Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and as we discussed in the past, it is not, really.

Because Octopus do not take away any of the off-peak slots when you are not connecting/charging your car. also TOS does not explicitly say, that you cannot use it as normal go tariff as well as it does not really prevent you running any of electric devices during off peak times.
Makes sense I means what happens if you have two electric cars? You are going to charge the other one during the off peak. they can't really tell you not to surely? and you can't connect multiple vehicles to an IO account even if both are compatible which they may well not be?

Makes sense I means what happens if you have two electric cars? You are going to charge the other one during the off peak. they can't really tell you not to surely? and you can't connect multiple vehicles to an IO account even if both are compatible which they may well not be?
As per the T&Cs you’re not supposed to… but there’s a bit of leeway in their rule enforcement so that’s where you’re standing at the moment if/until they change their mind…

The relevant wordage from the T&Cs:

As a condition for joining and remaining on this tariff, you agree to download the Intelligent Octopus app and authorise Octopus integration with any required low carbon technology. If you do not download the app within 30 days of joining the tariff or if you do not have active authorisation for integration with any required low carbon technologies for a period of 30 days (e.g. if you have de-authorised and not renewed a previous authorisation), then Octopus may consider you to be in breach of this contract and move you on to another tariff.

So yeah, if you just use it as another dumb tariff they can boot you off. Whether they will or not, who knows? I think they’ll be more likely to kick off the worst offenders now given the saving windows give them a proper incentive to have more control over large demands.

IO has been acting out for me lately.

When I plug in after 5pm, it can take up to an hour before a schedule is created. Used to be pretty instant before.

And last night, I came home with a low battery (<20%), needed to get a full charge in the morning.
For some reason IO stopped my charge at 03:58am!! Lost out on 4 hours of charge as the schedule gave me until 8am in the morning... Not happy about it..
Just to bump up this.
I have plugged in over an hour ago. Still no schedule from IO. This seems to be getting worse and worse

It most certainly is.
1667328574093.png

Reactions: Skie and ACarneiro
The relevant wordage from the T&Cs:

So yeah, if you just use it as another dumb tariff they can boot you off. Whether they will or not, who knows? I think they’ll be more likely to kick off the worst offenders now given the saving windows give them a proper incentive to have more control over large demands.
Did you read what you quote?

The main premise and technical requirement to get into IO is to download app, authorise and have initial charge. Only then you can get onto IO. That's what this snippet says.

But in order to run it - nothing is here about daily usage. You can have scheduled charging starting from 23:30 and then IO will behave the same as if you plug in exactly 5 pm

As per quot in the screenshote, if you read it what it actually says: you give the permission for IO to contril your car and that's it. As the premise is you allow IO control by allowing it to connect to tesla account

There is no where in the Ts&Cs that you MUST charge your car every night and you must plug-in your car every night, and that your tariff will not be valid for household once you are not at home or not charging.

Last edited:
Line one of the extract: “You give Octopus permission to influence times of operation of your low carbon technology”.

So, if you continuously used a fixed schedule (as you would with Go) you’d be in breach on contract because they wouldn’t be able to influence charging times.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Did you read what you quote?

The main premise and technical requirement to get into IO is to download app, authorise and have initial charge. Only then you can get onto IO. That's what this snippet says.

But in order to run it - nothing is here about daily usage. You can have scheduled charging starting from 23:30 and then IO will behave the same as if you plug in exactly 5 pm

As per quot in the screenshote, if you read it what it actually says: you give the permission for IO to contril your car and that's it. As the premise is you allow IO control by allowing it to connect to tesla account

There is no where in the Ts&Cs that you MUST charge your car every night and you must plug-in your car every night, and that your tariff will not be valid for household once you are not at home or not charging.
I’m sorry but if you read 12. again it clearly states that you have to keep the integration running and let IO access and control your Tesla. And that if you don’t do that for 30 days they can kick you off the tariff.

So yes you don’t have to charge every night but IO will override scheduled charging the way it is currently set up so not sure what your point is?

Because Octopus do not take away any of the off-peak slots when you are not connecting/charging your car. also TOS does not explicitly say, that you cannot use it as normal go tariff as well as it does not really prevent you running any of electric devices during off peak times.
Yes and no (I might trade mark this expression at this rate)... Some of us read it the way it suits themselves, Others read it for what it is and there is even others that read it as they way it should be. Be that as it may, Octopus obviously have not made it very clear... or maybe they have... You decide :)

Yes and no (I might trade mark this expression at this rate)... Some of us read it the way it suits themselves, Others read it for what it is and there is even others that read it as they way it should be. Be that as it may, Octopus obviously have not made it very clear... or maybe they have... You decide :)
The spirit of the tariff's conditions seems very clear but I think some people may be wilfully misinterpreting the T&Cs in a way that suits them best.

All it says is you have to leave the IO app connected to the car. It says nothing about other usage and doesn't even imply it.. I don't know where people are getting that from.
Whether it applies to other cars depends on how you interpret 'low carbon technology' - it's either whatever you've registered with IO or something else - can't be everything as that would include my laptop, my phone... so that needs to be defined pretty tightly. If it's just what is registered with IO then other cars can be charged just fine.

Although I've been searching for 20 minutes now and I can't find the paragraph being quoted, so a link would have been nice.

Reactions: yessuz
So and in basic terms...is IO going to be a pain if you have household battery storage and want to utilise the cheaper rates for day time use?
At this point, as long as you also charge you car every now angle then, this doesn’t seem to be a problem.

If you setup to have your battery charged in the relevant slots (harder said than done) you’d definitely be in the spirt of things too.

If you setup to have your battery charged in the relevant slots (harder said than done) you’d definitely be in the spirt of things too.
It's not the (home battery) charging side of things which is problematic. With IO as it currently stands, charging the EV during the additional cheap time slots will drain some power from the home battery, potentially leaving you in the situation where you're drawing grid power at peak rate for the remainder of the evening.

Powerwall owners could tweak the standby reserve to avoid the problem, but there's no official way to automate this based on up-coming IO time slots (unofficial hacks are do-able). I wouldn't be surprised if this also messed up the "AI"'s predictive charging behaviour, so IO is off the menu for me. Not that I could have it anyway, with two EVs in the garage.