Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Go expires shortly and I have been quoted 7.5/39.84 with daily fee of 43.12. These are exactly the same as Intellligent Octopus which gives 6 hours low rate rather than 4 - so it seems a no brainer to switch to IO. I did email Octopus asking about the impact of govt support and got a response saying it didn’t apply to Go as it’s not a standard variable tariff……
probably I would be happy, really, to fix this rate for next year :D

My Go expires shortly and I have been quoted 7.5/39.84 with daily fee of 43.12. These are exactly the same as Intellligent Octopus which gives 6 hours low rate rather than 4 - so it seems a no brainer to switch to IO. I did email Octopus asking about the impact of govt support and got a response saying it didn’t apply to Go as it’s not a standard variable tariff……
You may find that you can fix the price of a go renewal 4-6 weeks ahead, but that you have to take whatever is on offer at the time you switch to IO, or finish your (advantageous) current fix for go straight away.
That's why I'm still on Go... 6 weeks later it was significant more expensive to move over to intelligent

The latest GO rates will be unlikely to change. If you you add up 4 x 7.5p and 20 x 38.82 (my rate starting next week) divided by 24, it comes out at an average rate of 33.6p over the 24 hours, so you are under the upper cap limit of 34p.
Yep. And there is the dilemma for must people that are due to renew soon. Mine is due for renewal on the 17th go October and Im thinking/hoping just like you that the prices quoted now won't change. I just dont want to give up the 5p/13.8p early for nothing in return!

Yep. And there is the dilemma for must people that are due to renew soon. Mine is due for renewal on the 17th go October and Im thinking/hoping just like you that the prices quoted now won't change. I just dont want to give up the 5p/13.8p early for nothing in return!
I signed up for the new rates last month. I stayed on the 13p/5p rate until it changes on the end date for that tariff and it will switch over to the new rate after that.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
Almost a month and counting since the sign up as a new Octopus customer on flexible tariff and 2 weeks or so since initiating the IO. Today finally meter reading is showing on the app but apparently they still can’t see it at their end so, waiting continues. Hopefully they will sort it out by end of the week and I can get the T& Cs and sign up for IO soon…it is rather disappointing not to be able to benefit from the off peak rate in the last 2 weeks especially with the arrival of our MY around mid September…

Almost a month and counting since the sign up as a new Octopus customer on flexible tariff and 2 weeks or so since initiating the IO. Today finally meter reading is showing on the app but apparently they still can’t see it at their end so, waiting continues. Hopefully they will sort it out by end of the week and I can get the T& Cs and sign up for IO soon…it is rather disappointing not to be able to benefit from the off peak rate in the last 2 weeks especially with the arrival of our MY around mid September…
Fingers crossed it gets sorted for you soon but at least you can see some progress.

I've been on the 4hr GO rate for the past few weeks and my blended rate for 7 days works out to be 33.32p and for 14 days it's 31.38p. A couple of abnormal days in there though, the Mrs used the pyrolytic cleaning on two of the ovens and that day was £17!, it was cheaper to charge the car on that day than clean the ovens :). So today I decided to move to IO, it's all gone through really quickly, test charge earlier and now have a schedule for this evening. Thought I might as well try it as it's 6hrs at 7.5p rather than for 4hrs with the same standing and peak rate.

A question - With IO when you plug the car in it starts charging and they say they will notice this and stop it, how long does that take to stop? and do they charge you at the 40p rate for whatever it takes? I manually stopped it today, but not sure I want to be doing that every time I charge it.

Reactions: Benotomy
I’ve transferred to Octopus Go now since mid Sept but the 7.5p off-peak rate doesn’t seem to be working. I had my suspicions and tested it yesterday (had to stay up late anyway to pick the missus up from a work do) and on the smart display it hadn’t updated the tariff and running the kettle drew the same cost from the grid as normal. Guess I’m gonna have to call them up (emails don’t seem to get responded to).

Anyone else had a similar issue?

I’ve transferred to Octopus Go now since mid Sept but the 7.5p off-peak rate doesn’t seem to be working. I had my suspicions and tested it yesterday (had to stay up late anyway to pick the missus up from a work do) and on the smart display it hadn’t updated the tariff and running the kettle drew the same cost from the grid as normal. Guess I’m gonna have to call them up (emails don’t seem to get responded to).

