Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats pretty late notice

Definitely since National Grid gave the warning and notice yesterday.

2023-03-14 17:00From: Power System Manager - National Grid Electricity Control Centre NATIONAL GRID NOTIFICATION - DEMAND FLEXIBILTY SERVICE. DFS Tests have been instructed for tomorrow Wednesday 15/03/2023 between 18:30 and 19:30. Times in GMT The maximum demand reduction volume during this period is 271 MW. This will be System Tagged. For full details see the ESO Data Portal at ESO Data Portal: Demand Flexibility Service: Test Events - Dataset| National Grid Electricity System Operator. Notification Issued at 17:00 hours on 14/03/2023. Issued by Gavin Brown National Grid Electricity National Control Centre.

Although we’ve had the minimum 12 sessions, so if we get more it must be worthwhile for NatGrid and they’ve got to have spare budget. Remember the scheme ends in 2 weeks.

Definitely since National Grid gave the warning and notice yesterday.

2023-03-14 17:00From: Power System Manager - National Grid Electricity Control Centre NATIONAL GRID NOTIFICATION - DEMAND FLEXIBILTY SERVICE. DFS Tests have been instructed for tomorrow Wednesday 15/03/2023 between 18:30 and 19:30. Times in GMT The maximum demand reduction volume during this period is 271 MW. This will be System Tagged. For full details see the ESO Data Portal at ESO Data Portal: Demand Flexibility Service: Test Events - Dataset| National Grid Electricity System Operator. Notification Issued at 17:00 hours on 14/03/2023. Issued by Gavin Brown National Grid Electricity National Control Centre.

Although we’ve had the minimum 12 sessions, so if we get more it must be worthwhile for NatGrid and they’ve got to have spare budget. Remember the scheme ends in 2 weeks.
I notice on the DFS report linked to there, Octopus where the only firm with status Rejected, everyone else marked as Accepted

CUBUKLtd, DraxEnergySolutionsLtd, OrangePowerLTD and FlexitricityLimited also rejected bids.

Octopus Energy also accepted for their bulk domestic customer base, and in all previous (aside from live) rejected for their other customer types.

Delay in notifying from email “we really want to find out how readily people can get involved in a Saving Session with different amounts of notice.”

CUBUKLtd, DraxEnergySolutionsLtd, OrangePowerLTD and FlexitricityLimited also rejected bids.

Octopus Energy also accepted for their bulk domestic customer base, and in all previous (aside from live) rejected for their other customer types.

Delay in notifying from email “we really want to find out how readily people can get involved in a Saving Session with different amounts of notice.”
Interesting that Octopus are paid £3/kWh , so 75p/kWh income.

Not specifically about my tariff but I wanted to give a shout out to Octopus for this...

My account has been showing 'uh-oh it looks like we can't connect to your meter' for three days. I sent a twitter personal message 30 minutes ago, had a response after 7 minutes that this was being sent through to 'the DCC' to investigate and 5 minutes after that all the data was back and up to date. Followed by another tweet from Octopus to confirm and hoping that I had all I needed.

12 minutes from request to resolution. As I always find by tweeting via personal message, responses from Octopus are extremely prompt!

Exceptional service - as always in my experience :)
You’ve done well mate. I’ve been contacting them since July 2021 about getting a replacement display sent out cos mines clearly goosed.

Had an email this morning from Octopus telling me that the connection has been lost with the car and to reconnect. All was fine when trying to reconnect. Did notice a message that I have not seen before on the device section. Wondered if anyone had the same this morning, or if this is something new.

E600D219-7474-4243-99A7-8554EB533342.jpeg

Had an email this morning from Octopus telling me that the connection has been lost with the car and to reconnect. All was fine when trying to reconnect. Did notice a message that I have not seen before on the device section. Wondered if anyone had the same this morning, or if this is something new.
I've had the same email from Octopus this morning despite successfully charging on IO last night. It's either an error or there is some underlying reason why they want us to reconnect, perhaps a reauthentication is required to gain additional access to parameters such as the set charge level in the car?

I'm thinking of switching to IO. I'm on Go currently and haven't had any issues. Love the simplicity of it. The 4hrs off-peak I get will add about 118miles of range which is fine for my normal usage but if I need a full battery I do need to kind of plan ahead for that and charge up over two overnight sessions.

The lure of an extra 2 hours of cheaper electricity, and being able to charge upto 90/95/100% charge when needed is tempting. Decisions, decisions.

With IO you get 23:30 to 05:30 discounted to 10 p/kWh, every night - with the side benefit that they may opt to charge your EV to meet time/SoC targets and discount your general household energy during peak times in half-hour blocks, when that happens. Provided eligible vehicle or charger and frequent scheduling use, not really much down side, but do check standing charges and annual electrical consumption pattern.

Reactions: rowedav
I have difficulties fathoming how the current IO prices can work given the new EPG / cap for Electricity is at 33.21p from April 1st.

With the current 44.17p / 10p, that's an average of 35.62p .....

They would have to lower the rate somehow... And I'm not even talking about the real wholesale cost right now...

The new tariff is no longer fixed, but a kind of sticky variable to be eligible for extended EPG, so there's scope to reduce - but whether they will…

It all comes down to knowing what percentage of off-peak rate is typically achieved and whether that beats Go / Flexible Octopus.

According to IO renewal they reckon 21.1% of my energy use is during off-peak, just wish it was easier to determine the true % from the website data download. In reality it’s 71.2% off-peak rate and so average fixed rate 14.69 p/kWh.

Last edited:
The new tariff is no longer fixed, but a kind of sticky variable to be eligible for extended EPG, so there's scope to reduce - but whether they will…

It all comes down to knowing what percentage of off-peak rate is typically achieved and whether that beats Go / Flexible Octopus.

According to IO renewal they reckon 21.1% of my energy use is during off-peak, just wish it was easier to determine the true % from the website data download.
My point was, don't they *have to*? Precisely because they are now variable, so EPG must apply, mustn't it? I imagine it's not at the supplier discretion whether to do it or not?

Also are they using individual usage and 'real consumption' or just constant output with a simply daily average on hours?

If my assumption is correct then those on IO 'variable' at this new rate should expect a decrease by the end of next week...

Reactions: Pink Duck
I think provided your usage means your average cost per kWh is below the 34p cap, they can set the rates as they do (the your average is stated on each bill). Greg outlined this reasoning in an email back when the cap first came about.

I believe the flex is so they're not tied to year long contracts if things go badly skywards again, as opposed to wanting to tie in with price caps.

View attachment 920450
I got this message yesterday but didn't receive an email. I messed around with the charge limits on the car and in the app, but the message wouldn't go away. I still got an IO schedule last night and it charged to the set % but the message is still there now.

I've been having issues now for a couple of weeks with IO reconising the car and charging. If I disconnect the car, then reconnect, it seems to work for a day or two, then tells me it can't connect to the car and asks to renew the connection. The last communication I had from Octopus was to disengage smart charging, and wait for a fix from them, which still hasn't come.