Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking of joining this tariff when my EV arrives. The prices seem reasonable and are inline with the price cap but the standing charge is much cheaper. I’m with Bulb at the moment, who have gone into administration, so I’m still on the current price cap (19p kWh and 25p standing charge).

Do you guys think I should stick with Bulb until the new price cap kicks in (only a month away) or make the switch now? I’ve got a feeling the prices of IO will go up for new customers come April. I might have answered my own question lol but would like to hear others input.

My MY battery was at 52%, I set Tesla app and IO app to 80% and have been given 4 hour schedule. Car is charging at 7.4-7.5 kWh and estimated to about 30 mins short of reaching 80%. I selected all the right parameters when setting up so it looks like the IO app is underestimating battery size.
If I leave the Tesla app at 80% and put the IO app at 85% do you think this will solve it?
If I need 100% on the odd occasion, how do I bypass the IO app, do I just setup a schedule in the Tesla app?

My MY battery was at 52%, I set Tesla app and IO app to 80% and have been given 4 hour schedule. Car is charging at 7.4-7.5 kWh and estimated to about 30 mins short of reaching 80%. I selected all the right parameters when setting up so it looks like the IO app is underestimating battery size.
If I leave the Tesla app at 80% and put the IO app at 85% do you think this will solve it?
If I need 100% on the odd occasion, how do I bypass the IO app, do I just setup a schedule in the Tesla app?
I'd put tesla app to 100% just so there is no clashes, and yes put the IO to 85% and see what charge level you get.

I got to exactly 85% charge last night, don't know if it eventuially learns battery requirements over time compared to charger you have? It's supposed to be 'intelligent' so.....

If you wanted 100% for a one off just turn off the smart charge function on the IO app and set the tesla to start charging at 23:30 then you'll get your 6 hours of charging which should get you to 100%

Reactions: olej24
I got the same problem with IO, only my charger (pod point) is capped at 7 KW.

so in this case, I set IO to 100% charge, and adjust my car to required charge level, for example 90%. in this case I car reach the required charge in my car.

To bypass IO limits, while charging at home:
  • go to Octopus App
  • click on your profile icon top left
  • then scroll down to Intelligent Octopus
  • scroll down to very bottom and you will find Smart Charging - which you can turn off.
  • charge your car as with any other normal off-peak tariff
p.s. because IO is buggy, I disable Smart Charging every morning. otherwise I get vampire drain up to 4-5% per 24 hrs as car either is always online, either sleeps and awakes every hour or so.

Reactions: olej24 and btc1k
Has anyone seen a way with the Octopus API to get a list of what consumption was at what rate? As far as I can tell from the standard API docs it only shows the standard 6 hours per night as the rates API end point isn't account specific and the consumption end point doesn't include pricing.

To me IO is a no brainer at the current price if you don’t already have a fixed tariff as all variable tariffs are going to go up to 30p per kWh from April and then up again from October. With IO you can fix for at 30p peak for a year and then get the benefit of 7.5p off peak.

Reactions: NSS89
I have recently enabled Octopus Intelligent.
I have it with a Ohme Home Pro charger and my Model 3 LR.
Currently I find with the IO tariff the car will not sleep unless I stop the "Smart charging" feature, then log into TeslaMate and stop the sleep attempt, then put the car back to sleep.
Also, when I first plug the car in, it is constantly trying to start the charge straight away, which may be my charger(I have left it 10-20 minutes it doesn't automatically stop).
Its a bit frustrating, but I have passed comments back to Octopus, so I will wait to see what they say.
For info, my tariff rates are;
30.78p & 7.5p :)

Reactions: browellm
I have recently enabled Octopus Intelligent.
I have it with a Ohme Home Pro charger and my Model 3 LR.
Currently I find with the IO tariff the car will not sleep unless I stop the "Smart charging" feature, then log into TeslaMate and stop the sleep attempt, then put the car back to sleep.
Also, when I first plug the car in, it is constantly trying to start the charge straight away, which may be my charger(I have left it 10-20 minutes it doesn't automatically stop).
Its a bit frustrating, but I have passed comments back to Octopus, so I will wait to see what they say.
For info, my tariff rates are;
30.78p & 7.5p :)
Page 10 of this thread discusses a bug in IO that keeps the car awake.

You shouldn't have to do anything with Teslamate to get the car to sleep. In the default streaming configuration it has no way of affecting how the car sleeps. It only reads what the car is sending.

For me this is very much a trial product (and it is “sold” as such, this is no secret).
Experiences seem inconsistent with some people having no problems and others seeing erratic charging profiles.
Having the car awake more often than not also seems wasteful to me and makes me a bit uncomfortable.
I think this sort of plan is the future but with a 100 mile daily commute I need reliability for my charges and Go Faster is adequate for my needs so I will watch developments with interest but not make the change just yet.

For me this is very much a trial product (and it is “sold” as such, this is no secret).
Experiences seem inconsistent with some people having no problems and others seeing erratic charging profiles.
Having the car awake more often than not also seems wasteful to me and makes me a bit uncomfortable.
I think this sort of plan is the future but with a 100 mile daily commute I need reliability for my charges and Go Faster is adequate for my needs so I will watch developments with interest but not make the change just yet.
to be fair, I think I managed to live with it for now:
  • I set car to what ever desired charge level (80 - 90 % SOC range)
  • I set IO to 100%
  • I set IO that I need my car with desired charge for 6 am)
  • it charges to desired level with low rate.
it is all I really need, it even provides me some super cheap rates at 10 pm mark as well.

I hadn't thought about doing things that way round. Seems like a clever way to get one or two extra off-peak HH slots.
I have also configured mine like this, as I had noticed a couple of times when set to 90%(Car and Ohme & IO) it charges to 85%.

Will be testing it again tonight, see how it goes :)

If it fails tonight, I may try removing my car and account from the Ohme charger, then hopefully it will then be a completely "dumb" unit.

I hadn't thought about doing things that way round. Seems like a clever way to get one or two extra off-peak HH slots.
yes, as IO tells that they will not overwrite SC limits set in car. My main reason for this setup is that if I set car to 85% and IO set to 85% - it will achieve like 80% SC or so.. so terring IO to 100% it will make chare to full requested capacity

I have also configured mine like this, as I had noticed a couple of times when set to 90%(Car and Ohme & IO) it charges to 85%.

Will be testing it again tonight, see how it goes :)

If it fails tonight, I may try removing my car and account from the Ohme charger, then hopefully it will then be a completely "dumb" unit.
I will reply to myself….. in the end the car kept starting the charge itself, not waiting for the IO window.
I then removed the car from Ohme, and re added it, but did not let it login to my Tesla account.
Since then, the car has slept, and it has just started charging in my IO window.

Looking more positive so far, will test out more tomorrow!

For anyone whose car immediately charges but doesn't stop when plugging in, I can confirm that stopping within seconds via the Tesla app has worked every time for me & IO charges to the correct schedule (provided that IO was already activated in the Octopus app prior to connecting charge point to car).

Octopus have continued to investigate why IO is never able to stop my car from charging once plugged in but this fix is no hassle for me & avoids even the short peak rate charge which IO creates for others.