Anyone else had a similar issue?
My in-home display is still showing my old EDF rate, not the Go one, as is the electric meter. Now all I look at on the IHD is the kwH, I've given up on the cost. I've downloaded the octopus watch app from the app store on my phone and from that, you can see exactly what you're using and being charged on a daily basis.

It doesn't work with IO so now that's kicked in for me I'm not sure what it will show, I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days. I'm hoping it still shows all the data but just can't calculate anything where I get the off-peak rate outside of the off-peak hours.

Reactions: rowedav
Thats great to know. Did you do it all online?
I had an email reminding me my current 12 months were coming to an end and a link to click to sign up for another 12 months with the new tariff from the end date of the current deal. It also outlines our usage over the year peak and off-peak with the changes in cost. 95% of our usage is during the 4 hour window (powerwall + solar), so although the day rate is much higher, it still makes sense for us to stick with it.

May be worth checking you've not had one and its been junk filtered. I got my email on 22/8 for a 6/10 change over, so just over 6 weeks ahead.

Reactions: Js1977
My in-home display is still showing my old EDF rate, not the Go one, as is the electric meter. Now all I look at on the IHD is the kwH, I've given up on the cost. I've downloaded the octopus watch app from the app store on my phone and from that, you can see exactly what you're using and being charged on a daily basis.

It doesn't work with IO so now that's kicked in for me I'm not sure what it will show, I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days. I'm hoping it still shows all the data but just can't calculate anything where I get the off-peak rate outside of the off-peak hours.
Get the Octopus Compare app. It can display any two Octopus tariffs against daily usage for up to a month (free version, day-week-month) or a year (paid). Displayed cost is correct and includes the daily standing charge if you want it. Generally the previous days' data appears by mid day.

Octopus Compare includes historical data so you can also compare current use/cost with previous tariffs. Since early 2020 I've been through Agile, Go Faster and two versions of IO and currently display IO vs the Go Faster I used to be on.

A question - With IO when you plug the car in it starts charging and they say they will notice this and stop it, how long does that take to stop? and do they charge you at the 40p rate for whatever it takes? I manually stopped it today, but not sure I want to be doing that every time I charge it.
I believe it's up to 30 minutes before they notice. But yes, they charge you at 40p for that time.

So you can either stop it each time to minimise that, or live with a short period of 40p rate. Or do what I do and set a 23:30 (or just after) start time in the car, so it won't charge when plugged in. IO will still stop it at 23:30 if it's not the right slot.

Reactions: MattG5
Get the Octopus Compare app. It can display any two Octopus tariffs against daily usage for up to a month (free version, day-week-month) or a year (paid). Displayed cost is correct and includes the daily standing charge if you want it. Generally the previous days' data appears by mid day.

Octopus Compare includes historical data so you can also compare current use/cost with previous tariffs. Since early 2020 I've been through Agile, Go Faster and two versions of IO and currently display IO vs the Go Faster I used to be on.
Thanks for that - I've downloaded compare and looked at the last month and it shows IO would have saved me £17.75 over GO

Just for info - Octopus Watch is now showing the IO off-peak period, I guess it just won't be able to calculate any savings I make if I get some extra off-peak slots

I believe it's up to 30 minutes before they notice. But yes, they charge you at 40p for that time.

So you can either stop it each time to minimise that, or live with a short period of 40p rate. Or do what I do and set a 23:30 (or just after) start time in the car, so it won't charge when plugged in. IO will still stop it at 23:30 if it's not the right slot.
Cheers - I'll go with manually stopping it for now and then once I've run it a few times I'll try those changes to the car settings

Thanks for this - I had seen it on the app store previously but disregarding it as it wasn't an 'official' app. I've got it now though on your recommendation and can see me using it a lot in future. Thanks again!

Cheers - I'll go with manually stopping it for now and then once I've run it a few times I'll try those changes to the car settings
Just set departure off peak charging to on and 5:30. It won’t start charging when plugged in and IO will still control everything.

Just watch out for preconditioning as it will draw power from the mains. Wish there was a way to tell it to precondition during peak using the battery power, as it’s cheap!