any tariff changes.