Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having issues now for a couple of weeks with IO reconising the car and charging. If I disconnect the car, then reconnect, it seems to work for a day or two, then tells me it can't connect to the car and asks to renew the connection. The last communication I had from Octopus was to disengage smart charging, and wait for a fix from them, which still hasn't come.

Could this be a car/wifi connectivity issue?

I have difficulties fathoming how the current IO prices can work given the new EPG / cap for Electricity is at 33.21p from April 1st.

With the current 44.17p / 10p, that's an average of 35.62p .....

They would have to lower the rate somehow... And I'm not even talking about the real wholesale cost right now...
This is why I'm going to change to just regular Agile when my Go Faster expires on the 25th. I work from home; I don't use my car daily for work travel & my daytime use is relatively high. So I charge my car less than many & certainly not enough for IO to make up the difference overnight with the very high daytime rate.

It will be a bit more messing around but I'm intending to use my podpoint scheduler (or perhaps look at other apps) to charge in the cheaper overnight periods of Agile. For instance, the average price tomorrow morning from 01:30 to 05:30 is 10.75p. If I can be bothered to set schedules for multiple days, I could even just do 90 minutes of charging for 9p to maximise the savings. Obviously with Agile, the values and times change daily, so if I need to charge I'll just have to remember to set my schedule when I plug in. I usually don't charge more than once per week, but if I can pick & choose the low points on Agile, I'll probably leave my car plugged in & just set it to charge when it's cheap through the week.

The daily average price for March so far has been 26.53p, which is cheaper than any other tariff for general daily use, i think.

Has anyone had their direct debit significantly bumped after their emails about pricing? I’ve only been with them a month, and not even been billed yet, but they’ve seen fit to bump my direct debit up £80 from 1st April
Unless you are financially strapped I recommend paying actual billed amounts by variable direct debit. Companies always seem to end up collecting your money and being reluctant to give it you back….

Reactions: Slarty1080
I have difficulties fathoming how the current IO prices can work given the new EPG / cap for Electricity is at 33.21p from April 1st.

With the current 44.17p / 10p, that's an average of 35.62p .....

They would have to lower the rate somehow... And I'm not even talking about the real wholesale cost right now...
The price cap is applied to customers on a default energy tariff.

You are of course free to switch to a default tariff for the EPG.

How can one switch to this payment method with Octopus?
The companies rarely seem to promote this option. I emailed [email protected] For information my subject line was "Full bill payment each month" and the content was "I would like to change my payment arrangement to paying the exact amount of my bill in full each month by Direct Debit. At present my monthly payments are averaged over the year. I would be grateful if this change could be instigated as soon as possible and my full accumulated balance returned to my bank account (£xxxx to date). Many thanks."

A variable Direct Debit was set up by Octopus and all has been well ...

The companies rarely seem to promote this option. I emailed [email protected] For information my subject line was "Full bill payment each month" and the content was "I would like to change my payment arrangement to paying the exact amount of my bill in full each month by Direct Debit. At present my monthly payments are averaged over the year. I would be grateful if this change could be instigated as soon as possible and my full accumulated balance returned to my bank account (£xxxx to date). Many thanks."

A variable Direct Debit was set up by Octopus and all has been well ...
Thanks, didn’t even know this was an option

Pay in full each month was how my account was setup after I switched over from E.On Next, was expecting equal monthly payments by DD but variable DD has worked well. Glad I won’t be building up a massive credit like I did with E.On Next, took months after the switch to be refunded.

Car ( device) disconnected and reconnected as it won't charge beyond 50%.
The other day I was awarded a smart charge session and the car wasn't plugged in.
I've now simply disconnected the car and will charge, when required, via the schedule.
My average unit cost is sub 12ppkw, as I load up my batteries ( load shift etc) from 11.30pm and that usually gives us 24hrs

I scrolled a couple of pages back, but couldn't see anything relevent, does anyone know what the go/go faster prices are going to be from 1st April? Need to get my spreadsheet out to decide if it's time to come off my so.energy e7 tarrif.

We just had their price change notification come through and day rate is going down, but night rate is going up, which will have a disproportionate impact of us as battery users in addition to the car charging.

Ideally looking for a 5hr slot late in the eve, not sure if that's still running?